Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's laughable how we over hype our manager's to such a ridiculous degree. I'm a big fan of Koeman and I believe he can do great thing's here if given time and money but Barcelona right now? At this stage of his career?! Get real!

We've got to stop this stupid over rating our manager's, loads of people were convinced that to Martinez was leaving us after his first fluke season and I honestly lost track of the amount of times everyone said Moyes was gonna leave! Koeman haven't done anything to justify Barcelona even looking at him. They could have any manager they wanted. Ronnie will have to do a hell of a lot more before they show any serious interest. The only people taking the idea of him going there this summer seriously are bedwetting blues.

At 53, unless he really does well here, this is it for him, then why would he leave - well yeah there's the money and Barca - but apart from that??

It's not his age that I'm talking about when I say this stage of his career. I just don't see his as a successful enough manager (yet) for them to take serious interest. I doubt the compensation would be a factor, if Barcelona really wanted him they wouldn't be arsed about that as its buttons to them. I do agree that his playing style would be the obvious reason he won't go there. I just seriously doubt they have any interest in him at all if truth be told.

At the moment it's the media and his name that gets him in the frame - he won't even get an interview.

The 'bloke in between' took us to a top tier points total...one we have struggled and failed to reach since the 80s.

5th, been there loads of times. The Scottish bloke who punted down the channels with a negative net spend frequented it multiple times and went one better.

To get back on topic, bashing Koeman for not being top tier is ridiculous. He was one of the best names not managing a CL club available to us. He is s multiple trophy winner (whether you give his trophies any credence or not) and he has the name from his playing days to attract talent. Players want to be coached by Ronald Koeman. It's difficult to say that about any of our managers stretching back to probably Harvey, maybe Royle (obviously Kendall before those).

5th, been there loads of times. The Scottish bloke who punted down the channels with a negative net spend frequented it multiple times and went one better.

To get back on topic, bashing Koeman for not being top tier is ridiculous. He was one of the best names not managing a CL club available to us. He is s multiple trophy winner (whether you give his trophies any credence or not) and he has the name from his playing days to attract talent. Players want to be coached by Ronald Koeman. It's difficult to say that about any of our managers stretching back to probably Harvey, maybe Royle (obviously Kendall before those).
Moyes was also regularly getting the us top 5 positions whilst England were constantly having champions league winners, Runners up and at least 2 semi finalist per season. Martinez got the us 5th whilst Spurs and UTD were doing that badly they sacked their managers.

Koeman already has a better win % at Everton than Martinez and Moyes and long may it continue.

A manager has to fit a club, it can go wrong for even the best manager at the best club if the fit just isn't right or they are there at the wrong time. Countless good Italian managers have flopped at Juve only to win at Milan or vice versa. Enrique doesn't pull up trees at Roma but wins the treble at Barca. Moyes was perfect for Everton in 2003 but not 2013. It's largely irrelevant what happened to Koeman at Valencia or any other club really, does he fit with Everton at the moment? Yes. He's United the squad behind him, the players seem to revere him, he's commanding respect from the media, he has what seems to be s nice blend of healthy expectations but the time and resources to achieve them.

The 'bloke in between' took us to a top tier points total...one we have struggled and failed to reach since the 80s.

He did that with David Moyes's well-drilled defense. The two seasons that followed showed him to be a clown when our defence was regularly shredded. The defensive improvement under Koeman can not be argued with. Martinez's false positivity was starting to grate upon everyone. Do you prefer him over Koeman?

I'll be honest, it's not as if I knew much about Koeman before he got here other than the fact he was the manager smart enough to bring VVD to the Premier League and he beat Liverpool and got rar in Klopp's personal space about it. I also heard he had a poor record with bringing in kids, but that doesn't seem to have followed him to Everton thus far

Right now, my opinion is that he looks to be shrewd and can be tactically flexible when the need arises. He doesn't seem married to one style of play, but he also seems to want us to get the ball on the deck a bit more which is gradually happening with each passing game

Basically, I'm pleased with what he's done thus far. He's still got more to do, but at the moment I think he's done a good job in stabilising us following two very sub standard League campaigns, and we've had a decent run where we've rarely lost (Just that Leicester Cup game since the turn of the year I think?)

I never thought he'd be here long term, with a max spell of 2-3 years before he moved on, but at this moment if he left in the summer the new manager would be picking up a team on the way up as opposed to down. Hopefully we can get at least two seasons from him so he can leave as strong a foundation for his successor as possible

I think he is steadily taking us forward, and I enjoy going the match way more now than I did in those last two Martinez seasons, so that's also a plus. It was always going to take time for us to get where we want to be, especially with potential costs of a stadium move lingering on the horizon, but Koeman is building a good base so far, so fair play to him

He did that with David Moyes's well-drilled defense. The two seasons that followed showed him to be a clown when our defence was regularly shredded. The defensive improvement under Koeman can not be argued with. Martinez's false positivity was starting to grate upon everyone. Do you prefer him over Koeman?

I think Dave prefers the style of football Martinez championed when he got it right over the style Koeman champions when he gets it right, and let's be honest sometimes under Martinez the football was great, like when we battered Arsenal at Goodison

The problem is that Martinez couldn't deliver that football consistently and didn't know how to win without it, whereas Koeman seems more flexible and willing to tinker with formation and tactics should Plan A not be working. That's how I see it anyway

At 53, unless he really does well here, this is it for him, then why would he leave - well yeah there's the money and Barca - but apart from that??
Well of course he'd leave if there was better opportunity for him elsewere, but I'm far from convinced that there's anyone in a better position then us who would offer him more money and a better chance of success then we do right now. He'd have to be more then a bit successful here for anyone above us to take an interest.
At the moment it's the media and his name that gets him in the frame - he won't even get an interview.
It's not just the media and their endless agenda driven nonsense, it's partly our own fans who seem to think everyone is out to steal our manager's/players because we horribly overrate them. It never occurs to a massive amount of our fan base that Barcelona would probably piss themselves laughing at the idea of having Koeman as their manager. In the future once he's proven himself possibly, but right now no chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back