Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pocchetino said the exact same thing about being linked with the Barcelona job today Dave

Headline from Sky sports -
Mauricio Pochettino 'understands' Barcelona interest but is 'happy' at Tottenham
Yeah, but he's every right to make that statement.

Or for that matter - here's Martinez in April 2014

On talk of him moving to Arsenal or Barcelona:
"In football when things are going well you always get this sort of speculation and you take it as a compliment. It’s a good sign and means things are going well"
That's a bit different to saying you understand why you'd be spoken of for the job.

I'll tell you why I cant understand it: the last ten years he's done nothing and won nothing.

...just checked the odds for next Barcelona Manager and Ernesto Valverde is favourite. Koeman is biggest priced 12-1 and 4 managers are shorter in the betting but the bookies clearly don't have a clue.

..unless they announce a new manager any time soon I think RK will be sick to the back teeth of being questioned at every interview.
What he should do is laugh and say "Me, Barcelona manager? You're taking the piss aren't you?"

Yeah, but he's every right to make that statement.
That's a bit different to saying you understand why you'd be spoken of for the job.

I'll tell you why I cant understand it: the last ten years he's done nothing and won nothing.

Dave, Pocchetino said the same thing as Koeman did when asked the same question, Pocchetino has won nothing in the last 10 years

Koemans words btw - when asked if he understands the link -

Of course. Every word from my side about Barcelona is too much. I don’t speak about Barcelona

What exactly is wrong with that answer? He's a former Barcelona player and legend (and assistant manager) at a club that historically appoints former players as managers, if he'd answerd 'no i don't understand the link' then you'd have slated him for lying LOL

...can't see that happening. From his interview a few weeks ago Erwin Koeman said he prefers not to be in the spotlight. I suspect they are a partnership. It's a good point you make, though.

If the worst happened and they did leave the lad at Hull has done a fine job since he's been there (as long as he leaves Niasse).

Definitely agree with the lad from Hull

...they like ex-players because they 'get Barcelona' so he must be under consideration, especially if he continues to push us in the right direction.

Mate he honestly isn't worth the effort anymore, two days before a very important game (in a season he said ended in January) and all he is bothered about doing is trying to have a pop at the manager

Dave, Pocchetino said the same thing as Koeman did when asked the same question, Pocchetino has won nothing in the last 10 years

Koemans words btw - when asked if he understands the link -

Of course. Every word from my side about Barcelona is too much. I don’t speak about Barcelona

What exactly is wrong with that answer? He's a former Barcelona player and legend (and assistant manager) at a club that historically appoints former players as managers, if he'd answerd 'no i don't understand the link' then you'd have slated him for lying LOL
Pocchetino has taken and moulded Spurs into genuine title challengers and CL regulars. He also put together the framework at Southampton that Koeman stepped into and used.

He's understandably looked at by a big club like that. Koeman has done f.a. here or elsewhere for a decade.

...they like ex-players because they 'get Barcelona' so he must be under consideration, especially if he continues to push us in the right direction.
Ex players yes. Ex payers who set a team up that's pretty much alien to their style of play?

Ex players yes. Ex payers who set a team up that's pretty much alien to their style of play?

....there's more than one way to skin a cat. I dare say whoever goes into Barcelona will have his own way of playing. As I've said about RK, his Everton team is work in progress and even this season we are seeing improvements. You have a fixed view of his team model which I think is unfair. He'll need a few transfer windows to bring in who he wants to play the way he wants, then you can define the tactical model.

Pocchetino has taken and moulded Spurs into genuine title challengers and CL regulars. He also put together the framework at Southampton that Koeman stepped into and used.

He's understandably looked at by a big club like that. Koeman has done f.a. here or elsewhere for a decade.

He's turned them into CL regulars? - is that by managing to qualify for it once so far mate - thats a really bizarre measurement of regular like.

Koeman inherrited the framework, but one that had been stripped of nearly every decent player - but he rebuilt and improved year on year even given those restroctions - so his time at Saints matches what Pocchetino did at that club mate.

As for Spurs being genuine title contenders - hmmm, they did finish 11 of Leicester last seaosn, but mathemathically at least in the media where trumpeted as the last title rival to fall away, as for this season - theyve never even been in a race mate as Chelsea have had it won since Christmas - unless Christam title challenges are now a thing your measuring (rs constant champions there)

Both failed as managers and where sacked in Spain previously as well just as another little comparasion.

Both good managers, both easy links to the Barca jobs, and both more proven than all 4 of Barcelons latest managers when appointed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back