Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Koeman learned his trade under Johan Cruyff as a player under him at Barcelona and Ajax.He did a very good job at Ajax as manager winning a league and cup double in his first season and another league title in his last full season at Ajax.Ajax also reached the quarter finals of the champions league where they lost narrowly to AC Milan who went on to win the thing.He would have won even more at Ajax but the board undermined him when they forced Louis Van Gall on him as a director of football so he quit.In summer 2011 he took over a Feyenoord team that finished 14th the previous season.Under Koeman Feyenoord finished 2nd 3rd and 2nd.He left a very good foundation for Giovanni Van Bronkhorst to build on.Feyenoord won the Dutch cup last season.

This season Feyenoord are leading the Eredivisie by 5 points.If they hold out Koeman can take his share of the credit for both the cup win last season and a first league title win since 1999.Obviously as an Evertonian and Ajacied i would prefer that didn't happen!But he picked up a football club on it's knees at Feyenoord and got it moving in the right direction again.He's doing the same at Everton.So far this season we have genuine hopes of finishing in a europa league spot.If we beat Spurs today it would sent out a serious message to the rest of the league that we are a force to be reckoned with again.It would also pipe down the naysayers like Davek!To be honest im quite confident that we are going to lay down a serious marker at White Hart Lane today.

The point is we need players in the rest of the attack/attacking midfield weighing in with 7/8 goals each...or at least a couple of them to do that. We are way off that with 12 matches left.

There's no question that this season we have relied inordinately on Lukaku.
TBH we've relied far too much on Rom in all four of those seasons. I know you're using it as a stick to beat Koeman with with Dave, but I think we need to look at the bigger picture. Our reliance on Lukaku since he's been here is criminal. I've looked at the other teams up and around us and, apart from Spurs who are heavily reliant on Kane/Barkley, the rest all have 4/5 attack minded players chipping in. Hate to say it but the RS spread theirs pretty evenly around 5 players.

I know Ross has had an up and down season which hasn't helped, but the sad truth is that we failed miserably to bring in a second striker and goal scoring midfielder in both windows this season. Something we have to properly address in the summer.

It's been answered decisively.

We have Lukaku and then a massive gap to anyone else. We have almost zero firepower in behind Lukaku.

This season so far our five top scorers are:

Lukaku 17
Coleman 4
Barkley 4
Mirallas 3

Baines 2

Last season our top scorers were:

Lukaku 18
Barkley 8
Lennon 5
Kone 5

Mori 4

The season before that our top scorers were:

Lukaku 10
Mirallas 7
Naismith 7

Jagielka 4
Coleman 3

And the season before that one our top scorers were:

Lukaku 15
Mirallas 7
Naismith 6
Barkley 6

Coleman 6

In bold the players you look to to get on the scoresheet and provide options in attack.

Quite clearly this season (and though there's still 12 games to go to improve this) we are overly reliant on Lukaku upfront to get the goals for us.
Don't agree to often with @davek but agree totally on this. Not signing a decent alternative goalscorer was, potentially, a big error. In my opinion of course.

It's been answered decisively.

We have Lukaku and then a massive gap to anyone else. We have almost zero firepower in behind Lukaku.

This season so far our five top scorers are:

Lukaku 17
Coleman 4
Barkley 4
Mirallas 3

Baines 2

Last season our top scorers were:

Lukaku 18
Barkley 8
Lennon 5
Kone 5

Mori 4

The season before that our top scorers were:

Lukaku 10
Mirallas 7
Naismith 7

Jagielka 4
Coleman 3

And the season before that one our top scorers were:

Lukaku 15
Mirallas 7
Naismith 6
Barkley 6

Coleman 6

In bold the players you look to to get on the scoresheet and provide options in attack.

Quite clearly this season (and though there's still 12 games to go to improve this) we are overly reliant on Lukaku upfront to get the goals for us.

You're right Dave.
But it's clearly - as your post shows - not just this season, is it...

It's not down to personnel that they haven't chipped in with more, it's down to the approach play.

Not committing numbers to counter attacking will result in an imbalance like the one we have this season...and woe betide any team playing like that who dont have one of the top strikers in the country on form playing for them.

Barkley Mirallas and co have hit consistent goal returns regardless of the manager. It's not the style of play, it's about players stepping up taking more responsibility maybe being a bit more selfish. Barkley has all the natural traits to be as good as Lampard but he doesn't have that desire to get on the scoresheet every game. The majority of the time we are not on the counter attack because aside from against a few sides away from home we are normally on the front foot.

TBH we've relied far too much on Rom in all four of those seasons. I know you're using it as a stick to beat Koeman with with Dave, but I think we need to look at the bigger picture. Our reliance on Lukaku since he's been here is criminal. I've looked at the other teams up and around us and, apart from Spurs who are heavily reliant on Kane/Barkley, the rest all have 4/5 attack minded players chipping in. Hate to say it but the RS spread theirs pretty evenly around 5 players.

I know Ross has had an up and down season which hasn't helped, but the sad truth is that we failed miserably to bring in a second striker and goal scoring midfielder in both windows this season. Something we have to properly address in the summer.
Tbf, we set up under Roberto to service Lukaku. We still do now, but we do so more directly and less in terms of him being the end product of build up play, and that means other players simply aren''t on the spot to get on the scoresheet regularly.

Barkley Mirallas and co have hit consistent goal returns regardless of the manager. It's not the style of play, it's about players stepping up taking more responsibility maybe being a bit more selfish. Barkley has all the natural traits to be as good as Lampard but he doesn't have that desire to get on the scoresheet every game. The majority of the time we are not on the counter attack because aside from against a few sides away from home we are normally on the front foot.
Barkley has been asked to lay the ball off more. That's a managerial decision. We dont emphasise a counter attacking approach that gets bodies forward in numbers. Thats a managerial preference.

This season it makes it more dramatic.

We've been criminal in the market for a few years now not going to get a proper striker for back-up or to start with Rom. Pretty much every team in the league has 2-3 strikers of similar level and we have Rom as the Branston beans to Valencia/Niasse/Kone as Asda's own.

I think if Kev could/did play a full season he'd be getting 10.

Makes sense: Koeman getting Pocchetino's sloppy seconds again.
Imagine getting Martinez'. He'd take you out for a nice meal, pay all sorts of compliments, tease with foreplay and promise of a wonderful time, then have his date stolen away while he went to the loo. He'd text the next day saying it was a 'phenomenonal moment in relationships' and they should do it again next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back