Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
200w.gif

You're very welcome.

And no, I dont scoff at the idea of a CL place. It means that we must do what I'VE BEEN ARGUING WE MUST DO FOR THE PAST 2 YEARS: GET OURSELVES INTO THE 70-75 POINT BRACKET AGAIN. because if we dont we'll ALWAYS KEEP GETTING PATTED ON THE HEAD AS THE BEST OF THE REST TEAM.

But you've said the season is over, it's clearly not if the magic number can still be achieved

We are on the up. Of course we are.

But we're 7th. Our competitive season ended when Leicester knocked us out of the cup two months ago. We are desperate for a handful of new players next season in a number of positions to really make significant progress to a position that matters in this league. But let's forget all about that and go OTT about achieving nothing instead.

I pretty much agree with that, but, with ten games to go, we're five points off fourth spot. Assuming the teams above us win their games in hand, we'd probably be about eight points off fourth.

That's certainly progress from the last couple of seasons, and even in "Season 72 points" we finished seven points off fourth. We'll probably finish the season about 10 points off fourth, which, given our poor Autumn form, suggests we could get a fair bit closer next season, which is hopefully when Koeman will really start to earn his cash.

For years we've always been "just a few players off" being able to compete. This time round, because of the TV money and being effectively debt free, we have a much better chance of actually making the step up.

*goes for a lie down

I pretty much agree with that, but, with ten games to go, we're five points off fourth spot. Assuming the teams above us win their games in hand, we'd probably be about eight points off fourth.

That's certainly progress from the last couple of seasons, and even in "Season 72 points" we finished seven points off fourth. We'll probably finish the season about 10 points off fourth, which, given our poor Autumn form, suggests we could get a fair bit closer next season, which is hopefully when Koeman will really start to earn his cash.

For years we've always been "just a few players off" being able to compete. This time round, because of the TV money and being effectively debt free, we have a much better chance of actually making the step up.

*goes for a lie down
Autumn and a good portion of the winter. My position on the upturn that has got us into a reasonably good position is that we've played since then with freedom...the freedom that comes with no real pressure.

This lot are great at coming out from behind the couch after the fight has been settled. We know this through experience. For that reason I don't think we can draw any conclusions about bringing over this firm into next season.

But you've said the season is over, it's clearly not if the magic number can still be achieved
Eh? This season? Who said anything about this season. It's only mathematically possible we can do it this season...about as like.y as WBA getting 4th.

Please try and read the posts.

Autumn and a good portion of the winter. My position on the upturn that has got us into a reasonably good position is that we've played since then with freedom...the freedom that comes with no real pressure.

This lot are great at coming out from behind the couch after the fight has been settled. We know this through experience. For that reason I don't think we can draw any conclusions about bringing over this firm into next season.

Historically, it's true, we've played better when there's nothing to play for since Moyes was in charge. There are reasons for that though. Mentally the players didn't truly believe in themselves under Moyes, because his mindset was often negative. Martinez was the opposite, but he was so positive about everything that it ended up that he was the only one that believed what he said.

Koeman's squad additions have almost all got a bit more about them mentally than most of the players they're replacing. I think we'll end up with players who'll work hard ( as Moyes' squad did ) but also have more self belief ( as the squad did under Martinez in his first season ). There's also more of the snide, and less of the nice guy in this squad than there has been for a while, which will help.

Last weeks game against Spurs wasn't really important, but yesterday's was. Regardless of your thoughts about the Europa League, the majority of the clubs' management and squad will want to be playing in Europe next season. If we'd lost to our closest rivals for 7th place yesterday, then we'd have been looking carefully over our shoulders, but there was no panic, and no lack of self belief and we comfortably cemented ourselves in 7th.

Plainly to some extent you're playing devil's advocate, which is no bad thing, but it's also quite plain you're a glass half empty kind of bloke. By the way, when you finish that pint, it's your round.

Well, I'm emphasising the very point that I get stick for on this forum: the 72 point mark reached. But I think anyone fair can now see that it;s not a moot point, it's central to our ambitions. We want CL football in any season either now or in the future? Then put a 70+ point marker down on the table and take your chances. Turn up with less than that and be prepared to be blown away by the elite.
While I agree with this...its not about points is it, it's about position.

Great tactics yesterday from Ronald. Many fixtures last year Rom would have stood in the box with his hands on his hips waiting for something to come his way. This year he was the one making it happen for the midfielders.

How anyone @davek .... can knock Koeman's achievement so far this season is beyond me.

He took over a shambolic mess from the man who would be Barca's next manager and has turned them back into a proper football team.

We now longer concede ridiculous goals , we can defend set pieces , we have a balance to the team , a good mixture of youth and experience and he is getting the best out of Lukaku and Barklay.

Even better he says that this is just a start and the real work and results come next season.

What's not to like?

A guess some people just like to moan.

With the money about at Everton next season, plus the extended stay of Lukaku and the massive improvement since Christmas of Barkley, added to the exciting young talents of Davies and Lookman, I am pretty much convinced he will continue to take us in the right direction.

Like I said, it was a theme at Southampton to suddenly hit 5th gear in Jan. Supposedly defence should be his forte so im hopeful he can bring in some top defenders and take us up another level but lets see...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back