Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not just Dave there's been a fair number expressing reservations it's just that we can't keep up with @davek posting quantity lol

This is the funny thing.

Dave's absence, and I very much miss him, has actually had the effect of opening up the Koeman debate and he is being put under the microscope far more closely without Dave and his antagonists swamping the thread with their handbag swinging.

My concern echoes others in regards to so many players all similar but shoe horned into different roles.

I have said it else where for the details so won't repeat it yet again but I just can't quite fathom how koeman can look at other teams playing with speed and directness above us and then sign and play as many slow technical players who all don't play together.

When we cross, who is it to?

Who have we got to carve the defence? And who have we got to get in behind reliably?

Right now we look a shambles of a side and this rebuild at present looks like what it is, signed a load of attackers regardless of their role and threw them all on the pitch and hope for the best. Except without a target man they can't get into the game. Without any pace we can't counter attack. Unless the defence come up then set pieces are a waste.

To echo the general thought from today, what exactly is koeman thinking with this team? None of the players are compatible as THE attack because none of them have the attributes to do it.

As far as I am concerned, I want to see sandro made first choice striker every week up top because he is the only one that remotely has a chance of doing it. Lewen isn't a clinical finisher yet and Rooney can't run. Stick lookman the new lad and sandro as the focal point and go from there and maybe having a bit of pace might get somewhere

Last edited:

After the 1st goal we were taught a lesson. Outclassed and outgunned. But, I just didnt get how he set up the team. Martina (who I'm no fan of) was hung out to dry. It just wasn't balanced. A back 3 with Baines as a sort of wing back. Martina had nobody in front if him. Ben Davies constantly in acres of space and not pushed back in any way. Spurs weren't bothered about Martina having it on halfway and his first thought is backwards (as appears Schneiderlins for some reason). How Koeman allowed it to continue for so long is my main worry though. It was quickly evident. Concerning.

On the striker thing, he thought he had the one he wanted. Which was obviously Giroud.

And that's fine. Some don't come off.

But to not get anyone, even a stop gap player who can do an alright job there is a disaster. An unforgivable disaster.

It's not all on Koeman of course. In fact barely any of that is.

But we set up like a team who want to defend a lead. But can barely have a shot let alone take an actual lead. At the moment anyway.

I just don't get it.

We set up that way because we don't have the balance. I didn't rate Lukaku, but at least with him you had a plan that can work and the whole side was geared towards him.

But now? We built a side geared to a hold up player, and didn't bring the hold up player in.

No side can play top quality opposition being hamstrung in that way and expect to compete. Rooney is a technical playmaker at this point in his career, Sandro is untested in the league and DCL is too young to be relied on week in week out. The players behind the striker such as Sigurdsson and Klaassen are all the type of player who rely on a Llorente-type player to succeed. To only have Giroud as a target is bad enough, but I don't think that was true - I think we had to sell Barkley to bring in Jimenez, which is worse.

We're hamstrung; that's the best word to describe it.

This is the funny thing.

Dave's absence, and I very much miss him, has actually had the effect of opening up the Koeman debate and he is being put under the microscope far more closely without Dave and his antagonists swamping the thread with their handbag swinging.

There has most definitely been an increase in sensible level-headed posting regarding Koeman, I must say.

Was he /- I thought we played with width and had barkley and Lukaku playing with Barkley scoring!

Nope.

Lukaku was resting after the Euros.

Gerald started as a lone striker and nearly scored a few.

In fact, the first half we were all over them.

Of course, Koeman had let Pochetino and the rest of the world know two days previously that we were "only 75% fit" and Spurs pulverised us in the second half.

Stek indeed saved us a couple times.

This is the funny thing.

The irony hasn't been lost on me either Khal : in trying to stimulate debate, Dave's 'red rag to a bull' style actually killed it.
Bit like the US army's :Blink: strategy in the Vietnam War whereby "to save the village from Communism, we had to burn it down"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back