Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Barkley all-but out the door (unfortunately) then yes.

Rooney isn't a playmaker as such, and neither is Klaassen.

Gylfi is.

I've had this debate before (maybe even with you!), I see the role of a playmaker as being on the ball a lot and playing clever passes that create chances. Gylfi doesn't do that - barely on the ball, averages under 30 touches a game which is about hardly any in the world of playmaking. He is far more direct.

Koeman demanded and asked for a striker. From the moment we signed Rooney right up until three days before the close of the window.

He didn't get it.

That's on the board and people responsible for getting the deals over the line.

Yep, find it hard to pin the striker situation on Koeman, if anyone watched Southampton they would know Koeman likes to play with a big man up front, so it would be no different here. Koeman would have had his targets, when he handed them to the board it was then out of his hands because they are the one's who deal with the cash side of things, buying these players.

I just don't know why people expect us to finish in the top 6. Which one of those sides are we better than? Which one of those sides would take any of our players and have them in the starting 11?

We've obviously spent a lot of money but we've lost our best player and also someone in Barkley who was an important part of the team. Anyone who thought we were going to hit the ground running this season was asking for a hell of a lot IMO.

By all means get rid of Koeman if we must. He's a good manager but nothing special. Very similar to all of our players actually in the fact that none of them would stand out for a top side in the country. When Koeman does eventually go however, you'll all be wanting the next manager gone after a few bad results as well such is the fickle nature of football fans. Anyone wanting top 6 is wanting a minor miracle and I honestly think you're going to be in for a depressing time following us over the next few years.
Good point. Look at their bench yesterday...nearly all would walk straight into our starting eleven

As I said with Martinez, any Everton manager not competing for the top six should be sacked.

Koeman is no different, he needs to drop his own self PR with comments like the below or he'll get fans backs up;

View attachment 40442

We'll easy finish top 7, will take time for the team to gel and it's been compounded by Europa/torrid run of opening games.
If our away form stays bad, and the home form gets worse, and we struggle with 3 games per week... I fail to see how that 7th place trophy is nailed on personally.

I still don't know if any of that is true, or if it is conjecture.
If it's true, it means that there is not much of a partnership between Koeman and the board, and certainly doesn't bode well for the next transfer window either.
If we have the same impasse in January, I can see Koeman walking - either under his own steam or with some help from the board/major shareholder.

He said it in every press conference mate...

And Koeman won't walk. If he does, he's throwing his managerial career in a way. It's a huge opportunity for him and he'll do his best to get it right, which is good for us.

But, what he's done in the last few games isn't good enough.

Still thinking he's trying to work out the best formation and players. It's proper early doors I know but we need to start to step it up or kiss goodbye to top 6. The rooney thing unfortunately is starting to cast my fears. I was on the fence on the signing just can't see it happening :(. with 4 at the back without coleman we look weak, holgate should started end of.

Only managed to catch the highlights this morning so can't comment too much on yesterdays performance. I would prefer us to go 3 at the back with wing backish players to cover, as williams looked dog turd from what I saw.

If our away form stays bad, and the home form gets worse, and we struggle with 3 games per week... I fail to see how that 7th place trophy is nailed on personally.
Watford and Stoke are now 'best of the rest'. But I refuse to surrender outright: on our good day, we might push those two... and nick a draw.

Nonsensical team selection yesterday, with no clear focus on what the plan was. It's like he threw all the players he's signed this summer on the pitch to see what will stick. Baffled by the decision to play Rooney, Klaassen and Sigurdsson in the same team, and even more speechless that he then decided to play Sandro when our only idea seemed to be to cross the ball.

A team needs to be balanced at the very least, and he managed this at Southampton with the pacey wideman (Mane), target man (Pelle), creative player on the wing (Tadic) and number 10 arriving late (often Long).

That was successful, so at the very least to steady the ship he could replicate that with Lookman/Vlasic/Bolasie, DCL, Sigurdsson/Rooney, and Klaassen/Rooney. Then tinker from there if need be, but at present he clearly doesn't know what to do with the players he's signed. Needs to decide, and quickly.

Yep, find it hard to pin the striker situation on Koeman, if anyone watched Southampton they would know Koeman likes to play with a big man up front, so it would be no different here. Koeman would have had his targets, when he handed them to the board it was then out of his hands because they are the one's who deal with the cash side of things, buying these players.

This exactly.

I blame Koeman for getting it wrong in the last few games.

But he wasn't backed right at the end of the window with a major piece of the puzzle as it were.

Seen a lot of 'should Koeman go' stuff on the internet in general.

No he shouldn't go. Beat Stoke, did well against Man City, beat by Chelsea which was almost inevitable, and a crap day yesterday.

Come on, have you seen the start we were handed? Then factor in EL, which has gone well.

Yes we should've got another CF in, but is that solely down to Koeman? Almost as if managers have to jump through weekly hoops these days.

Seen a lot of 'should Koeman go' stuff on the internet in general.

No he shouldn't go. Beat Stoke, did well against Man City, beat by Chelsea which was almost inevitable, and a crap day yesterday.

Come on, have you seen the start we were handed? Then factor in EL, which has gone well.

Yes we should've got another CF in, but is that solely down to Koeman? Almost as if managers have to jump through weekly hoops these days.
He earns 120,000 pounds per week: too right he has to jump through weekly hoops...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back