Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
We talk about a project

Yet now into year two of it I see no progression or improvement. That's what worries me. We cannot expect top six overnight but we should atleast be seeing improvement in the squad every year

Another alarming example is yesterday Koeman said we were too nice. We knew this in the Martinez era. How is this still not being addressed?

We have also said for years we need a better attack yet the stat I saw yesterday was 7 shots on target in four games. The second lowest in the league

These are simple things that should have been addressed and haven't! How are we taking about the same problems years on?

I don't like agreeing with you. Can you say something about the new stadium not being built so I can hate on you again please?

I think we should take a deep breath, stop wishing about what could have been and move on with what we have.

So we don't have an out and out striker. So we don't have wingers. Okay, let's play with what we have because if we don't play to our strengths, we're going to be crucified until the right people are available again.

So, what do you do with a million central midfielders, no width and no hold-up play? I would suggest a 4-4-2 midfield diamond.

This formation means that our width is driven by everybody outside of the centre-backs and the holding midfielder.

Our full backs bomb forward to provide width and throw in the crosses. The outside centre mids have to dart outside with them to provide the overloads and also cover the gaps they leave if necessary.

The holding midfielder has to sit in front of the centre-backs and slot in with them to create a back three if necessary.

In a defensive situation the outside centre mids have to go flat with the anchor and go wide to track the attacking fullbacks, and if we turn over their players and get the ball, they have to be fast on the transition to counter.

So, can we do it with the players we have? Well, yes as long as we use real athletes in the outside centre mid positions as they have to really work hard (Lennon, Davies), Besic/Schniederlin/Gueye in the holding slot, and experiment with Rooney/Gylfi/Klaasen in the AM slot.

The forward line can then be more mobile with Sandro/Vlasic/Mirallas or utilise a DCL combo to play target man.

I think this would address Cuco's defensive weaknesses if we had Tom Davies busting a gut to support or plug his defensive gaps, and perhaps see more of Baines getting forward if he knew that he had someone covering his back.

Ultimately, it would see us stop using similar players wanting the same space, or playing with two DMs so that there is no pace in the transition as everyone is too deep or too far away.

We need to stop playing hoofball and get the ball on the deck with options available to the ball carrier. There's no point buying midfielders if you're going to bypass midfield.

I think we actually have a good side. We just need a plan and a bit of courage to make it work.

Could you please send that into the club and ask them to pin it on Koemans door

Despite being in his second season

Koeman still doesn't know his best team
Who his best players are
What formation he wants to play/will work best

And ultimately doesn't seem to have the right players for the positions he wants to play

He still talks about the players being to nice despite being here for 15 months, we still lack height, pace and seem to be low on confidence. He still hasn't addressed the issue that we need more goals from midfield. He seems to get the tactics wrong most games (we know this as he makes many changes such as at half time too often) which shows we keep getting it wrong.

He seems to have upset too many players. I could go on..

Who his best players are

And ultimately doesn't seem to have the right players for the positions he wants to play

He still talks about the players being to nice despite being here for 15 months, we still lack height, pace and seem to be low on confidence. He still hasn't addressed the issue that we need more goals from midfield. He seems to get the tactics wrong most games (we know this as he makes many changes such as at half time too often) which shows we keep getting it wrong.

He's upset a fair few fans as well.....

Who his best players are

All completely forseeable if you looked at his managerial record in the cold hard light of day.

As said above, Koeman has fallen out with a lot of the our players for one reason or another and he has a history of doing this at Valencia. If he can't make peace and continues to openly question his players, I reckon he will see his taxi arriving by Christmas with Unsy stepping in for the rest of the season.

We talk about a project

Yet now into year two of it I see no progression or improvement. That's what worries me. We cannot expect top six overnight but we should atleast be seeing improvement in the squad every year

Another alarming example is yesterday Koeman said we were too nice. We knew this in the Martinez era. How is this still not being addressed?

We have also said for years we need a better attack yet the stat I saw yesterday was 7 shots on target in four games. The second lowest in the league

These are simple things that should have been addressed and haven't! How are we taking about the same problems years on?
Because we've had years of average managers and no investment in the team.

I am imagining the fume if we bottle the derby again like our tradition. Only this time it will be cos of Koeman playing Martina at RB, 3 no 10s, static boring football with no shot on target for 90 mins while we concede 10+ shots on goal.

Because we've had years of average managers and no investment in the team.

The same mistakes were being made last season

The same problems also

However last year we had Rom and he would paper over the problems. Now without him the issues are becoming more obvious
As said above, Koeman has fallen out with a lot of the our players for one reason or another and he has a history of doing this at Valencia. If he can't make peace and continues to openly question his players, I reckon he will see his taxi arriving by Christmas with Unsy stepping in for the rest of the season.

I've thought this for a while now. Far too many players who don't want to be here. There is definitely something not right.

One example is Ashley Williams

At Swansea he was a tough strong centre back who led, talked and commanded on the pitch. Seemed very motivated and full of confidence

Since he's been here it looks like he's just fallen out of love with football. Looks weak, seems to be quiet, lacks motivation and doesn't seem ready for the challenge. As a manager Koeman should have addressed this time ago! I don't see a squad happy to play under him

The same mistakes were being made last season

The same problems also

However last year we had Rom and he would paper over the problems. Now without him the issues are becoming more obvious

I've thought this for a while now. Far too many players who don't want to be here. There is definitely something not right.

One example is Ashley Williams

At Swansea he was a tough strong centre back who led, talked and commanded on the pitch. Seemed very motivated and full of confidence

Since he's been here it looks like he's just fallen out of love with football. Looks weak, seems to be quiet, lacks motivation and doesn't seem ready for the challenge. As a manager Koeman should have addressed this time ago! I don't see a squad happy to play under him
He's a bang average manager and we're going nowhere while he's in charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back