Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because a club of Everton's size should not be classing 7th and winning games against a team who haven't won a league title in 28 years as a success.

This is the reality for the time being unless all of a sudden we can spend like the teams at the top. That is while we buy better players with big money and be able to keep the best players at the sametime.

I'm with Big Nev

Which is all well and good, but the fume levels are rising and it's going to be very interesting to see how he copes if they increase further.

I was talking to lads today, who left after 70 mins and they're weren't alone in doing so.

He seems blind to that fact that at the mo, the team is an utter massive mess.

No, but a bit of realism isnt misplaced.

It feels like we have bombed into Woolies and had a free run at the Pick and Mix. Which is what a few have done to be fair.

Thing is, and we can all see it, there is a glaring Bertie Basset missing, and we seem to be trying to fill in with a few sherbet saucers.

And the Bertie Basset reference is a sweet based reference. Nothing else. ffs.

Difficult days.
It is a big worry.

What I think we should be doing and what I think is achievable are poles apart at present.

Playing the four best teams in the country certainly hasn't helped all these new players in this transitional period.

There is no hiding places for the manager now, though. As Moshiri stressed, this is now a squad that Koeman has built in 18 months. It's on him now.

I'm a big fan of Koeman, but his approach to games this season just hasn't made any sense. The system is non-existent. Everything is just so narrow.

The utter shame of seeing fans saying it will be a decent season as long as we beat Liverpool.

Yes we all want to beat them but they could leather us 32-0 at anfield as far as I'm concerned if we finally won a trophy. Have some standards for gods sake.

Lol Talking about standards while at the same time saying they could beat us 32-0 at Anfield.Sure how about beating the living daylights out of them at Anfield, and win a trophy or two as well at the same time.How's that for standards?;)

I think we should take a deep breath, stop wishing about what could have been and move on with what we have.

So we don't have an out and out striker. So we don't have wingers. Okay, let's play with what we have because if we don't play to our strengths, we're going to be crucified until the right people are available again.

So, what do you do with a million central midfielders, no width and no hold-up play? I would suggest a 4-4-2 midfield diamond.

This formation means that our width is driven by everybody outside of the centre-backs and the holding midfielder.

Our full backs bomb forward to provide width and throw in the crosses. The outside centre mids have to dart outside with them to provide the overloads and also cover the gaps they leave if necessary.

The holding midfielder has to sit in front of the centre-backs and slot in with them to create a back three if necessary.

In a defensive situation the outside centre mids have to go flat with the anchor and go wide to track the attacking fullbacks, and if we turn over their players and get the ball, they have to be fast on the transition to counter.

So, can we do it with the players we have? Well, yes as long as we use real athletes in the outside centre mid positions as they have to really work hard (Lennon, Davies), Besic/Schniederlin/Gueye in the holding slot, and experiment with Rooney/Gylfi/Klaasen in the AM slot.

The forward line can then be more mobile with Sandro/Vlasic/Mirallas or utilise a DCL combo to play target man.

I think this would address Cuco's defensive weaknesses if we had Tom Davies busting a gut to support or plug his defensive gaps, and perhaps see more of Baines getting forward if he knew that he had someone covering his back.

Ultimately, it would see us stop using similar players wanting the same space, or playing with two DMs so that there is no pace in the transition as everyone is too deep or too far away.

We need to stop playing hoofball and get the ball on the deck with options available to the ball carrier. There's no point buying midfielders if you're going to bypass midfield.

I think we actually have a good side. We just need a plan and a bit of courage to make it work.

This is the reality for the time being unless all of a sudden we can spend like the teams at the top. That is while we buy better players with big money and be able to keep the best players at the sametime.
I don't think we'll be doing that for a long time.

Keane and/or Pickford could be next season's transfer budget, then we start the scatter-gun approach to transfers again.

We talk about a project

Yet now into year two of it I see no progression or improvement. That's what worries me. We cannot expect top six overnight but we should atleast be seeing improvement in the squad every year

Another alarming example is yesterday Koeman said we were too nice. We knew this in the Martinez era. How is this still not being addressed?

We have also said for years we need a better attack yet the stat I saw yesterday was 7 shots on target in four games. The second lowest in the league

These are simple things that should have been addressed and haven't! How are we taking about the same problems years on?

Lol Talking about standards while at the same time saying they could beat us 32-0 at Anfield.Sure how about beating the living daylights out of them at Anfield, and win a trophy or two as well at the same time.How's that for standards?;)
Exactly. You said you'd see 7th and beating Liverpool as a good season. No mention of trophies. I'm saying if I had a choice of winning a trophy or beating Liverpool it would be s no brainer.

I think we should take a deep breath, stop wishing about what could have been and move on with what we have.

So we don't have an out and out striker. So we don't have wingers. Okay, let's play with what we have because if we don't play to our strengths, we're going to be crucified until the right people are available again.

So, what do you do with a million central midfielders, no width and no hold-up play? I would suggest a 4-4-2 midfield diamond.

This formation means that our width is driven by everybody outside of the centre-backs and the holding midfielder.

Our full backs bomb forward to provide width and throw in the crosses. The outside centre mids have to dart outside with them to provide the overloads and also cover the gaps they leave if necessary.

The holding midfielder has to sit in front of the centre-backs and slot in with them to create a back three if necessary.

In a defensive situation the outside centre mids have to go flat with the anchor and go wide to track the attacking fullbacks, and if we turn over their players and get the ball, they have to be fast on the transition to counter.

So, can we do it with the players we have? Well, yes as long as we use real athletes in the outside centre mid positions as they have to really work hard (Lennon, Davies), Besic/Schniederlin/Gueye in the holding slot, and experiment with Rooney/Gylfi/Klaasen in the AM slot.

The forward line can then be more mobile with Sandro/Vlasic/Mirallas or utilise a DCL combo to play target man.

I think this would address Cuco's defensive weaknesses if we had Tom Davies busting a gut to support or plug his defensive gaps, and perhaps see more of Baines getting forward if he knew that he had someone covering his back.

Ultimately, it would see us stop using similar players wanting the same space, or playing with two DMs so that there is no pace in the transition as everyone is too deep or too far away.

We need to stop playing hoofball and get the ball on the deck with options available to the ball carrier. There's no point buying midfielders if you're going to bypass midfield.

I think we actually have a good side. We just need a plan and a bit of courage to make it work.
Football is such a simple game

Think the period up to the next international break will be key. League Cup against Sunderland, 2 EL games and home games against Bournemouth and Burnley all need to be won. If not then the sacking calls stop being knee jery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back