Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure but without a proper striker to replace Lukaku and a left footed centre-back when the manager repeatedly asked the board to deliver.

A striker should have been the first signing through the door. Think as has been mentioned before though, the mistake was waiting for Giroud to make his mind up. While Giroud was making his mind up though, we should have been moving on to the next striker on the list.

It could have easily been Koeman who said he wanted to wait for Giroud's decision before moving on, and by that time it was too late.

Saturday showed us just how far off we are in our league. Personally though, if the man in charge guides us to 15 more boring, barely watchable wins in Europe, I will be wearing Koeman pyjamas and eating chips with mayo!

We need a trophy, we're not going to win the league. We sold the best goal scorer we've had for a very long while, certainly in my lifetime, how did we expect to be stronger in the league without even attempting to replace him?

However, that is now done. Time to back the manager we've got in charge and have a good go at the domestic trophies available to us.

images.webp

Only this guy can help us. Koeman Out, Night King in.

People fixating too much on the striker thing. It's utterly hilarious that we sold Rom with, realistically, about 2 years notice and didn't replace him. But adding Giroud into this team wouldn't fix all the issues by a long shot.

It's a good job we get all these class managers who fail but we have the best and knowledgable fans anywhere outside the north east to recognise this. We finished seventh a few months ago and he should be punted in Sept if he can't get half a team of new players to gel instantly.

It's just not good enough lads.

You forgot the playing last season's top 3 in our last 3 games bit mate.

Well for me or even the manager himself, a striker was a priority. I suspect we were prepared to wait for certain targets only by the time we realized they aren't coming, it was too late to pursue other targets down in our list. And we need to sell Barkley to generate funds for such deal as well.

He said this a few weeks before the window shut. Instead we were locked in a prying Siggurdson away from Swansea.

If we'd have put that kind of effort and funds into a striker early, we wouldn't have been here.

A striker should have been the first signing through the door. Think as has been mentioned before though, the mistake was waiting for Giroud to make his mind up. While Giroud was making his mind up though, we should have been moving on to the next striker on the list.

It could have easily been Koeman who said he wanted to wait for Giroud's decision before moving on, and by that time it was too late.

100%

His fault or not, collectively that should've been the focus from the off

You cant just try to buy a Giroud or Costa and act like a big spoilt baby when they tell you to do one, a proper manager would have given Walsh a list of 5-10 targets in descending order of quality/preference, if the top target doesn't want to come, move on.

Even getting Chris Wood as a last resort would have been better than nobody at all. It was a massive failure by him not to replace a 30 goal striker, and he must be held accountable.

Last edited:
I think Koeman's made it repeatedly clear that he is not involved in the negotiations to sign players mate.
I'm pretty sure Koeman made it clear to the board that signing Gylfi was an absolute priority, and he will also have known that given the asking price it was likely to be a protracted negotiation, whether or not he himself was involved in those negotiations.

He's as culpable as any for allowing other targets to dissipate IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back