Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had a higher possession percentage last night than any away game last season, according to Sky.

So much for the 'return to hoofball' shouts.

As won the passing as well :)

Second-half last night is the first time that Koeman's style has 'clicked' IMO - and clicked for 45 minutes. The trick now is replicating that every game (and all of the game).

I really miss the heart in the mouth moments when we dicked around with it when being pressed to within 10 yards of our own goal for no apparent reason.

I miss the goal kick where Howard rolls it out to Stones on the corner of the box and Stones walks 2 paces until he's closed down, so plays it back to Howard, who just hoofs it forward anyway. Total football that, touched by the gods.

We really needed a better second striker brought in, but am loving the blend of youth and experience Koeman has put together in a short time:

Stekelenberg, Jagielka, Williams, Baines, Barry over 30 but still at the top of their game (perhaps aside from Baines)
Holgate, Davies in their teens and in and around the first team and look comfortable when played
Lukaku, Barkley, Deulofeu early 20s, mostly perform well and should all go on to be top, top players in the future
Mirallas, Bolasie, Gueye, Coleman mid- to late 20s and at the top of their games (Coleman will hopefully reach the heights he did 2 years ago when fully fit)

So far so good. Warmed to Koeman very quickly.

He's enigmatic and makes the required changes to change a game in our favour. If he continues like this we could do something special! But it is early days.

I imagine next window, be it January or summer he'll have his targets in mind along with Walsh and fully understand what's necessary to improve the squad.

Is all quite exciting really, but one game at a time... let's outclass Middlesborough Koeman.

Still feel a little bit strange about the whole Koeman thing.

Under Martinez I think one of the things I liked about him and that contributed to me supporting him longer than most was that it felt like a long-term plan. I got the impression that between him and the club, we were building towards the future and that Martinez would be around to see the fruits of his labour.

With Koeman - this all feels very short term. The signings he has made have been experienced players and he doesn't have a track record of hanging around anywhere for too long, so it feels to me like we will inevitably be starting a whole new cycle again within 2 years or so.

Now, like most Evertonians, what I'm most bothered about is winning games, so if he carries on the same way he has started, I'll probably just push the suspicion that it's all very short term to the back of my mind, but because he's not the easiest guy to warm to (maybe this bit is just me?) and because I doubt this is all going to last too long, I'm finding it hard to get too attached to him like I did with Moyes and Martinez in their early days.

Having said that, you can't argue with what he has done so far. I find quite interesting is that Koeman is managing to play with two genuine wingers and still seem quite solid, whereas whenever we did this under Martinez, we struggled.

I think, although I'm not sure yet, that this is down to two things. Number one, his use of our full backs. Under Martinez both full backs pushed on when we had the ball - they created the width and the wingers were often tucked inside (one of the reasons I think Martinez preferred having a central player playing from wide most of the time, despite buying loads of wingers). Koeman doesn't seem to place this emphasis on our full backs - they're allowed to go forward, but only one at a time and they don't join the attack with anywhere near the frequency that they did under Martinez, meaning our centre backs aren't pulled out wide when we are countered.

Secondly, wherever possible we seem to be trying to play the ball forward quickly - the slower build up under Martinez almost forced us to commit full backs forward to open up the opposition. Happening far less at the moment.

My slight concern (the pessimist in me) is that teams will spot our emphasis on getting the ball forward quickly and will just get men behind the ball. Last night was a good example - Sunderland played like the away team for large parts of the game until we scored. We opened the scoring because they were forced to commit men forward for their own corner and we countered them and scored. After that they had to come out a bit and we picked them off. I still think we lack that bit of guile to open a team up who are sat in, expecting this to be a problem at home particularly - but, Koeman has had an answer for everything else so far, so we'll see.

If it hadn't been for a very disappointing end to the window, you'd say things have gone perfectly up to now. I'm never comfortable when it's all going smoothly...

Still feel a little bit strange about the whole Koeman thing.

Under Martinez I think one of the things I liked about him and that contributed to me supporting him longer than most was that it felt like a long-term plan. I got the impression that between him and the club, we were building towards the future and that Martinez would be around to see the fruits of his labour.

With Koeman - this all feels very short term. The signings he has made have been experienced players and he doesn't have a track record of hanging around anywhere for too long, so it feels to me like we will inevitably be starting a whole new cycle again within 2 years or so.

Now, like most Evertonians, what I'm most bothered about is winning games, so if he carries on the same way he has started, I'll probably just push the suspicion that it's all very short term to the back of my mind, but because he's not the easiest guy to warm to (maybe this bit is just me?) and because I doubt this is all going to last too long, I'm finding it hard to get too attached to him like I did with Moyes and Martinez in their early days.

Having said that, you can't argue with what he has done so far. I find quite interesting is that Koeman is managing to play with two genuine wingers and still seem quite solid, whereas whenever we did this under Martinez, we struggled.

I think, although I'm not sure yet, that this is down to two things. Number one, his use of our full backs. Under Martinez both full backs pushed on when we had the ball - they created the width and the wingers were often tucked inside (one of the reasons I think Martinez preferred having a central player playing from wide most of the time, despite buying loads of wingers). Koeman doesn't seem to place this emphasis on our full backs - they're allowed to go forward, but only one at a time and they don't join the attack with anywhere near the frequency that they did under Martinez, meaning our centre backs aren't pulled out wide when we are countered.

Secondly, wherever possible we seem to be trying to play the ball forward quickly - the slower build up under Martinez almost forced us to commit full backs forward to open up the opposition. Happening far less at the moment.

My slight concern (the pessimist in me) is that teams will spot our emphasis on getting the ball forward quickly and will just get men behind the ball. Last night was a good example - Sunderland played like the away team for large parts of the game until we scored. We opened the scoring because they were forced to commit men forward for their own corner and we countered them and scored. After that they had to come out a bit and we picked them off. I still think we lack that bit of guile to open a team up who are sat in, expecting this to be a problem at home particularly - but, Koeman has had an answer for everything else so far, so we'll see.

If it hadn't been for a very disappointing end to the window, you'd say things have gone perfectly up to now. I'm never comfortable when it's all going smoothly...

I see t as he's come in and made signings to make us good now, rather than 2-3 years in which time we could easily lose our top players. Getting European football this season using a short term plan, makes us more attractive to potential players, which allows a long term plan to start.

I see t as he's come in and made signings to make us good now, rather than 2-3 years in which time we could easily lose our top players. Getting European football this season using a short term plan, makes us more attractive to potential players, which allows a long term plan to start.

Exactly. You are either viewed as a top of the table type team or your not. If the transfer window proved anything, Everton is considered a mid-table team by the types of players you want to get to become a top of the table team. As Manchester City has proven, if you can put together a top of the table roster (admittedly a billionaire willing to spend pre-financial fair play helped too), you can stay there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back