Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
See where you're coming from, but unfortunately in Martinez' case we all saw where he came from, his woeful defensive record and the fact he'd just relegated a Wigan team that Steve Bruce and Paul Jewell couldn't.

Yet... Koeman came from improving, on the excellent Poccetinho, despite losing almost a entire starting 11 over the course of 2 Windows.

This guy is the real deal.

I like your post but will qualify he may be the real deal but that doesn't mean constant success, we just need to look up one J. Mourinho this afternoon to see why.

He had solid foundations though in terms of a defence that didn't concede loads.

Luckily, Koeman seems to have managed to turn the defence around pretty quickly, though there are (and will be) still a few issues.
He completely rejigged their responsibilities. The defence in Moyes last season and the defence in Martinez's first season were apples and pears.

I've like your post but will qualify he may be the real deal but that doesn't mean constant success, we just need to look up one J. Mourinho this afternoon to see why.
I'm looking at like this, as of yet his time in England pound for pound has been above and beyond expectation.

The talk after Poccetinho went to Spurs was that Southampton could be in a relegation dogfight, players leaving all over the gaff, prompting this humorous tweet from Koeman....

He'd lost key members to his squad and bettered Poccetinho in his first season and to prove it wasn't a Martinesque lucky flukey season he bettered it again.

I'm looking at like this, as of yet his time in England pound for pound has been above and beyond expectation.

The talk after Poccetinho went to Spurs was that Southampton could be in a relegation dogfight, players leaving all over the gaff, prompting this humorous tweet from Koeman....

He'd lost key members to his squad and bettered Poccetinho in his first season and to prove it wasn't a Martinesque lucky flukey season he bettered it again.

Looks like the players didn't turn up. I hope he bollocked them in the press.

Looks like the players didn't turn up. I hope he bollocked them in the press.
That's the point, there were no players left to turn up, Martinez had a back 5 of

Howard
Coleman Jagielka Distin Baines

That got him 16 clean sheets that season, that got us our 72 points.

Spot on. And I'd say that was the case for the season so far except the first ha;lf against Sunderland when the whole team was on about 4/10 and any one of them could have been hooked.

They were falling over themselves yesterday "the experts" to suggest that the medicine had hit its spot and cured Barkley of his 'ailment'. Utter nonsense. He breezed through that 90 minutes with a perfunctory performance he's capable of delivering week in, week out. There was no 'lesson learned for young Ross'.

I'd also say that again Koeman kept up an unseemly public attack on Barkley post match by indulging the BT tits in their raking up of the issue.
Obviously you weren't feeling under the weather mate:)

The whole team wasn't crap against Sunderland first half Dave. Only Ross, Kev and probably Rom too. Koeman had to change things and was brave enough to make that change at half time. For me it was a straight choice between Ross and Kev. He chose Ross and we won 3.0. I'm happy with that.

Don't understand why you persevere with this "unfair treatment of Ross" conspiracy either. Koeman clearly likes Ross and has started him every game this season. He's not said a word against him other than those related to last weeks game, and that's only because he has answered question asked of him honestly, which is his style. If he was asked the same questions of other players he would answer in the same way. Plus nothing he said was overly derogative and only reflects what most fans thought should have happened anyway. Ross clearly hasn't got an issue with it as he wouldn't have played yesterday had he reacted badly to RKs management.

The press built this up as they need news to sell newspapers.

Obviously you weren't feeling under the weather mate:)

The whole team wasn't crap against Sunderland first half Dave. Only Ross, Kev and probably Rom too. Koeman had to change things and was brave enough to make that change at half time. For me it was a straight choice between Ross and Kev. He chose Ross and we won 3.0. I'm happy with that.

Don't understand why you persevere with this "unfair treatment of Ross" conspiracy either. Koeman clearly likes Ross and has started him every game this season. He's not said a word against him other than those related to last weeks game, and that's only because he has answered question asked of him honestly, which is his style. If he was asked the same questions of other players he would answer in the same way. Plus nothing he said was overly derogative and only reflects what most fans thought should have happened anyway. Ross clearly hasn't got an issue with it as he wouldn't have played yesterday had he reacted badly to RKs management.

The press built this up as they need news to sell newspapers.
It's not a 'conspiracy', it's a point.

It's clear to me that Barkley has been singled out. I dont think anyone can look at the way Mirallas has been jogging about for the past two games, for example, and think that if RB was the subject of a 'necessary' public discussion about poor form in 45 minutes of play then Mirallas shouldn't be getting one. It was a choice by the manager to do what he did and act against no other player

It matters not that Koeman was asked about Barkley and 'answered honestly', by the way, because he was asked EXACTLY the same questions by the media about Lukaku and chose to be very diplomatic about his loss of form (which had been much more dramatic than RBs). So that doesn't cut it.

I don't want to go too over the top with praise for Koeman yet, I seem to remember phrases such as 'he's a breath of fresh air', 'his clever substitutions are winning us games' and 'a top club will be in for him at this rate' (or words to the effect) being used in Martinez's first season.

Having said that, the early signs are good. He's improved the main things that were missing the last couple of seasons, ie fitness, defensive organisation and we look good at both defensive and offensive set pieces.

He's as straight talking to the media as you'll find in a manager and he's got the blend of slick passing football when possible, but if in doubt get your laces through it and reorganise. Happy so far
Agree. I think RM was the antithesis of DM and to some extent RK is the antithesis of RM, if that makes sense.

The first thing I noticed with RM was that he stopped making these clever substitutions in his second year. In fact he seemed to stop making substitutions period.

As ever the bottom line is results. If we'd continued winning matches people would have turned a blind eye to the bullshitting and phenomenals; and if RK starts losing games regularly I'm sure we'll soon get fed up with his OKs and honesty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back