Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
And this is what the EPL has become.

A cash cow for fourteen owners and thirteen sets of fans.

Sadly I am having now to subscribe to this "top six" theory.

They are now in a league of their own.

The fourteen other owners are accepting of this and their only aim is to stay in the top flight.

Most of them do not even want to finish 7th in case they get into the Europa League and screw up their survival chances the following season.

The fans of thirteen of these clubs are totally cool with this idea.

The Stokies, the Baggies, the Sainties, the Barcodies and the rest of them are four square with owners for whom merely staying in the EPL is the ends in itself.

"Oh how spiffing.....I can go down Vicarage Road this afternoon and buy a half and half scarf because Man. Utd./ Arsenal/ Chelsea is in town....I hope we can keep the score respectable, eh wot".

And then there is us.

The good old Evertonians whom steadfastly refuse to accept second class status and will continue to rail against the complacency and downright apathy at the rotten core of our beloved club.

Every last one of us on here, be they grizzled old unreconstructed Blues from the 60s and 70s, children of the glittering 80s, survivors of Wimbledon Day and grateful to Gareth Farrelly or just plain old innocent Millennials whom were brainwashed by family members like me to become part of our footballing family........we ain't having it.

We will never willingly accept the glass ceiling nor will we sit and mildly applaud the absolute dross we are supposed to gratefully receive :rant:

COYBB

It isn't a lack of money that is holding us back.

And the reason why Spurs are so far ahead of us isn't because they've spent so much more than us. It'd have been an even more ridiculous orgy of fume on here all summer if we'd had the same transfer window they just had.

what if the coach who has no senior experience doesn't improve us Joey? What then?
Watching the under 23s on the occasional stream considering Unsworth has lost approx 8 players on loan - its a breath of fresh air - pace - width - goals - good defence - Unsy bawling out instructions - Chelsea under 23 away they were unbeaten they had Hazzard on a comeback they pounded us yet we won 3-0 and could have been 4 the speed we caught them on the break - basic good management the true Everton way - we then played Derby opposite manager Craig Short he played his maximum first teamer he could yet Unsy still won - Short stated even though our squad was depleted he expected Unsy to have the resolve to win as he was like that as a player!
the Everton way!
If it does not work out well at least we tried!

Why was he on a golfing holiday on transfer deadline day? That's the thing that really grinds my gears. We needed so many players. How can you be allowed to, and as a professional why would you want to, just take a holiday on one of the most important days of the season?

By contrast, Pochettino was signing Llorente on deadline day. A player we badly could have done with in every game this season.

Cos professional football is not Football Manager or Fifa. He doesn't do the deals for players. If he was needed he can be contacted easy enough. Koeman stated many times he wanted a striker and a left sided central defender and maybe cover for Baines. He said he had made the board aware of what he wanted. That suggests to me that he's not the one bringing the players in.

It would seem that he highlights areas that they need and someone else identifies the players. Perhaps Koeman has final approval on the player, and in some cases even highlights the player himself.

If Llorente had the choice of Spurs (London) or Everton do you think Koeman being at FF would have made a difference? He had the choice of Chelsea as well by all accounts.

There is certainly something wrong under the surface at Everton in how the Summer transpired. My guess would be a disconnect between Koeman and the Club/Walsh.

That doesn't excuse the fact that the side doesn't appear to be set up correctly, but let's not forget we played Man Utd away, Man City away, Chelsea away, and Spurs at home, while trying to bed in new players, and playing twice a week with the Europa games. In all fairness Moshiri's statement that the Burnley game is the first unexpected loss, probably isn't that far from the truth and if Sig puts that chance away early, no doubt that'd be a very different game as well.

Last season we had a run where we only won 1 game in 13 or something when he was giving the senior players a chance, before then opting for a more youthful set up and a great run of results. He's got out of this situation before and I fully expect Koeman to do it again. Then hopefully come January the obvious gaps in the squad will be addressed.

Don't think anyone should doubt this Lou.

But the one thing I won't 'entirely' blame RK for is the striker.

That's massively down to the board and Walsh imo. Koeman asked (publicly and clearly privately) ever since May for that issue to be addressed.

But we don't create clear chances anyway, so not sure what good it would do.
Just like Gylfi, however, Koeman has had blinders on for certain players. He wanted Giroud and only him. So we waited...and waited. And then the season started. Who sells their striker after the season starts?

So a vote of confidence for our manager - that's good as its the beginning of the end of him - as much as |I would like to see our results improve I fear they will not as RK can't pick a team!
every blue on here looks at it and knows its doomed before we kick off - added to that our away form even in RKs good days was appalling last season!

I don't understand how anyone is still backing him to be honest. The fixture list hasn't been kind, but the performances have been atrocious.

I don't like to compare it to the Martinez situation as I think they are very different and ultimately it's futile. How far back do you compare against? He's better than Walker so it's ok, but not as good as Moyes so it's not? Difficult to compare.
I think you have to mainly compare current performance to current expectation, at which Koeman is massively failing in my opinion.

Usual stuff that everyone knows already:
- Forever changing personnel, and never getting it right.
And 3 at the back is great - IF you are an attacking team. I think if you are setting out with a defensive mindset it does nothing but allow the opposition on to you, and you end up with 5 at the back.
- No striker
- CB
- Lookman
- Martina/Kenny
- No style or plan
and there's plenty more but I'd be repeating everyone else.

But my biggest concerns are that he never was good enough for us anyway. Moshiri has said he wanted the big name manager to put us on a level with the other north west clubs. A big name does not equal a good manager.

Koeman got 6th and 5th at Southampton. 6th was built on a solid season before from Poch...much like RM after Moyes, Bilic after Allardyce, etc. That season also, we were awful under RM and finished 10th. Had we had a normal season and achieved the normal 6th/7th that we were capable of, then Southampton finishing 7th isn't all that impressive suddenly. Likewise for the following year when they finished 5th. Chelsea, Liverpool and ourselves all had well below par seasons. That doesn't happen normally.
Yes, they capitalised on it, but it doesn't mean it was all that impressive.

I also think the external situation has changed dramatically since Martinez's reign. We now have incomparable financial resources, but also have a limited time window, which is why I think we have to act now rather than wait.

Wenger will be leaving Arsenal in a year or two. When he leaves they WILL get a top class manager straight away, who will be willing to splash the cash. Liverpool are seemingly getting fed up on the clowns antics - they won't keep employing "almosts" forever. Spurs haven't even started spending like a truly big club - yet they could. If and when these things happen, if we aren't on their coattails, it will take a monumental task to break top 6, let alone top 4.

If it's not working, why are we waiting? Change the manager now and the season can still be a relative success, and can maybe close that gap to the top 6.

Just like Gylfi, however, Koeman has had blinders on for certain players. He wanted Giroud and only him. So we waited...and waited. And then the season started. Who sells their striker after the season starts?
Who's going to get the crosses into him constantly and he is a lazy player if its there yes he will score but off the ball he is dross and old and expensive!

Cos professional football is not Football Manager or Fifa. He doesn't do the deals for players. If he was needed he can be contacted easy enough. Koeman stated many times he wanted a striker and a left sided central defender and maybe cover for Baines. He said he had made the board aware of what he wanted. That suggests to me that he's not the one bringing the players in.

It would seem that he highlights areas that they need and someone else identifies the players. Perhaps Koeman has final approval on the player, and in some cases even highlights the player himself.

If Llorente had the choice of Spurs (London) or Everton do you think Koeman being at FF would have made a difference? He had the choice of Chelsea as well by all accounts.

There is certainly something wrong under the surface at Everton in how the Summer transpired. My guess would be a disconnect between Koeman and the Club/Walsh.

That doesn't excuse the fact that the side doesn't appear to be set up correctly, but let's not forget we played Man Utd away, Man City away, Chelsea away, and Spurs at home, while trying to bed in new players, and playing twice a week with the Europa games. In all fairness Moshiri's statement that the Burnley game is the first unexpected loss, probably isn't that far from the truth and if Sig puts that chance away early, no doubt that'd be a very different game as well.

Last season we had a run where we only won 1 game in 13 or something when he was giving the senior players a chance, before then opting for a more youthful set up and a great run of results. He's got out of this situation before and I fully expect Koeman to do it again. Then hopefully come January the obvious gaps in the squad will be addressed.

Sorry mate, but if I was in Koemans position on deadline day, I wouldn't be playing golf on holiday regardless of form, and regardless of who's role is to do what. I would have wanted to take responsibility for my team and do absolutely everything I could to bring much needed senior players in not just jib off to Portugal on a jolly.

He could have gone on a nice golfing trip during the first international break in September or better still in the close season end of may/beginning of June when the players have their time off.

Ask yourself: is being on holiday on TDD as manager of EFC you doing everything you can and you doing your best to do your job to the best of your ability - i.e., being a professional?

In my opinion it isn't.

Sorry mate, but if I was in Koemans position on deadline day, I wouldn't be playing golf on holiday regardless of form, and regardless of who's role is to do what. I would have wanted to take responsibility for my team and do absolutely everything I could to bring much needed senior players in not just jib off to Portugal on a jolly.

He could have gone on a nice golfing trip during the first international break in September or better still in the close season end of may/beginning of June when the players have their time off.

Ask yourself: is being on holiday on TDD as manager of EFC you doing everything you can and you doing your best to do your job to the best of your ability - i.e., being a professional?

In my opinion it isn't.

But you can't micromanage the whole thing, especially if it's not your responsibility anyway, You give them an idea what you want, you say yes or no to certain targets and you're on call if you are needed. You shouldn't have to sit over people at that level to expect something to be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back