Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
But you can't micromanage the whole thing, especially if it's not your responsibility anyway, You give them an idea what you want, you say yes or no to certain targets and you're on call if you are needed. You shouldn't have to sit over people at that level to expect something to be done.

But if you really care about something being a success, i.e., you are a total professional, you do everything in your power to make sure things go the way you want them to - you don't just absent-mindedly leave important things to others, you take responsibility and force the issue.

Playing golf on holiday is not taking responsibility or forcing the issue, it's leaving others to sort something out when you could go above and beyond to help the situation, and this is what grinds my gears, like I originally said.

The attitude of 'it's not my problem any more, someone else is taking care of it' is naive and reeks of someone not wanting to take responsibility for themselves and their position.

Last edited:
He needs to stabilize a team and tactics around his best 11 and if he doesn't know who they are then he should go.

It's clear the players don't know how they are supposed to play, and some, (e.g. Williams), have been atrocious and should be dropped. I am sure one of the U23's would do better.

Actually, I think RK mis-calculated the Del Boy File too.

How we could have done with a bit of magic on the wing yesterday or at least someone our mediocre no 10's could pass to.

Kicked Del out but never replaced him. Kicked Niasse out but never replaced him.

well, he couldn't even get in the team last season and rightly didn't, because whenever he had a chance he was terrible. We definitely don't miss deulofeu.

But if you really care about something being a success, i.e., you are a total professional, you do everything in your power to make sure things go the way you want them to - you don't just absent-mindedly leave things to others, you take responsiblity and force the issue.

Playing golf on holiday is not taking responsibility or forcing the issue, it's leaving others to sort something out when you could go above and beyond to help the situation, and this is what grinds my gears, like I originally said.

It's like the behaviour of a child vs the behaviour of an adult imo.

Or the behaviour of a professional who has a stressful job, and a management structure in place to handle other sides of the business. Let's face it, the types of players were publicly targeted well before the window ended, so within the club you;'d have to think they knew all Summer the areas needed. It's not all just about deadline day.

Or the behaviour of a professional who has a stressful job, and a management structure in place to handle other sides of the business. Let's face it, the types of players were publicly targeted well before the window ended, so within the club you;'d have to think they knew all Summer the areas needed. It's not all just about deadline day.

I'm not laying all the blame on Koeman because he was away for Deadline day. Everyone involved at the club is responsible for whatever mistakes were made and I'm not disagreeing with that at all.

My point is, why was he playing golf on TDD when the club needs players. Its undeniably unprofessional.

Arsenal were willing to let Giroud go right up until the end of the window.

It was Giroud who decided he didn't want to leave in the last few days. The player himself has said this.

There's no evidence Koeman had the blinders on for Giroud. It seems EFC thought they had a deal very near to completion on that, but Koeman himself said there were other targets. However, when those other targets didn't come to fruition, he didn't want to get a player for the sake of it who wasn't an improvement on what we had.
It clearly wasn't the last few days of the window. There were reports from early August that we had given up on him, and some well placed journalists (Dominic King for one) stated that they weren't sure it was ever really a viable proposition.

I agree that there are others in place to handle different aspects, but I still think it's pretty poor form to not even be around. Some players are swayed by little things like that, the effort that a manager makes to get them and the welcome they're given when coming for talks. In my opinion, the manager not even being in the country is not going to help any attempt to sell the club to a player - particularly when it seems like Koeman's 'name' or reputation was a key reason for us bringing him in the first place.

You_Doodle_2017-10-02T14_39_35Z.webp

It clearly wasn't the last few days of the window. There were reports from early August that we had given up on him, and some well placed journalists (Dominic King for one) stated that they weren't sure it was ever really a viable proposition.

Giroud has said that he decided in the week leading up to the deadline mate.

That could have been any time after the 20th of August, probably, but it was still late.

Definitely time to have got someone else in, and a quality player at that.

He needs to stabilize a team and tactics around his best 11 and if he doesn't know who they are then he should go.

It's clear the players don't know how they are supposed to play, and some, (e.g. Williams), have been atrocious and should be dropped. I am sure one of the U23's would do better.

..I'm not sure that's the right approach. Indeed, it might be the cause of the problem.

Picking your 'best X1' players does not constitute your best team and results in square pegs in round holes situation. In my opinion, he's best picking a formation that is at least hard to beat and one that offers some threat, then pick the players who dovetail into it best.

Not sure why people are keen to give him until Christmas based on his track records of turning around bad spells of form (at both Everton and Southampton).

Questions must be asked about how he keeps managing teams into terrible patches of form, the players look absolutely shot to pieces, he reminds me of that snidey co-worker that's convinced the big boss that he's the dogs gonads, when in fact he's totally terrible at his job.

Getting a new manager in now would allow for 2 weeks to get some kind of belief and motivation back to the players, and give the new man time to see who his best 11 is, we cannot allow things to get as bad as they did under Martinez, it took a long time to pick our players off the floor after that disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back