Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
But you can't micromanage the whole thing, especially if it's not your responsibility anyway, You give them an idea what you want, you say yes or no to certain targets and you're on call if you are needed. You shouldn't have to sit over people at that level to expect something to be done.
If he was there he could have shown his exasperation and possibly made things happen due to his mere presence.

Being on a golf course in Portugal he was inert, it was a poor show imo.

Just like Gylfi, however, Koeman has had blinders on for certain players. He wanted Giroud and only him. So we waited...and waited. And then the season started. Who sells their striker after the season starts?

Arsenal were willing to let Giroud go right up until the end of the window.

It was Giroud who decided he didn't want to leave in the last few days. The player himself has said this.

There's no evidence Koeman had the blinders on for Giroud. It seems EFC thought they had a deal very near to completion on that, but Koeman himself said there were other targets. However, when those other targets didn't come to fruition, he didn't want to get a player for the sake of it who wasn't an improvement on what we had.

If he was there he could have shown his exasperation and possibly made things happen due to his mere presence.

Being on a golf course in Portugal he was inert, it was a poor show imo.

Maybe that was poor. But from someone I trust (and I said this a few weeks ago) Koeman was told it was all in hand and that a striker would be brought in.

He was let down - which is perhaps why he's been given this backing for now. I'm sure Koeman knows that if results don't improve he'll be gone, and whatever some people may think about him not caring (which in some way, I honestly feel as a fanbase Evertonians en-masse need to 'grow up' with the whole 'we need to be loved' thing, myself included), he certainly will if only for self-preservation of his career.

Sorry mate, but if I was in Koemans position on deadline day, I wouldn't be playing golf on holiday regardless of form, and regardless of who's role is to do what. I would have wanted to take responsibility for my team and do absolutely everything I could to bring much needed senior players in not just jib off to Portugal on a jolly.

He could have gone on a nice golfing trip during the first international break in September or better still in the close season end of may/beginning of June when the players have their time off.

Ask yourself: is being on holiday on TDD as manager of EFC you doing everything you can and you doing your best to do your job to the best of your ability - i.e., being a professional?

In my opinion it isn't.

I'm not saying I was thrilled, but as @Little Ralphy has said, you shouldn't have to watch over people who are technically 'above' you and make sure they do their jobs.

It's the DoF model that they and the board deal with transfers. Koeman was supposedly informed that the situation was in hand and deals were set to be done.

Maybe it's not what your or I would do, but then again it's the model the club have gone with so, strictly speaking, Koeman was sticking to his remit in this instance. Others not fulfilling theirs was the issue.

Regardless, a lack of striker isn't the main thing wrong with this team atm. It's a collection of crap, from coaches, players and the club hierarchy.

If yesterday was our only "unexpected loss", surely that implies that Lyon, Arsenal and Chelsea all coming up are going to be classed as "unexpected losses" also.
In that case, and we do lose them games, where does that leave us? Either sticking by a manager who has 2 wins (3 IF we beat Brighton) in 14 which surely proves how bad things are and are going to get, or we sack him because 2(3) wins in 14 isn't very good?

Begs the question, why are we waiting? Are we waiting for the games after that (including Leicester and Lyon away) to see how we fair? And if we lose them (which currently we would) and then sack him, we have just wasted 2 months a new manager could be working with this squad.

I just don't understand how he can't see how narrow and lacking in pace we are, the set up is half the problem.

I'm sure he does.

As someone (maybe @Mikey_Fitzgerald ?) said earlier, he has made pretty much every system-change the fans have asked for.

His mistake for me yesterday was not having Kenny and Davies in, but apart from that it's the side I'd have gone for.

And he isn't wrong in saying we should have scored in the first 20 minutes.

The issue is the capitulation of the team once they scored. And I'm not talking about the kids. It's the experienced players who went first, and I'd happily see the back of most of them at this rate.

I'm not saying I was thrilled, but as @Little Ralphy has said, you shouldn't have to watch over people who are technically 'above' you and make sure they do their jobs.

It's the DoF model that they and the board deal with transfers. Koeman was supposedly informed that the situation was in hand and deals were set to be done.

Maybe it's not what your or I would do, but then again it's the model the club have gone with so, strictly speaking, Koeman was sticking to his remit in this instance. Others not fulfilling theirs was the issue.

Regardless, a lack of striker isn't the main thing wrong with this team atm. It's a collection of crap, from coaches, players and the club hierarchy.

Yeah, like most times when your team isn't performing or getting results, the list of problems seem endless.

If yesterday was our only "unexpected loss", surely that implies that Lyon, Arsenal and Chelsea all coming up are going to be classed as "unexpected losses" also.
In that case, and we do lose them games, where does that leave us? Either sticking by a manager who has 2 wins (3 IF we beat Brighton) in 14 which surely proves how bad things are and are going to get, or we sack him because 2(3) wins in 14 isn't very good?

Begs the question, why are we waiting? Are we waiting for the games after that (including Leicester and Lyon away) to see how we fair? And if we lose them (which currently we would) and then sack him, we have just wasted 2 months a new manager could be working with this squad.

This is the crux of the issue.

By waiting, I think we're going to give Koeman more time. So like it or lump it we're probably going to have to deal with it unless Brighton goes drastically wrong and he is sacked on the spot.

I'm willing to give him more time if the performances were up to scratch and for 20 minutes yesterday we finally looked to have cracked it. And then it all fell to bits - and ultimately that's what happens when it's a team and fanbase playing (and watching) with no confidence.

I just don't know atm.

Indeed, the time is now considering the international break. But as usual, we'll dither.

Don't like being negative but i just cannot see anything improving anytime soon. There have been very few signs of any improvement in the last 12 games. We have been and still are going round in circles and seem to be completely devoid of a plan. Its reactive every week with the same mistakes occurring over and over with players and manager. Its like being in groundhog day, in fact Bill Murray would probably do a better job at getting us out of it. Not very optimistic at all currently which isn't like me. Just seeing nothing good sadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back