Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
In terms of competitive achievement (points secured in a season) and style of play (almost without exception our play was praised by everyone in the football industry) Martinez is head and shoulders as a coach above any manager since HKI.

The desperation of some to continue to denigrate that speaks volumes about them than the reality of the situation.

I understand you want the safe dull football of the Moyes era back, which is probably understandable after last season's league campaign. But it doesn't make you right.
Yeah mate winning 4 home games all season had the press and pundits positively purring about the Martinez football revolution.

He served up 2 years of absolute pap.

Yeah mate winning 4 home games all season had the press and pundits positively purring about the Martinez football revolution.

He served up 2 years of absolute pap.

I wonder if any other Everton manager has had his name sang by 85% of Anfield before. Until Koeman sinks to those depths, he's an obvious improvement.

To play great attacking football, unless you have ridiculous quality 1-11 and a back four of Maldinis it's difficult to keep a tight defence. Arsenal are a prime example, best in the league going forward most seasons aesthetically but don't win the league.

If you're throwing full backs forward, splitting centrebacks and not taking set pieces directly then you have to be great going forward to win games as you will concede (especially if Howard is your keeper)

Koeman has come in and tightened things up to improve results so of course our gung Ho moments aren't as full on as they were under Roberto. I doubt anyone's in the league are because other managers don't abandon the defensive aspects of play. What Koeman and other managers do is produce results winning football with a strong defence. Not play like the entertainers against Sunderland at home then play like a league 2 side the next ten games.

To play great attacking football, unless you have ridiculous quality 1-11 and a back four of Maldinis it's difficult to keep a tight defence. Arsenal are a prime example, best in the league going forward most seasons aesthetically but don't win the league.

If you're throwing full backs forward, splitting centrebacks and not taking set pieces directly then you have to be great going forward to win games as you will concede (especially if Howard is your keeper)

Koeman has come in and tightened things up to improve results so of course our gung Ho moments aren't as full on as they were under Roberto. I doubt anyone's in the league are because other managers don't abandon the defensive aspects of play. What Koeman and other managers do is produce results winning football with a strong defence. Not play like the entertainers against Sunderland at home then play like a league 2 side the next ten games.

15 players?

I know the current style is a bit Rugby but ok, this is too many players.

We havent played good football for 2 years David.

Lets get that right, as I said last week, you have Martinez PTSD, our football under Martinez was zombie football played with no tempo.

You also keep trotting out this line that we dont commit to attack, we play the same set up that we did under Martinez, with 2 holding midfielders and 4 attacking players. Koeman just doesnt like his team to waste time by playing from me to you between the CBs for 85minutes each game.

And nobody has said the squad was "the best since the 80s" for over 18months, ever since it became clear that Pienaar, Osman and Howard were finished that all stopped.
I actually thought we played some really good attacking stuff in the first 2/3 of last season, especially prior to the Xmas period. Agree we were inconsistent, couldn't defend to save our lives and had no idea how to see out winning positions, but some of our build up and counter attacking play was a joy to watch at times.

Ross was up there with Payet, Ozil and Mahrez in playmaker performances, Rom looked as though he would end up top scorer and Geri's assists were something else.

Yes I know it's the sum of the parts that counts in the end, and in that regard we weren't winning enough games or getting enough points on the table, but you can't say we didn't play some good football.

There's only one boss at Goodison, and that's the supporters, we'll be there when Bill,Mosh & Koeman are well gone, If I don't like what
he's doing, he'll be getting loads from me.

7 games mate... you cannot transform a team in 7 games... and he has without doubt improved our defence ...

I actually thought we played some really good attacking stuff in the first 2/3 of last season, especially prior to the Xmas period. Agree we were inconsistent, couldn't defend to save our lives and had no idea how to see out winning positions, but some of our build up and counter attacking play was a joy to watch at times.

Ross was up there with Payet, Ozil and Mahrez in playmaker performances, Rom looked as though he would end up top scorer and Geri's assists were something else.

Yes I know it's the sum of the parts that counts in the end, and in that regard we weren't winning enough games or getting enough points on the table, but you can't say we didn't play some good football.
Played some good football true, played some dire dross as well, as did Moyes, and as will Koeman I am sure, what counts is where we finish and/or what we win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back