Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
zzPROP140412-032-Sunderland_Everton.jpg
Lille-Flag.jpg

On my phone, so forgive the lack of banners, but.

*Martinez Out*
*Baines is 1 of us*

Martinez was that bad he made poor Bill ill.

I'm still a firm believer that unless a manager's first season is an utterly disaster you can't really judge him and his true plans until at least his second season. All this talk about 'inheriting squads' means nothing because the manger will want his own players for his own style, and importantly all other clubs are changing and this is a constant. You have to keep up with the competition.

I for one was extremely optimistic after Martinez's first season and he had most other people fooled too. But I can't stress the importance of a manger having his own squad to suit his tactics. I watched the spurs vs city game, and yes Guardiola had a few of his new additions available. But he has still inherited a squad where he has had to change their mentality and approach, and not everyone is going to adapt, hence why Hart was shipped off. Conversely, Poch has had time to build a very astute spurs team that is very much his own. Everyone knows their role.

No wonder the likes of Barkley are struggling, Koeman's high intense pressing and work rate is far from what Ross is used to. You'd think Cleverley and McCarthy would have adapted better but these players simply aren't good enough. I actually really liked our set up vs Spurs. I think a player like Deulofeu has the potential to play a pivotal role if his fitness levels improve.

That point against Spurs is starting to look like a very good one. Is it any surprise that Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs have played better than United and Chelsea? Once a manger has the players for the job, then you can scrutinise his efforts.

How many times did we hear last season that Martinez had at his disposal the best squad since the 80s? In fact, when we went four wins on the spin this season the very same point of view was trundled out again. We didn't/dont but they are vey respectable.

The first team were shown how to play football by the previous regime. They can pass and put together attacking moves (on the deck from anywhere on the pitch). Koeman is not exploiting that. If he'd come in and added energy and discipline - that was all that was required. But he seems determined to set aside everything and just commit to attack in small numbers and keep lots of bodies behind the ball. It's negative. And the ultimate demonstration of negativity is hoofing it at home against Palace.
I think we all accept that we needed to tighten up defensively, it was for me what killed Martinez.
In Koeman he has come in an focused around being tight in defence and keeping it busy in midfield. In itself this is working and we do look more sound at the back. The problem being is we have lost that attacking threat we had, this has been evident in the last few games.
I think there are two challenges ahead
1. Koeman to get the balance right
2. Patience from the fan base giving him time to get it right

I would love to see the balance of attack and defend, as for me I don't think we have the worst squad in the world.

It will improve: quantitatively in terms of minutes of a game they are "at it". However, I'm talking about improvement to the quality of the play.

Okay - well that we can agree on but small steps.

I don't think our play has in any way been 'bad'. We've looked very dangerous on the counter especially. It isn't as good as it was under Martinez's style when it worked (so three years ago and then sporadically for the last two seasons), but equally so it isn't as good as Southampton's play was under Koeman either...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back