Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before it all went wrong in the El Fraudo era, the term (prematurely as it turned out) 'Walton Globetrotters' was coined. This became the 'Walton Wobblers' (flown over by the Walton Luftwaffe of course), but ok, I think we are now in the time of the 'Walton Wanderers' - we're doing kick for position Rugby style, get our grocks in the final third and physically bully the rest into goals / mistakes. Not pretty but has been semi-successful to date vs the dregs of the league.

The School of Science has the padlocks on its gate again, that's for sure.

How many times did we hear last season that Martinez had at his disposal the best squad since the 80s? In fact, when we went four wins on the spin this season the very same point of view was trundled out again. We didn't/dont but they are vey respectable.

The first team were shown how to play football by the previous regime. They can pass and put together attacking moves (on the deck from anywhere on the pitch). Koeman is not exploiting that. If he'd come in and added energy and discipline - that was all that was required. But he seems determined to set aside everything and just commit to attack in small numbers and keep lots of bodies behind the ball. It's negative. And the ultimate demonstration of negativity is hoofing it at home against Palace.
Martinez was gash Dave, a total fraud who got completely exposed once the defensive solidity of the Moyes era was lost due to his total lack of defensive drilling.

To you, to me, to the keeper, to you to me, defensive panic, hoooooofff.

First half hour versus Spurs
Second half versus Sunderland
First 20 minutes versus Palace

...they are the periods of play this season that you could honestly say we played outstanding football.

Entire first half vs Spurs was outstanding. Boro from when they scored until half time.

Yes, it needs to click for longer periods - which is the point Koeman has made.

But, the improvements are clear compared to the last regime.

Martinez messed up big style.

The School of Science has the padlocks on its gate again, that's for sure.

As it has been for the last two years...

How many times did we hear last season that Martinez had at his disposal the best squad since the 80s? In fact, when we went four wins on the spin this season the very same point of view was trundled out again. We didn't/dont but they are vey respectable.

The first team were shown how to play football by the previous regime. They can pass and put together attacking moves (on the deck from anywhere on the pitch). Koeman is not exploiting that. If he'd come in and added energy and discipline - that was all that was required. But he seems determined to set aside everything and just commit to attack in small numbers and keep lots of bodies behind the ball. It's negative. And the ultimate demonstration of negativity is hoofing it at home against Palace.

We havent played good football for 2 years David.

Lets get that right, as I said last week, you have Martinez PTSD, our football under Martinez was zombie football played with no tempo.

You also keep trotting out this line that we dont commit to attack, we play the same set up that we did under Martinez, with 2 holding midfielders and 4 attacking players. Koeman just doesnt like his team to waste time by playing from me to you between the CBs for 85minutes each game.

And nobody has said the squad was "the best since the 80s" for over 18months, ever since it became clear that Pienaar, Osman and Howard were finished that all stopped.

He never got to utilise Lallana, Dave, he forced a move when Koeman arrived.

He brought in better players though to his credit, just takes time after what he was left with by the previous manager.

Poch left Southampton in a better position and Koeman improved. Martinez left us in a significantly worse position and Koeman has a tough task on his hands. I Can't blame him for immediately trying to make us solid at the back after what we've seen in recent years.
My mistake. The overall point stands thiugh, they did play entertaining stuff in Koeman's first season but the second season brought a more ugkier face to the fore.

Martinez was gash Dave, a total fraud who got completely exposed once the defensive solidity of the Moyes era was lost due to his total lack of defensive drilling.

To you, to me, to the keeper, to you to me, defensive panic, hoooooofff.
In terms of competitive achievement (points secured in a season) and style of play (almost without exception our play was praised by everyone in the football industry) Martinez is head and shoulders as a coach above any manager since HKI.

The desperation of some to continue to denigrate that speaks volumes about them than the reality of the situation.

I understand you want the safe dull football of the Moyes era back, which is probably understandable after last season's league campaign. But it doesn't make you right.

It's gonna take time to de-martinez them by the looks of it, some aren't used to pure hard work and running. This season is transistion much more so than when martinez took over.

In terms of competitive achievement (points secured in a season) and style of play (almost without exception our play was praised by everyone in the football industry) Martinez is head and shoulders as a coach above any manager since HKI.

The desperation of some to continue to denigrate that speaks volumes about them than the reality of the situation.

I understand you want the safe dull football of the Moyes era back, which is probably understandable after last season's league campaign. But it doesn't make you right.

Another myth.

Nobody praised our football, why would they? It was turgid zombie football.

Neutrals enjoyed watching us for the entertainment level of watching a team constantly throw away leads and defend like 3 year olds.

As I said, we last played good football sometime around March 2014, give or take a week or 2.

Entire first half vs Spurs was outstanding. Boro from when they scored until half time.

Yes, it needs to click for longer periods - which is the point Koeman has made.

But, the improvements are clear compared to the last regime.

Martinez messed up big style.

As it has been for the last two years...
It will improve: quantitatively in terms of minutes of a game they are "at it". However, I'm talking about improvement to the quality of the play.

Lay off the crack pipe will you

Another myth.

Neutrals enjoyed watching us for the entertainment level of watching a team constantly throw away leads and defend like 3 year olds.

As I said, we last played good football sometime around March 2014, give or take a week or 2.

Always makes me laugh when people dismiss our results against crap teams this season, while not acknowledging that 97% of the good football we've played in the past 2 years has been against the cannon fodder of the league.

Days of fume, absolutely days of it.

Sublime.

Another myth.

zzPROP140412-032-Sunderland_Everton.jpg
Lille-Flag.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back