Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's only one boss at Goodison, and that's the supporters, we'll be there when Bill,Mosh & Koeman are well gone, If I don't like what
he's doing, he'll be getting loads from me.
That's got to be the case tbh. The RS doing well is not exactly going to help the mood amongst the fans either.

Koeman needs to cut out the negative tactics. Fair enough against city or the RS but ceding territory to likes of Bournemouth and Palace is ridiculous.

I know it's early days etc, and obviously Koeman needs time, but I think when we've won games this season the result has masked some of our performances.

I suppose winning while not playing that well can be seen as a good thing.
Agreed anyone looking at the table now for solace has ignored that performances have been dropping off on a game by game basis.

There's nothing wrong with people passing comment on the style of football they're seeing at this stage. Results so far have been acceptable (apart from losing 50% of our season in one fell swoop at home to Norwich, which was absolutely unacceptable). But football is also an entertainment industry. We play too much aimless balls out of defence (and against absolute tosh too) for that to be deemed entertainment.

Get the ball down and play it. These players know how to do that. All they needed adding to their game was energy and organisation in defence. That's a means to an end though, not an end in itself...though when I hear Koeman talk sometimes it seems that it is for him.

I know it's early days etc, and obviously Koeman needs time, but I think when we've won games this season the result has masked some of our performances.

I suppose winning while not playing that well can be seen as a good thing.

Early days isn't it mate so it's to be expected. I thought we were excellent first half against Palace who are a decent unit. There's only Bournemouth where we really didn't put up any kind of showing and still should have sneaked a point in the end.

If someone had offered me the chance to be 5th, 4 points off the top at the start of October I would have bitten their hand off. Yep we've had a relatively easy start but Koeman has had a lot of work to do with this squad to get it up to scratch.

Not a bad time to have a break for us imo, get Baines back fit, Barry rested, work on Barkleys game and then hopefully be sharp and ready for City away knowing they have a massive game against Barca a few days later so hopefully we can catch them a bit cold.

There's nothing wrong with people passing comment on the style of football they're seeing at this stage. Results so far have been acceptable (apart from losing 50% of our season in one fell swoop at home to Norwich, which was absolutely unacceptable). But football is also an entertainment industry. We play too much aimless balls out of defence (and against absolute tosh too) for that to be deemed entertainment.

Get the ball down and play it. These players know how to do that. All they needed adding to their game was energy and organisation in defence. That's a means to an end though, not an end in itself...though when I hear Koeman talk sometimes it seems that it is for him.

He said on Friday that'd been a good start but that we needed to improve.

That's generally been his rhetoric all season so far.

We flirted with it briefly with Del and Lukaku linking up but el Bob knew better and the potent wing play of Cleverley and Kone ensured that that assist nonsense was stamped down on quickly.

I'll never forget the bold, innovative move of Osman on the left in our cup semi final against City and then bringing on Kone for Del when we went a goal down.

Early days isn't it mate so it's to be expected. I thought we were excellent first half against Palace who are a decent unit. There's only Bournemouth where we really didn't put up any kind of showing and still should have sneaked a point in the end.

If someone had offered me the chance to be 5th, 4 points off the top at the start of October I would have bitten their hand off. Yep we've had a relatively easy start but Koeman has had a lot of work to do with this squad to get it up to scratch.

Not a bad time to have a break for us imo, get Baines back fit, Barry rested, work on Barkleys game and then hopefully be sharp and ready for City away knowing they have a massive game against Barca a few days later so hopefully we can catch them a bit cold.

Agree, 7 games in is way to early to judge, thought our best performance was against Spurs, but apart from that game it's been really patchy IMO, a decent half here, decent half there, need to start getting some consistency into our performances.

No reason to boo the points total whatsoever. The league table is healthy. I think any booing is a reaction to what has been perceived as a slump back into the Martinez work ethic. Being outworked by Norwich Bournemouth and Palace in a row is not good enough. The fans know it and Koeman knows it. These players are not used to putting a full 90 mins together let alone consecutive ones. That will take time to change. In the meantime a good league position and more encouragingly a good defensive record shows good signs for the season and the future under Koeman.

Overall happy with where we are at the moment even if the last 3 games have been very disappointing. It is illogical, but it can still be frustrating when results actually match expectations - I think we will do well to finish higher than 8th so in that context, and in the context of the recent games, drawing to Crystal Palace and losing away to Bournemouth can't be earth shatteringly bad when benchmarked against that level of expectancy.

The scale of the task facing Koeman is dauntingly clear as I see it - there is a big gap between us and the top six in terms of both quality and depth and that almost certainly won't be bridged this season. It remains to be seen how ambitious we are for the January window but practicality and experience would tell me not to raise my hopes.

If this is a 3 year "project" for Koeman then it is realistic to expect this as a season of consolidation - hopefully comfortably in the top half. The LC cup exit is thus bitterly dissapointing as it is.

We then have to "go again" in the summer probably - hopefully with a much clearer and better executed transfer strategy. There are many gaps to be filled and in all likelihood, Lukaku will be another of them. In the meantime, we just need to try to adapt to Koeman's pressing style more effectively and try to achieve/maintain some degree of consistency of performance if not necessarily results - being tight at the back in particular and improving our home record.

If Koeman is a man in a hurry then I think it will work to our advantage - I think he will apply pressure on the board internally which can only be good and if our transfer strategy hasn't been properly fine tuned by next summer it will be very telling. I don't think he will be shy in expressing his view on it if and when it comes to that. Neither Koeman nor Everton can afford failure in reputational terms alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back