Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
We dominated that second half and then concede a poxy late goal.Their first goal was very sloppy.A legacy of the previous regime that is conceding sloppy goals as well as the fitness levels.It's not as if Martinez left him with solid foundations to work with is it?Don't worry about the money Davek if things don't work out then it won't cost us 10 million smackers in the end this time around.
Martunez left him the best squad since the 80's, according to some people
In fairness he left a decent squad, but we all knew it needed improving. RK will have the same problem during his tenure, simply because we are so far behind at least 5 clubs

Also we can't blame every defensive mistake and fitness on RM, it is tiresome

Yesterday's result was a combination of tactics, defending, not killing a game off and poor performances by various players

We dominated that second half and then concede a poxy late goal.Their first goal was very sloppy.A legacy of the previous regime that is conceding sloppy goals as well as the fitness levels.It's not as if Martinez left him with solid foundations to work with is it?Don't worry about the money Davek if things don't work out then it won't cost us 10 million smackers in the end this time around.
Ha Ha ha.

Best squad since the 80s wasted by the previous manager becomes an anchor around the next managers neck. It's pretty laughable.

Currently playing crap, 2 points out of 12, no win in 4 league games ( 5 if we add the league cup ) BUT we are still only 5 points off top and sitting in 6th.

I'm confident our Ronald can sort this team of plop out sooner rather than later.

Currently playing crap, 2 points out of 12, no win in 4 league games ( 5 if we add the league cup ) BUT we are still only 5 points off top and sitting in 6th.

I'm confident our Ronald can sort this team of plop out sooner rather than later.

We started better than Southampton last season.

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/i-dont-fear-the-sack-but-results-must-improve-koeman

Look at the above article from just before Christmas last year. At that point, Southampton were 12th and he was under pressure. Koeman stopped the slide and got Southampton moving in the right direction. In comparison, we our season went from bad to worse under Martinez.

Here's the way I see it, Mac.

On paper, looking at the table and seeing it in black and white, it has been a more than satisfactory first quarter of the season.

If those fifteen points had came in a regular sequenced form....say draw, win, loss and repeat a couple of times....I don't think there would be this soul searching going on.

We would be proceeding nicely, quietly with no frills football re-establishing the club after the turmoil that was the last three or four months of last season.

What is disgruntling many people though is the worrisome collapse in both results and more importantly, performances, since the fifteen minute spell in which we woke from a torpor and killed off Boro.

That run is now five games without a win, it includes three defeats, and that kind of run really depresses football fans.

It is certainly depressing me......and already I am back in the days of not watching MOTD and avoiding football themed programmes on the radio.

And if you had told me that a month ago I would have lol @ you :(

9 games into his tenure and here is my observations. Defensively better, had to be really couldn't have been any worse. Better organised, I seen Davek (I think) point out we can only keep intensity going for 45 mins, that's true. I'm thinking back to his Soton days and they always seemed to start poorly and finish strong a bit like Moyes tenure here. Hoping that will be the case. Things that are evident is by being better defensively our attacking prowess has suffered, without Rom we are bottom 6 material. Needs to get more from Mirallas, Deulofeu and Barkley they have all regressed in the last 3 years it can't all be down to Martinez, in Barkleys case perhaps I think Roberto has a lot to answer for, he was direct and looked like a Gazza type player, his first instinct now is to keep possession and play it safe, we seen glimpses yesterday that his direct running was coming back. Hopefully he pushes on.

Tactically he isn't afraid to change things, Spurs/City and West Brom games showed this. Yesterday I felt he was slow to react, I would have hooked Bolasie or Mirallas at half time and the Gueye sub was baffling.

One thing that worries me slightly is his lack of confidence in youth, nobody tell me Oviedo should be starting ahead of Holgate/Garbutt/Galloway I know 2 of them are on loan but he seems to have the horrible Moyes trait of not trusting young players, a sub appearance for Davies doesn't count in my opinion the game was over and only a couple of mins left when he appeared against Sunderland. If Dowell/Davies/Walsh were involved more now I could honestly live with a run of poorer form as I could see the benefit in the long term.

He needs to buy and January won't be the time to do it, need competition for Stek/Coleman and someone to help Rom, thing is the next striker we buy will be replacing him and that will be easier said that done. Could do worse than buying Pickford/Heaton Adam Smith from Bournemouth and perhaps testing the waters with Sturridge.

We have 9th place and 50 points written all over us this year I'm afraid.

9 games into his tenure and here is my observations. Defensively better, had to be really couldn't have been any worse. Better organised, I seen Davek (I think) point out we can only keep intensity going for 45 mins, that's true. I'm thinking back to his Soton days and they always seemed to start poorly and finish strong a bit like Moyes tenure here. Hoping that will be the case. Things that are evident is by being better defensively our attacking prowess has suffered, without Rom we are bottom 6 material. Needs to get more from Mirallas, Deulofeu and Barkley they have all regressed in the last 3 years it can't all be down to Martinez, in Barkleys case perhaps I think Roberto has a lot to answer for, he was direct and looked like a Gazza type player, his first instinct now is to keep possession and play it safe, we seen glimpses yesterday that his direct running was coming back. Hopefully he pushes on.

Tactically he isn't afraid to change things, Spurs/City and West Brom games showed this. Yesterday I felt he was slow to react, I would have hooked Bolasie or Mirallas at half time and the Gueye sub was baffling.

One thing that worries me slightly is his lack of confidence in youth, nobody tell me Oviedo should be starting ahead of Holgate/Garbutt/Galloway I know 2 of them are on loan but he seems to have the horrible Moyes trait of not trusting young players, a sub appearance for Davies doesn't count in my opinion the game was over and only a couple of mins left when he appeared against Sunderland. If Dowell/Davies/Walsh were involved more now I could honestly live with a run of poorer form as I could see the benefit in the long term.

He needs to buy and January won't be the time to do it, need competition for Stek/Coleman and someone to help Rom, thing is the next striker we buy will be replacing him and that will be easier said that done. Could do worse than buying Pickford/Heaton Adam Smith from Bournemouth and perhaps testing the waters with Sturridge.

We have 9th place and 50 points written all over us this year I'm afraid.
Agree with all of that, except that we've played 11 games, not 9. That defeat against Norwich in the EFL cup was more deflating than most people thought. By effectively opting out of this competition, Koeman sent a far more powerful message than any of his Press Conferences have produced.
We are on a bad run at the moment - two draws and three defeats in the last five games is just not good enough, especially given that those defeats were against Norwich, Bournemouth and Burnley.
What also concerns me is your point on the lack of opportunities that our young players will have under Koeman, and also the fact that he is not a stayer.I see him being here for three seasons at which point we'll know whether to replace him with Arsene Wenger or Mickey Mellon.

So when we've been excellent defensively (a masterclass in defending against City) this season that is down to Koeman, and when we concede sloppy goals (yesterday) that will be down to the legacy of the previous regime (Martinez)

The gk having a worldy is not a 'masterclass' in defending. Two saved pens and two finger tipped saves saved us from a hiding. The way Spurs set up is the way to play City...play the way we set up against City 99 times out of 100 teams will get tonked. Lady luck and a lone break up the field is not a method for success.

Regards Koeman, far too early to make any assessment. The only issue is I don't know what his style of play is. Seen plenty of his previous teams and there isn't an obvious identity that marks them out as a Koeman team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back