Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a bigger job on than he anticipated hasn't he. It could take a couple of season s, so we might have to be patient as there is a lot of dead wood on the books.
Who knows what he anticipated barring him?

We finished 11th for 2 seasons running, everyone knew he had work to do though. We're 3 or 4 top quality players away from having a first XI good enough to challenge the top 4.

Who knows what he anticipated barring him?

We finished 11th for 2 seasons running, everyone knew he had work to do though. We're 3 or 4 top quality players away from having a first XI good enough to challenge the top 4.

What on earth, of course not, I didn't mean it literally, more projecting my thoughts. If you think we only need 3 or 4 then your in for a disappointment in my opinion. I think we need a good clear out because there is a weak mentality running through the club from the previous regime.

There's no class in that though. It was Burnley. Bellyaching about not getting a point is not on. He needs to just take that on the chin and put it right.

It seems RK is incapable of just stowing it away and likes to blurt it out in some direction or another.
I think you've possibly climaxed too soon. Try relaxing ,picture past successful Everton teams ,see if can you mentally recall their names in sequence, pace yourself. Oh, and don't forget to enjoy it. It is,after all,meant to be pleasurable. :)

'Our most recent trophies' - 22 years ago was our last trophy, it's probably not wise to start looking at over 2 decades ago for advice

Why not? What we have been doing since hasn't worked so surely it is sensible to look at what did work when we were successful?

Why not? What we have been doing since hasn't worked so surely it is sensible to look at what did work when we were successful?
Sadly the game has changed in measures none of us could ever imagine

In our hey day of the mid 80,s the playing field was far more level. It meant other teams could challenge without spending a fortune that could support a third world country. In today's game it is all about money and what you can spend, in the main the big spenders win the Prem.
If there is one aspect I would take from or successful era, that would be to build a squad and patience

Sadly that isn't going to happen....

Patience,Koeman took over a side with two consecutive 11th place finishes. It will take at least the best part of a season to put right.
As an example our previous manager took over a top 6 side, it took a season before he got us where he wanted us. To his credit once he got us there he damn well kept us there. :)

The general consensus when finishing 11th was that we were massively under performing given the talent he had at his disposal. He rightly got the bullet and we bought one of the best upcoming managers in. He's brought 3 of his own players into that under performing team. And we haven't really improved. I'm concerned, I would have expected better, as I'm sure, if everyone was being honest, everyone else would have expected better too. It's ok to be critical but I'm not gonna be like some sort of cult and defend the indefensible and make all kinds of excuses. He was getting some plaudits earlier on in the season ( despite not really playing anyone) when we were getting some wins, so he can expect criticism when things aren't going well.

Sadly the game has changed in measures none of us could ever imagine

In our hey day of the mid 80,s the playing field was far more level. It meant other teams could challenge without spending a fortune that could support a third world country. In today's game it is all about money and what you can spend, in the main the big spenders win the Prem.
If there is one aspect I would take from or successful era, that would be to build a squad and patience

Sadly that isn't going to happen....

That's exactly what I would like to see. Building a squad of committed players who "get" the club rather than overpaid mercenaries for whom one club is the same as another. I believe our best chance of doing that is by bringing youngsters through (and Holgate, Pennington, Davies, Connolly and Galloway have all in my opinion done well enough to stay around the starting team when tried) perhaps with one or two experienced hands who haven't let us down (Barry, while he lasts, and Williams) to guide them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back