Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Completely untrue. The '£100 million war chest' was made up by the Echo. No right minded businessman(which is what Moshiri is) would announce how much he was prepared to spend in a transfer window in advance. Would you walk in to Matalan with a big notice saying you had £1000 to spend?
Terrible example in all fairness, as I can't imagine Matalan raising their prices just because you've told them how much money you've got.

PS I don't think Koeman was told 100m, but I am damn certain he was promised serious funds and not told he'll need to sell before he can buy.

I think too many of the current crop see no long term future for themselves here. Which is fine as I think wholesale change is required but of course we still need to bridge the gap between the squad as it is now and what will in all likelihood be a much changed squad in 18 months - 2 years.

If we can stumble along till January around the fringes of the Top 8 it will be ok. I would have thought previously that the January window would be difficult at best to do decent business in but there is some urgency in getting 2 or 3 players in then so I hope Walsh is busy even now. We simply can't spend protracted amounts of time going after players who have no intention of signing for us either so this has to be a really good window as it is so crucial.
We never really got any excitement or momentum built up from new signings in August and we have to work to get some more in as a priority.

That's exactly what I would like to see. Building a squad of committed players who "get" the club rather than overpaid mercenaries for whom one club is the same as another. I believe our best chance of doing that is by bringing youngsters through (and Holgate, Pennington, Davies, Connolly and Galloway have all in my opinion done well enough to stay around the starting team when tried) perhaps with one or two experienced hands who haven't let us down (Barry, while he lasts, and Williams) to guide them.
I wouldn't decry this approach in any way, but sadly managers don't get the time and the fanbase don't have the patience.

In today's game people want it now..

That's exactly what I would like to see. Building a squad of committed players who "get" the club rather than overpaid mercenaries for whom one club is the same as another. I believe our best chance of doing that is by bringing youngsters through (and Holgate, Pennington, Davies, Connolly and Galloway have all in my opinion done well enough to stay around the starting team when tried) perhaps with one or two experienced hands who haven't let us down (Barry, while he lasts, and Williams) to guide them.
If they 'get' the club and aren't mercenaries will they accept lifelong contracts at say £500 a week?

A bit like how Martinez took that late equaliser from John Terry on the chin last season and put it right.lol Obvioulsy it's disappointing but we should have got a draw at the very least.Some of those players would want to sort themselves out because if they don't then they will be got rid of in January imo.I think it's pretty obvious that Koeman inherited a poorly managed squad that couldn't defend and a squad that was unfit.Again as i said the clock is ticking on some of those players Everton careers.Koeman is here for the long haul.No matter how many toys you fire out of the pram.
He's here for as long as he's wanted. He better get success for £6M p.a.

Atm we have a team that defends in numbers, but cant even last beyond 45 minutes of acceptable intensity; and the standard of attacking football is atrocious.

That's where we stand with Koeman right now.

Atm we have a team that defends in numbers, but cant even last beyond 45 minutes of acceptable intensity; and the standard of attacking football is atrocious.

Our "atrocious"standard of attacking football has not been helped by the descent into mediocrity of players like Ross, Geri and Kevin...

Our "atrocious"standard of attacking football has not been helped by the descent into mediocrity of players like Ross, Geri and Kevin...

To be fair its up to the manager to get players playing at their best. If Geri, Ross and Mirallas have slipped then Koeman has to get them back to form.

I think he will and I'm a big fan of Koeman but the pressure is on him as much if not more than the players.

Atm... etc.
So better than last season, the only way is up then - glory beckons - glad to have you on board for the ride.

We dominated that second half and then concede a poxy late goal.Their first goal was very sloppy.A legacy of the previous regime that is conceding sloppy goals as well as the fitness levels.It's not as if Martinez left him with solid foundations to work with is it?Don't worry about the money Davek if things don't work out then it won't cost us 10 million smackers in the end this time around.

Atm... etc.
So better than last season, the only way is up then - glory beckons - glad to have you on board for the ride.
Points wise, exactly the same as last season. Defensively better, not as exciting as an attacking force.

These players aren't defenders and attackers. Ask them to do the former and their performance as an attacker will diminish.

I swear to God Leicester's PL win has blinded everyone to think that you can have an attacking three or four who all run around like Duracell bunnies and do everything. Leicester won that title by a shedload of fouls in both boxes that went unpunished and Liverpool-proportions of refereeing decisions on penalties for them and sendings off for opponents.

It's a myth they had a team full of dynamos that all teams can emulate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back