Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is literally impossible to do anything "of substance" 9 games into the season. Whatever you personally perceive as "good football" is not actual substance, not even close.
11 games including the two LC games. A short period, yes, but what you can do is to make a start on getting the back four to focus on their defensive duties and if need be clear their lines more than they had been encouraged to do in the past, but also to push up more and in the process get a midfield presence of ours into the opposition half ready to support attacks. As things stand we start every foray into the opposition half by having Bolasie and Lukaku carry the ball from their own half. It's a mammoth task for those two and I put that at Koeman's door.

To put it simply, I think we have all underestimated the task koeman has in front of him. A largely unflattering transfer window hasn't helped and we'll need to address this come January if we hope to get European football come the end of the season.

The stadium situation is the perfect metaphor for our team right now. The old team (Goodison), is not going to take us forward. It is old, outdated, passed it's prime, all we can do is give it a face lift - The "cladding" being the players signed in the summer. The next major window in the summer, (January will be more cladding and paint), needs to be the "spades in the ground" where we actually see the foundations of a new team begin to take shape. If not, then I do not see us building anything of any significance in the foreseeable future, team or stadium. I am an eternal optimist, so I think we will see those signs, but, like the stadium, it is not going to happen overnight.

*sigh*

I said there was a commitment to get at teams and score more goals. There was under Martinez. What I've seen so far from Koeman is a man who goes for safety in numbers. Well he's going to have to throw off the security blanket at some point because the trend is poor: last five games = no wins goals, for 3 goals, against 6....and that's against some terrible opposition apart from City.

Thats right David, keep moving the goalposts when they dont fit your agenda.

I think it's fairly obvious that Koeman doesn't rate the majority of the squad he inherited. In fact, he doesn't even seem particularly impressed with the better players.

My take is that he doesn't believe this team to be good enough to play expansive football, and on the evidence of the past two seasons I'd be hard-pressed to disagree.

Hopefully there'll be a lot activity over the next two windows, and we'll see a better standard of footballer on the pitch next season.
Stop talking sense lad

Thats right David, keep moving the goalposts when they dont fit your agenda.
There's no agenda over Koeman. I was supporting him being installed as manager when you were backing Emery - the next in a long line of Carlos Kickaball's you've advocated to be manager.

I wont let anyone off if they set out to play negative tripe though.

I think it's fairly obvious that Koeman doesn't rate the majority of the squad he inherited. In fact, he doesn't even seem particularly impressed with the better players.

My take is that he doesn't believe this team to be good enough to play expansive football,
and on the evidence of the past two seasons I'd be hard-pressed to disagree.

Hopefully there'll be a lot activity over the next two windows, and we'll see a better standard of footballer on the pitch next season.
Well that's unfortunate for him. Perhaps we can dip into the £150M transfer kitty required to change the squad personnel for him then, and that can save him having to actually bring some coaching into the equation to teach players how he wants to play.

The stadium situation is the perfect metaphor for our team right now. The old team (Goodison), is not going to take us forward. It is old, outdated, passed it's prime, all we can do is give it a face lift - The "cladding" being the players signed in the summer. The next major window in the summer, (January will be more cladding and paint), needs to be the "spades in the ground" where we actually see the foundations of a new team begin to take shape. If not, then I do not see us building anything of any significance in the foreseeable future, team or stadium. I am an eternal optimist, so I think we will see those signs, but, like the stadium, it is not going to happen overnight.

The difference for me is that we pay someone £6M per season to make progress on the team; we just talk and talk about the stadium.

I expect this coach to add value to existing players here as well as spending out.

There's no agenda over Koeman. I was supporting him being installed as manager when you were backing Emery - the next in a long line of Carlos Kickaball's you've advocated to be manager.

I wont let anyone off if they set out to play negative tripe though.

We had 21 shots and 8 corners on Saturday, you act like we defended for 90minutes.

I mean the BBC said this :

How did Everton lose that?
It was an astonishing finish as Everton had totally dominated after equalising and appeared the only side likely to force a winner.

The Toffees' main downfall was that, after a bright opening, they failed to make the most of their dominance, despite a shot count of 21 to nine in their favour.

We had 21 shots and 8 corners on Saturday, you act like we defended for 90minutes.

It was an astonishing finish as Everton had totally dominated after equalising and appeared the only side likely to force a winner.

The Toffees' main downfall was that, after a bright opening, they failed to make the most of their dominance, despite a shot count of 21 to nine in their favour.

Thought we played pretty well on Saturday.

Unfortunately, so did Tom Heaton.

Thought we played pretty well on Saturday.

Unfortunately, so did Tom Heaton.

We battered them, but if you dont take your chances you leave yourself open for what happened.

Its not been a great month, I do understand a degree of negativity, im not happy we havent won in 5, another tough game on Sunday, people expecting any easy games in this league are in for a shock, every team, bar Sunderland, will scrap for every single point.

We battered them, but if you dont take your chances you leave yourself open for what happened.

Its not been a great month, I do understand a degree of negativity, im not happy we havent won in 5, another tough game on Sunday, people expecting any easy games in this league are in for a shock, every team, bar Sunderland, will scrap for every single point.

Im not negative. Like you say, folk who look at the next few fixtures and go, "Win, Win, Draw" are from the Ally McLoud school of delusion.

Whatever some folk say, this squad and club needed major surgery.

The first cut is the deepest.

We were chasing that game in the second half...this is Burnley we're chasing it against, btw! I'd expect us to be piling up attacks. But where does that go to at City (did S'ton hide away and park the bus?); what happened against Palace at home when we hung on for a point?; How did Bournemouth show us how to attack down there?

I'm not against a defensive game when it's required against good teams, but the defence shouldn't be at the expense of giving us a chance to get forward and attack ourselves. That happens to us because we haven't sorted that defence out yet, it;s still a mess; Koeman has neglected that and that's why he defends with 8/9 men.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back