Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
An excuse for Koeman could well be the starting point he was given to work from, same with Martinez, he was afforded a really good defence, that aided him, Koeman is clearly building from the back, creating a base to work from.

What I'm saying is given the two starting positions Koeman and Martinez started from, I'd of expected a better start from Martinez, although Martinez had an easier start on paper.
Koeman inherited a broken team. One thing Koeman is good at, and that is rebuilding teams that have, for one reason or another, been torn into disarray. It would seem that's all he ever did at Southampton. It's clear he had little influence on our summer window, based on the fact he has stated he does not involve himself in the bidding wars and agent madness. I have no doubt he was as disappointed as the rest of us over that shambles - with few, if any of the players he had wanted, signing on the line. He can only coach and pick the best eleven available for the job in hand. In these first nine games, we have seen some experimentation and tweaking going on. It is a work in progress and I do not envy him that job (although, the salary is tempting).

Thats a disgusting level of elitism you have there David, Burnley and Bournemouth both have very good home recorAnd Southampton gained the same amount of points we did against City.You keep saying we defend with 8/9 men, Ronny wants us to defend with 11 men, you simply have no idea how pressing football works and I suspect 3-4 of our players either dont know or dont have the stomach for it.We field 4 attacking players every single game, the onus is on those players to perform.
We have the 2nd best defensive record in the league, I will take you apart post by post, I will crush you under the might of reasoning and sensibility, bend the knee or leave the thread, I am your reckoning.

You can't handle this fire power sonny Jim. Desist and stand down or you'll be obliterated. My words will blot out your sun.

Koeman inherited a broken team. One thing Koeman is good at, and that is rebuilding teams that have, for one reason or another, been torn into disarray. It would seem that's all he ever did at Southampton. It's clear he had little influence on our summer window, based on the fact he has stated he does not involve himself in the bidding wars and agent madness. I have no doubt he was as disappointed as the rest of us over that shambles - with few, if any of the players he had wanted, signing on the line. He can only coach and pick the best eleven available for the job in hand. In these first nine games, we have seen some experimentation and tweaking going on. It is a work in progress and I do not envy him that job (although, the salary is tempting).
My worry is that Puel has walked into Southampton and basically picked up where Koeman left off. They've been a top 8 team for half a decade now. Maybe Koeman didn't have as big an influence there as is commonly assumed.

Not only do we have 2 points more at this stage of the season (as pointed out by @MoutsGoat) but Martinez was one quarter of the way through his third season, not one quarter of the way through his first season, so it's not quite a fair comparison is it?
I take the two points more bit, but we can expect a new manager bounce: we had that with the draw and four wins. Now the novelty has worn off and we've struggled for the last four PL games and been knocked out of the cup.

Don't get me wrong. He's a decent manager and will get us top half. I just don't buy into Koeman as a great manager or one who's a million times better than his predecessor here. The proof will be in the eating on that one. Let's see what he does. The early signs are though that he isn't too fussy about playing attractive football, despite all his words to the contrary. So far it's been a drab brand of football.

[QUOTE
My worry is that Puel has walked into Southampton and basically picked up where Koeman left off. They've been a top 8 team for half a decade now. Maybe Koeman didn't have as big an influence there as is commonly assumed.

He did, look at the players he lost and then how he replaced them.

Tadic, Forster, Van Dijk, Mane, Austin to name a few.

He knows the score, once he gets shut of Mirallas, Deulofeu and Barkley we will be on our way.

Could well be that Koeman kept the Pochettino plate spinning and Puel is doing the same. Often happens at clubs. Look at Swansea when Martinez left: Rodgers then Laudrup then Monk adhered to the plan in place. No disgrace in that like, but it does question the scale of their achievements as they weren't the originators of that grand plan.

I take the two points more bit, but we can expect a new manager bounce: we had that with the draw and four wins. Now the novelty has worn off and we've struggled for the last four PL games and been knocked out of the cup.

Don't get me wrong. He's a decent manager and will get is top half. I just don't buy into Koeman as a great manager or one who's a million times better than his predecessor here. The proof will be in the eating on that one. Let's see what he does. The early signs are though that he isn't too fussy about playing attractive football, despite all his words to the contrary. So far it's been a drab brand of football.
He has certainly gone about addressing our defensive issues. Time will tell if he has the tools currently at his disposal (lukaku apart) to address our striking options. It has been workmanlike to say the least watching our attacking play.

[QUOTE

He did, look at the players he lost and then how he replaced them.

Tadic, Forster, Van Dijk, Mane, Austin to name a few.

He knows the score, once he gets shut of Mirallas, Deulofeu and Barkley we will be on our way.
I'm not saying he didn't lose players and replace them. Obviously he did. But how has Puel done without Mane this season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back