Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was clear at the end of his first season that Martinez was in fact a Moyes in sheep's clothing. There were more similarities between them than you think.

Have CL qualification in your own hands, and then proceed to completely blow it? Check.

Get turfed out of every cup competition at the first sign of difficult opposition? Check.

Stick religiously to whatever the vogue formation is, regardless of whether it actually suits the players? Check.

Routine humiliations at Anfield? Check.
Yeah, he blew the CL qualification by getting a points total that 9 times out of 10 would secure a CL place. We were running on fumes by the end of that campaign. The players gave their all and by a statistical freak it wasn't good enough. No shame in that.

He didnt rebuild the Southampton team.
Boruc, Clyne, shaw, lovern, chambers, lallana, scherderlein and lambert. The vast majority of those players were not just squad players, but starting players for the first 11. If not being rebuilt that is a serious overhaul of a squad he needed to implement.

@Timak mentioned Tuchel a season or so back and I sort of scoffed at it. I was wrong. He went in seamlessly to that Dortmund job and had them playing first time of asking, and this season they're doing ok too and will defo finish RU again despite being 4 points off it now. They're playing well in the CL too. Out of all those mentioned there I'd take Tuchel in a heartbeat. His teams are exciting to watch...unlike our one right now.

You've just compared Borussia Dortmund, a Champions League team who've spent a bucket load of money and have top class players, to Everton. Is everything ok David?

@davek

@Timak mentioned Tuchel a season or so back and I sort of scoffed at it. I was wrong. He went in seamlessly to that Dortmund job and had them playing first time of asking, and this season they're doing ok too and will defo finish RU again despite being 4 points off it now. They're playing well in the CL too. Out of all those mentioned there I'd take Tuchel in a heartbeat. His teams are exciting to watch...unlike our one right now.[/QUOTE]

I remember after Moyes left there was one or two shouts on here for Tuchel as a excellent up and coming manager. So his name certianly not just exclusive to the summer just gone, one or two head son here wiser than they appear lol

@Tony Hibbert's 3rd leg

Only thing i can reply to your post with is, would a different manager been able to attract better players, meaning we started better again? that is assuming the club intended to spend any money!

(edit, no idea what went on above!)

Yeah, he blew the CL qualification by getting a points total that 9 times out of 10 would secure a CL place. We were running on fumes by the end of that campaign. The players gave their all and by a statistical freak it wasn't good enough. No shame in that.
The same season that Brendan Rodgers recorded a points total that would have won the title in many of the years prior. I don't suppose you consider him an uncrowned Premier League champion?

Points don't mean anything outside the context of whichever season they were collected in.

You've just compared Borussia Dortmund, a Champions League team who've spent a bucket load of money and have top class players, to Everton. Is everything ok David?
Should have been "I'd have taken" Tuchel - if he'd been available this summer and not at Dortmund. He is vastly superior to any of those we looked at for a manager this summer, including Koeman.

Pity no-one refilled the tank for the next 2 seasons.

Should have been "I'd have taken" Tuchel - if he'd been available this summer and not at Dortmund. He is vastly superior to any of those we looked at for a manager this summer, including Koeman.

If we wanted Tuchel we'd have had to get him about 3 years ago when hardly anyone knew who he was.

The same season that Brendan Rodgers recorded a points total that would have won the title in many of the years prior. I don't suppose you consider him an uncrowned Premier League champion?

Points don't mean anything outside the context of whichever season they were collected in.
No, I dont. And I dont consider Martinez a manager that led us to a CL spot either. He run up a total that will never be beaten until we get a billionaire in the club...a real one that spends cash, that is.

If we wanted Tuchel we'd have had to get him about 3 years ago when hardly anyone knew who he was.
Tuchel was there for any decent PL club to bring in as and when they wanted up until the summer before last. He was Mainz's ex manager clicking his heels.

No, I dont. And I dont consider Martinez a manager that led us to a CL spot either. He run up a total that will never be beaten until we get a billionaire in the club...a real one that spends cash, that is.
You do seem to think that Martinez's fifth place finish was more meaningful than any of Moyes'.

I would argue that it doesn't demonstrate anything other than a particularly weak league in 2013/14.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back