Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Martial has a 1 in 3 strike rate for UTD and is only 20 years old...

Stones is a first pick at centre back for the top team in the league, Sane is adjusting to the league.

How did Martinez try it this way? The only player of top quality u21 he signed for decent money is Lukaku...if he had had the cash to sign 2 a season at top quality rather than needing to fill many positions it would be a different story

No it won't because he does not know how to set up a defence to win football matches.

He hasn't sorted that defence mate. Putting 8/9 behind the ball in our half is not sorting the defence. Coaching the back four to do their own defensive shift is sorting it.

You and your ilk have been piped down for now.lol Anyway it's nearly bonfire night and were four points of a champions league place and 5 points off the top.Despite the slight bump over the last couple of matches it's been a great start to the season under Koeman.I think any Everton supporter with some semblance of sanity is happy enough right now.

Martinez showed that it doesn't matter a jot how good a side can be offensively if they can't keep them out at the other end. Football is a back to front game and Koeman has rightly prioritised the defence, and defending as a team. And we can and will do better there too.

Yes we will concede and there will be errors, but there won't be the embarrassingly awful collapses we saw last year. We just knew at 2-2 in the same fixture last season that West Ham would go on to win. Not to mention the slew of other late goals, and goals lost in quick succession. That has gone and I don't underrate the fact that it has.

RK has acknowledged our offensive challenges. We lack fluency and don't press high enough. The general dependence on Lukaku for goals continues to be a real worry.

But RK is getting the basics right and let's not forget the bulk of the squad is not his. Yes it's his responsibility to get on with it anyway which he is doing. We all want to see players signed in January. Ultimately I don't think the majority of this squad will make the cut under RK. I expect it to be radically different by the end of his contract. As we go it's been a very acceptable and solid start with the most glaring problems addressed. Onwards and upwards.

Ruud Gullit's been talking about Koeman on the BBC. Nothing mentioned is surprising but worth a look. Sorry don't know how to attach the link, so copied.

Everton boss Ronald Koeman: 'Precise, pragmatic and likes different coloured pens'
_84553802_ruudgullit_bbc.jpg

By Ruud Gullit

I got an idea of how precise Everton boss Ronald Koeman is as a manager when we did our coaching qualifications together in the Netherlands in 1998, and he got his pencil case out.

I had just been sacked as player-manager by Chelsea and, along with Ronald, Frank Rijkaard and Marco van Basten, I went on a special fast-track course that the Dutch FA had put on for former top international players that allowed us to get our badges in only a year.

Koeman, who had retired in 1997, had always wanted to become a manager when he was a player and you could tell then he wanted to make the most of this opportunity.

We were all enthusiastic but even his note-taking was extremely systematic - it still makes me laugh that he wrote everything down very carefully using lots of different coloured pens.

How you train is how you play - true then, and now
_92157077_ronaldkoemantakesanevertontrainingsession.jpg

Koeman gives instructions to his players during an Everton training session
That course was 18 years ago but Koeman is still a very pragmatic guy who loves to have a structure in place, which is part of the reason he has made a successful start at Everton after his impressive two-year spell at Southampton.

One of his sayings is "how you train is how you play", which has been his mantra since we played together for PSV Eindhoven and the Dutch national team in the 1980s.

I was always used to that approach too. It was rule number one under the best coaches I played for and the idea is that during the week you mimic the conditions you will play under on Saturday, so you get used to them.

I am sure Everton players have found out already what is expected of them - Koeman will not let them switch off during training games or think they can only give 70% effort. It has to be 100%.

He has increased the intensity of their sessions but there is more to his approach as a manager than just hard work and discipline.

Technically and tactically he is very strong too, and part of that is linked to how he was as a player.

Koeman always thinks ahead
_92157075_set-pieces.png

Under Koeman, Everton have conceded from a set-piece on average once every five matches. Under his predecessor Roberto Martinez, Everton conceded 14 goals from set-pieces in 2015-16, an average of one every 2.71 matches
Koeman was a brilliant defender but he was not very quick. If you are the slowest player on the pitch then you always have to be thinking what will happen next.

He needed to anticipate things all the time, but he did it so well he never made any slide tackles because he never had to, he always saw things coming. In fact, he saw slide tackles as a last resort.

So I know he always understood the game very, very well. He was always in the right place so he never got in any trouble.

That made him a very intelligent player and it is also why he is such an intelligent coach - he thinks ahead.

One example of that is when he took charge at Everton in the summer, he knew how they had conceded too many goals from set-pieces last season, so he has been trying to improve that, and it has worked.

Leadership is one of his strengths too
He is quiet, considered and thoughtful and his whole personality is like that - even away from football too - although he is not afraid of raising his voice when he has to with his players.

Those communication and man-management skills were obvious when we were players. I was captain of the Dutch team that won the 1988 European Championship, but we had a couple of players who took responsibility for their area of the team and he was one of them.

Koeman was captain of our defence and leadership was one of his strengths.

_92157366_netherlandswineuro88.jpg

Gullit and Koeman celebrate winning the 1988 European Championship with the Netherlands
In that era, we had a lot of strong personalities right through the Dutch team. People now say that we were always fighting but that is not true.

We could argue at times, though, because ultimately we always wanted to win and, if somebody did not do their job at the back then I needed Ronald to tell him that.

How Koeman tried to sting Barkley into action

Sometimes I watch Premier League games here and when people make mistakes they say nothing to each other - they just let it go and it is like happy families. I don't understand it.

If you want to win, you have to wake people up and I have seen Koeman do it already at Everton. With his treatment of Ross Barkley in the past few weeks, he has been trying to sting him a little.

That is also our way - the Dutch way - a little bit. He has high standards and he has been saying to Barkley that if you don't want to listen to me, then you have to learn the hard way.

By leaving him out, or taking him off, then Koeman is thinking that maybe he will learn.

He is trying to show Barkley that this is how you will end up if you don't do what is necessary for me, but for sure he will also have told the player that he is only doing it because he wants him to become better.

Koeman has done it to get a reaction and he got one against West Ham on Sunday, when Barkley scored his first league goal since the opening day of the season.

How far can Koeman take the Toffees?

It was not a great game, or a great performance by Everton but they took their chances against the Hammers and got the win.

They also got a clean sheet, and Tottenham are the only top-flight side to have conceded fewer goals in their first 10 games. That is something else Koeman will have worked on, although you would not say Everton are a defensive-minded team.

In terms of his style of play, I think he is very versatile. He played for so many great teams and had exposure to many different styles, with the ultimate being Johan Cruyff's Barcelona.

But of course he cannot play like Barca did when he is with Everton, and he understands that you have to adapt your style to the players you have got.

As a coach you learn that, although you have a philosophy, that doesn't mean you have a set tactical philosophy. That can be something totally different each week.

You also have to adapt to the league you are in. Koeman has experience across Europe but he also knows the Premier League now after his two seasons with Southampton.

He knows how to get results in England but he also knows to stay calm when they do not come. Before Sunday, Everton had suffered a little drop in form after their good start to the season but he believes in his players so there was no need for him to panic.

Koeman finished seventh and sixth in his two seasons at Southampton and it is going to be hard for him to improve on that with Everton, especially when you consider the other teams above them.

It will be a fantastic achievement if they do manage it and under Koeman I know they will fight hard, so they have a chance.

2nd Half against WHU is how I expect to see them play every game now, pressing from the front but from the start, they weren't tired at the end on Saturday so fitness levels are there and what a difference it makes not only to the play but to the crowd as well.

No no no no no!

It really isn't a Murdoch era nu fan thing at all. You're kidding yourself. Football has always been an entertainment as well as a tribal thing. If that wasn't so there'd be no professional football at all and people would gravitate toward local amateur teams.

I mean, what's the attraction in seeing people who can only do as much as you yourself can do on the ball? We don't look for that, we look for people at the top of their game performing individually and as part of a team in a way that's way beyond our capabilities. In short, we look to be entertained. This is as old as the game itself. Working class people paying to see their own form of ballet. Don't sell that historical fact short as some sort of Sky era nonsense. You do it an injustice.

Oh yeah, working class folk went along to the match thinking about how much entertainment they were going to get. Football was much more tribal and less about entertainment when I was a kid and it was even more so for the generation previous to me.

The very fact that you called it an "industry" shows how much in hock to the people that run football these days your mindset is.

For sure, people have always gone along to see players more skilled than themselves, but you're kidding yourself if you think football was an "entertainment industry" even 40 years ago never mind earlier.

You know what else I LOVED today.

Game management.

Seeing the issue and bringing on Cleverley and then Jags to pretty much guarantee the win.

Actually felt confident being two nil up at home for the first time in two years.
If honest the best man management of the day was taking Barkley off so he could be rewarded with a great ovation from the faithful. I was very critical of RK when he publicly decried the lad, I still think it was unwarranted.
But yesterday he done the right thing..

You can. But you cant see the wool from the trees.
You seem to think football HAS to be stylish. It doesnt. Simple as.
Football has to have many elements to succeed
The great clubs in history find all them elements and make sure they keep them and carry on in finding more of them.

Style is without doubt one of them....

Wouldnt be everton fans if we didnt moan after a win,our fans for me do it like no other fans,we could be so absoulte perfect [no chance] and there would still be moans lol
It's agenda driven drivel or Martinez fanboys still crying themselves to sleep at night.

Looking at the other leading candidates this Summer I'd suggest we've landed on our feet, De Boer looks set to be sacked from Inter and his own players won't even shake his hand and Emery has PSG 6 points off the pace when they're the only horse in the race.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back