Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Rooney or Sigurðsson?

Rooney or Sigurðsson?

• Rooney

Votes: 61 12.6%
  • Sigurðsson

Votes: 260 53.5%
  • Neither

Votes: 53 10.9%
  • Both

Votes: 112 23.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Manchester United is the marketable asset, not Wayne Rooney, certainly not a washed up version if him who hasn't been good for a good few seasons.

Nail on the head.

We're not going to get huge shirt sponsorship deals just through signing a big name player who is past it.

The only way we'll attact big revenue streams is through winning stuff and increasing our global fanbase.

Incredible set peices and very good in open play just needs to get more touches and no offence to Swansea he will get more chances with us

It's the consistency of goals and assists;

upload_2017-3-20_15-54-7.webp

He's getting better every season, always impressed me whenever I've seen him play.

If we're after a threat in the final third, he's that.

Who else is in for him or will be,dont get the fuss about to be honest mate big fish in a little pond.

So, unless players are at a top club they're no good?...

rooney yeah, but keane? Not for me, it's that similar sort of level as williams, gueye and bolasie of picking off better players from lower-mid table clubs. We can and have been doing that for years before we even had money. I want us to be getting CL quality players from decent clubs like napoli etc. and making them make that slight step down in order to take us up.

Very harsh on Keane this.

There's a good reason he's in the England squad, he's had a brilliant season. Watched the Liverpool vs Burnley game the other week, specifically too keep an eye on him and he was absolute class. He might not have the swagger on the ball that makes Van Dijk stand out or used to make Stones stand out, but I've seen very few better defenders in the league this season and his distribution is very good - much better than any of our current centre backs, he's also much better in the air than any of our current defenders. I'd have him in a heartbeat - if we don't, then one of the other top 6 clubs will.

On the Rooney/Sigurdsson question - I'd say Gylfi, although I tend to think his creativity is a little bit overstated. The lad is world class from dead balls, but he gets surprisingly few assists from open play. He has 5 this season which is by a distance the most he has ever managed in a PL season before, apparently. He only has something daft like about 15 assists from open play in his entire PL career. From a dead ball though, he's absolute mustard and even that would improve us. Rooney would give us good cover in a couple of positions but, despite the big name, I don't think he'd necessarily be a first choice player in any of them. I'd be perfectly happy with both of them though as they'd both improve us in different ways.

Who else is in for him or will be,dont get the fuss about to be honest mate big fish in a little pond.

It's harder to do what he's done at a struggling team than it is when you're at a stronger team with better players around you.

Like usual though, loads of people refuse to rate any player who isn't already playing for one of the elite teams.

As if Geuye hasn't show how wrong thinking that way can be.

That would be my concern, he's definetly a very good player but can he step up a level? We are in a difficult position in terms of signings, we'll struggle to get the very best as we've been off the radar for a number of years. Someone like VDV would be more of a statement signing, doesn't mean there is a massive differnec between the two players but in terms of current reputation there is. Someone like Tielmanns would probably make people take notice as would someone like Mertens. Whilst Sigurdsson is possibly a better bet than Rooney I think Rooney would do more for our profile, particulalry if he starts notching again.

It's the consistency of goals and assists;

View attachment 35461

He's getting better every season, always impressed me whenever I've seen him play.

If we're after a threat in the final third, he's that.

So, unless players are at a top club they're no good?...
Who said that, i ask who else is he linked with,and some players are more comfortable being at a smaller club,he was at spurs and it didn't happen,i could be wrong just an opinion.

It's harder to do what he's done at a struggling team than it is when you're at a stronger team with better players around you.

Like usual though, loads of people refuse to rate any player who isn't already playing for one of the elite teams.

As if Geuye hasn't show how wrong thinking that way can be.
He was a spurs and it didn't work out for him,and people can have different opinions.

sigurðsson without a doubt, both would be nice.
27 peak of career compared to Rooney's almost finished.

Looking at Assists sigurðsson is top from whole league
with 11 [Barkley - 7] considering Swansea have only scored 36

[yes i do know Barkleys stepped up recently ALOT, but even both
with ross deeper can sure take players on with sigurðsson infront
with the killer balls etc would be a frightening attack. both offer
goals also and a top striker/keeping Lukaku we'd be sound that erea.

Who said that, i ask who else is he linked with,and some players are more comfortable being at a smaller club,he was at spurs and it didn't happen,i could be wrong just an opinion.

He wasn't bad at Spurs mate, a new manager and he wasn't fancied. He only went to Swansea I reckon because he had a spell on loan there before Spurs. Check his record, decent goals/assists at every club.

This. People won't suddenly start caring about Everton, they'll just stop caring about Rooney.

I think they already have mate.

Already England are downplaying his captaincy;

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-defoe-england-squad-recall-germany-lithuania

“We have to look at Wayne as a No10, which is his predominant role,” Southgate said. “In the last two games we’ve played Dele Alli there and we’ve played Adam Lallana there. Both are playing very well, scoring and assisting for their clubs. Ross Barkley has been playing very well for his club. So there’s competition. I can’t dress it up any other way. There are some very good players and it’s a battle to get in this squad.”

Rooney, he said, had been disappointed but understood the reasons. “I don’t think he expects, if he is not playing every week for his club, to be picked in this sort of situation.”

That leaves the question of whether he is still the England captain and Southgate’s verdict is that the role does not exist unless the relevant person is in the team. “We have this thing about ‘an England captain’ but really the captain is the person who is captain in the next game, isn’t it? Or the game on the next day. I always just assume you pick a team for a game and the captain of that game is the captain.”

Look forward, at players with their best days ahead of them and compliment that with Barkley/Calvert-Lewin/Davies/Lookman - sod Rooney.

He was a spurs and it didn't work out for him,and people can have different opinions.

Fair point about his time at Spurs.

I'm haven't seen enough of him playing to have a really strong opinion but his stats are impressive and the Swansea fans love him. The few times I have seen him play he's looked good though.

As for Spurs I don't know for sure the reasons why he wasn't a success there but he had a lot of competition to play in that midfield. Sometimes the style of football a team plays doesn't always suit certain players either, eg Torres at Chelsea.

Pienaar did well for us but struggled to do anything at Spurs, so I guess it can work both ways.

Some of the big teams might not be in for him because it's hard to tell if he'll make the step up and they can afford to buy players that are less of a risk. We don't have that luxury though, so we will have to take a few calculated risks on players.

Gylfi without a doubt. Rooney is on his way out and sure it would be nice for him to end his career as a blue but if given the choice I would want Gylfi who is in his prime right now. Guy has 11 assists for a struggling Swansea, imagine what he could do here with the players we have.

Gylfi without a doubt. Rooney is on his way out and sure it would be nice for him to end his career as a blue but if given the choice I would want Gylfi who is in his prime right now. Guy has 11 assists for a struggling Swansea, imagine what he could do here with the players we have.
For Rom, in particular .. was treated unfairly by spuds

Strange that people are getting snobby about buying players who aren't from CL clubs? leicester have got further than any other English club without a loads of CL players. We have an owner with more than ten bob in the bank and all of a sudden we can only consider players from Bayern or PSG? Come on lads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back