Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Rooney or Sigurðsson?

Rooney or Sigurðsson?

• Rooney

Votes: 61 12.6%
  • Sigurðsson

Votes: 260 53.5%
  • Neither

Votes: 53 10.9%
  • Both

Votes: 112 23.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Before I state my case I want to say that I think Siggurdson is a cracking player but I voted neither. Rooney is shot IMO and I worry that Siggurdson is going to be very dear and, in Koeman's system, is likely to occupy the same space as Ross. I would rather buy a younger player, Tielemans perhaps, and look at other positions.

With Koeman making noises about a top 4 finish next season, Sigurdsson wasn't good enough for Spurs so it's a NO for him from me.

Rooney, on the other hand, could be exceptionally useful in bringing in high profile players from Europe plus he still has an excellent footballing brain for the telling pass & could only help Ross develop further so it's a YES for him from me
Good point

I'd take Rooney for sentimental reasons and for the fact he knows how to win. Siggi is decent but I would question why to this day no-one has ever been in for him. As good as he might be for Swansea, why hasn't a better team gone in for him? He failed at Spurs for the reasons he did and I'm not assuming he is bad because of that. Just find it a little bit odd he never made another move up the league at any point.

The question is can Rooney rejuvenate himself to the player he was 2 years ago. I suggest his recent form of the last 12 months suggests he can't. Never thought I'd say this, but the form of Rooney in the last 12 months suggests he wouldn't even get in our team, let alone be an influential part of it. Sigurdsson on the other hand would improve our starting 11 I've no doubt, he's a talented and under rated footballer and I'm sure he'd be a great fit for us.

My god if we got Sigurrdson.

FWIW, I cannot see him leaving Swansea if they stay up. Apparently he enjoys living there, and whilst we can replicate everything he enjoys (beaches, and peace), I just can't see it.

He'd be amazing. Imagine Gylffi, Schneiderlin and Barkley as our midfield trio, the creativity would be unreal.
Send him to West Kirkby, fairly quiet and beach.

Sigurdsson is a slightly larger fish in a small pond, when he stepped up a level at a Spurs team (at that time) which is roughly at the level we are currently at, he was found wanting, couldn't get a game and was sold back. The same would happen here, at Swansea all the ball goes through him as he is the best player they have, we have better players than him here now (Barkley, Scheiderlein) who would demand more ball than him, reducing his influence if he got game time at all. The best we could hope is a raised profile in Iceland.

Rooney on the other hand has played at the top level his whole career and been a slightly larger fish in a in a Great Lake. He would improve the team, bring creativity and reduce the burden on Barkley. You also have the added benefit of him passing world class experience onto younger players such as Davies and Lookman as well as passing experience of dealing with pressure onto Barkley. Added to that is the raised global profile he brings for being Wayne Rooney, further attracting a better calibre of player which we are currently struggling to attract. It is also a signal of intent thus encouraging the likes of Lukaku and Barkley to sign new contracts.

Personally I believe Rooney has just gone stale at Utd and needs a move to find his mojo again. A return to us would give him that spark and drive he'd need to get back to Performing at a higher level, he'd also have something to prove to England with him desperate to play in the World Cup in Russia, all leading to a top player with something to prove, exactly what we need.

We may only get a year or 2 out of Rooney but I doubt we'd get half a season out of Sigurdsson before he found himself on the bench.

Therefore based on the choice between a better player, worthwhile playing time and a raise in profile it has to be Rooney.

I'd take Rooney for sentimental reasons and for the fact he knows how to win. Siggi is decent but I would question why to this day no-one has ever been in for him. As good as he might be for Swansea, why hasn't a better team gone in for him? He failed at Spurs for the reasons he did and I'm not assuming he is bad because of that. Just find it a little bit odd he never made another move up the league at any point.

Tbf schnieiderlin failed at Man u

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back