Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Behind Rom? Or deeper in MF?
Deeper. On occasion anyway.

Not that Martinez will do without his two holding midfielders now Barry has served his suspension and McCarthy comes back.

We need to mix up things in cm much more than we do.

Deeper. On occasion anyway.

Not that Martinez will do without his two holding midfielders now Barry has served his suspension and McCarthy comes back.

We need to mix up things in cm much more than we do.

The way teams sit deep against us makes me feel we don't need to use 2 defensive midfielders against all but the likes of Chelsea and City.

I'd play McCarthy and Barkley together in midfield with Naismith in the 10 and Rom ahead.

The way teams sit deep against us makes me feel we don't need to use 2 defensive midfielders against all but the likes of Chelsea and City.

I'd play McCarthy and Barkley together in midfield with Naismith in the 10 and Rom ahead.

Sounds like a good use of resources to me.

Sounds like a good use of resources to me.

Naismith may be limited, but he's playing well and helping the team win games, he's similar to Tim Cahill in that respect, I think he needs to play more often than not. Barkley running from deep would create more outlets and push defences out to combat him. In theory.

Naismith may be limited, but he's playing well and helping the team win games, he's similar to Tim Cahill in that respect, I think he needs to play more often than not. Barkley running from deep would create more outlets and push defences out to combat him. In theory.
I do think he inhibits Lukaku's game, but as long as the win comes who cares, I suppose.

Naismith and Barkley were noticeably comfortable for the first time in the same team tonight for me.

That's due to Barkley not getting crowded out and getting the ball 'at source'.

I do think he inhibits Lukaku's game, but as long as the win comes who cares, I suppose.

Naismith and Barkley were noticeably comfortable for the first time in the same team tonight for me.

That's due to Barley not getting crowded out and getting the ball 'at source'.

True, I also think teams putting 10 men behind the ball inhibit Lukaku too, he's got a poor touch and usually surrounded by 3 players. Anything to bring some players towards our midfield would be a blessing for Rom.

True, I also think teams putting 10 men behind the ball inhibit Lukaku too, he's got a poor touch and usually surrounded by 3 players. Anything to bring some players towards our midfield would be a blessing for Rom.

Yep; unless we get a proper playmaker in Lukaku will only be a regular scorer only if we play on the counter...something that isnt going to happen too often.

I really liked the forward passing and dribbling from Besic and Barkley. It makes such a difference when getting the ball into feet to Naismith/Mirallas/McGeady from those passes rather than trying to manoeuvre it to the same position via the wide players.

It opens up the pitch and gives Baines and Coleman so much more room. The problem with Barry and McCarthy is that they have become too safe and teams just keep pushing us wide.

I definitely think this game has given Martinez a selection headache as it was the first time all season we looked like we where playing as a team with a shape.

I liked him today in this role, but we miss the passing of McCarthy and Barry. Our passing is not as crisp without those two in there. I agree we can mix things up depending on the opposition though. This would be a good formation against teams that try and and pack the midfield against us as Barkley can get more touches and make them move creating space for others, but against teams with a strong counter attack, we might get opened up.

Besic and Barkley were both great today though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back