Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
he is in no way overhyped, he has more potential than any english player since rooney, just that people seem to think every player coming through should be an immediate consistant performer like rooney, he was the exception, ronaldo, zidane, ballack, robben, pirlo, nedved and pretty much 99% of the world class talent that has played the game didn't become consistant world class performers till their mid 20's, thats the game. Bigger problem is he is being handled dreadfully right now, and his confidence is draining and the team is playing tosh, we had a glimpse against QPR, then roberto played it 'safe' again with his faves

The minute he put him centrally when we were 2.1 down away at Spurs, he bossed the game. Dictated play. Was hounded by 3 spurs players constantly.

He's got the goods. Just needs to be let loose.

The minute he put him centrally when we were 2.1 down away at Spurs, he bossed the game. Dictated play. Was hounded by 3 spurs players constantly.

He's got the goods. Just needs to be let loose.
couldn't agree more mate, I just don't see the big risk, just any mistake he makes in the center gets highlighted a billion times more than an old pro, or a 'runner' like henderson, he's a better player than those playing in his position, so play him there

Agreed.

I'm a fan of Barkley but I don't really buy the potential 'world class' tag. People seem to forget how good actual world class players usually are at 21.
I think the world class tag get banded around to much
But I disagree that most world class players are world class at 21
I think it's more to do with consistency
Three of the best English prem midfielders talked about are lampard scholes and Gerrard
Must admit I wasn't watching these guys week in week out in their early days
But remember seeing lampard at West Ham and thinking what was all the fuse about

Even gerrard think he scored about 10goals in his 1st 100 games for Liverpool
People talk about Gerard's passing
But last season even with Sturridge Suarez & Stirling infringed of him
He didn't get loads of assists from open play most came from set pieces

And scholes, I think he was 22 when he came on in the cup final against us in 95
Barkley has probably only started the equivalent of probably one full prem season

Think people on here need to give the lad a break

If in 2 yrs and when he has over 100 prem starts under his belt and maybe 50 in the same position
Then fair enough if he's still showing inconsistencies to his game

Three of the best English prem midfielders talked about are lampard scholes and Gerrard
But remember seeing lampard at West Ham and thinking what was all the fuse about

And scholes, I think he was 22 when he came on in the cup final against us in 95
Barkley has probably only started the equivalent of probably one full prem season

If in 2 yrs and when he has over 100 prem starts under his belt and maybe 50 in the same position
100% right, some utter nonsense talked on here about Ross, some perspective on how long it takes players to be consistent

Add Bale to that aswell.

Oh and remember how poor suarez was in his first season in England? And Drogba?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he should be the finished article by now, but I think he should be offering a lot more than he is.

Reading what you said about Lampard, Gerrard and Scholes, I suppose it could be an English thing. Eriksen at Spurs is only a year older and superb whenever I see him play, and Fabregas was incredible at 16.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he should be the finished article by now, but I think he should be offering a lot more than he is.

Reading what you said about Lampard, Gerrard and Scholes, I suppose it could be an English thing. Eriksen at Spurs is only a year older and superb whenever I see him play, and Fabregas was incredible at 16.
Yes maybe
I do agree about fabregas
I think eriksen was in and out last year when I saw him
But I think he has been a lot more consistent this year

minus a triple leg break as well
Just looked at gazza on wiki
He became a regular at Newcastle at 18 an over the next 5 yrs including 2 at Spurs
It looks like he hardly missed a game
And all in the top flight
He went to the 1990 world cup at 23 with roughly 180 games and 39 goals
So I think Barkley needs a few more years and hopefully a regular position in the team
Before he can be judged fully

Well put Stephen. It's not just his age people forget it's the fact he's barely played any football due to injuries. He needs games, at least another two seasons without any major injuries before we will really know how he will turn out. Playing him on the left doesn't work, Martinez has to make the decision to either bench him or play him in his position.

Personally I don't think he should be played in cm, even when he plays well he makes mistakes because of his inexperience. Play him in am and give him a run of games there. It means benching naismith but if Barkley is going to get anywhere near what he could be he needs games.

For comparisons sake. Besic is seen as one for the future and has played 118 games since turning pro. Compare that to Barkley who has played 85 and is a year younger yet people expect him to be the finished article. It's daft.

Nobody expects Barkley to be the finished article. When he consistently misplaces 5 yard passes though, and has been poor to awful in 90% of his games this season, that for me is a worry.

By no means a certainty he'll end up a top player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back