Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still think he was playing to team orders last night. Puts him in a no-win situation really - if he tries to take players on (as he has done in every other game this season) the crowd get on his back; if he just makes simple passes the crowd gets on his back.
Think Martinez will have to bow to the pressure from the crowd, but this is not a solution either.
I think people get on his back because he generally goes past a bunch of players, sideways, ultimately to pass the ball backwards, in the end.

Obviously if any instructions are his way, maybe Martinez trying to protect him from our fans, then ok I see what he was doing - but for me, that is hiding? He doesn't need to do that we are all blue. He just needs to get it right!

RB was by far the worst player on the pitch for us last night apart from KM - he looks half speed and has no width to pass any ball to - needs resting but who have we got to put in there?

I think people get on his back because he generally goes past a bunch of players, sideways, ultimately to pass the ball backwards, in the end.

Obviously if any instructions are his way, maybe Martinez trying to protect him from our fans, then ok I see what he was doing - but for me, that is hiding? He doesn't need to do that we are all blue. He just needs to get it right!

Really will have to go and do some work now, but thanks for the exchange of views - we'll probably never agree on Barkley!

Really will have to go and do some work now, but thanks for the exchange of views - we'll probably never agree on Barkley!
Trust me brother I want him to become a legend, but i'm also known to like a good whinge haha. his performances of late have left me in the latter!

Good chat :)

Still think he was playing to team orders last night. Puts him in a no-win situation really - if he tries to take players on (as he has done in every other game this season) the crowd get on his back; if he just makes simple passes the crowd gets on his back.
Think Martinez will have to bow to the pressure from the crowd, but this is not a solution either.

Against a team set up the Pulis way, the way forward is to take them on and play through them, because at the very least you will earn a lot of free kicks. The way to play into their hands, and what they want you to do, is to fanny around making little 2 and 3 yard passes to each other all night, as if you haven't a clue what to do. Last night was ideal for Barkley to use the one aspect of his game that so far is genuine, and not hype...that is his ability to run at defenders at pace caussing them to back off or give away a free kick. He didn't do this at all. I don't think he's got a football brain, because I've never seen him actually use any 'flair'. He is a long way from even lacing Rooneys boots...even when Rooney is not at his best, his team contribution is immense and he is always a danger. Most Prem defences could play against Ross Barkley all day, only being stretched when he ran at them. This 'not in the right position' was actually more applicable to Bily than it ever will be to Ross..a player hyped to his level of ability should be adaptable, at least.

Was absolutely fuming at him last night admittedly, thought he had the worst game of his career so far and was utterly useless and sh*thouse for looking to get rid of the ball ASAP and never looking to go forward.

Now I've calmed down (I think we all have) I realise what the issues are. The lad is so shot of confidence that it's painful to watch and you feel a bit sorry for him because it's not really been his fault. He had a nightmare getting an awkward injury on the eve of the season and has been horrifically mis-used since he came back. Playing out on the wing where he can't drive at defenders and unleash shots, he's been badly stifled. He hasn't scored any goals, he hasn't got many assists, fans have got on his back for not coming close to matching last year's performances and as a result of all this his head has dropped and he looks like someone who doesn't even enjoy playing. Reminding me so much of Naismith during his first season.

The buck stops with Martinez, he has mis-used and mis-managed Ross since he came back and has allowed all of this to happen with his moronic tactics and stubborn ways. If I was Ross I'd march into his office and demand he stop mis-using me, otherwise I'm off. And would you honestly blame him? He's a young lad with a lot of talent and obviously a lot of ambition, would you sit back and accept playing for an awful team that's sliding downwards and a manager who is hurting your game? I know I wouldn't, Evertonian or not.

Was absolutely fuming at him last night admittedly, thought he had the worst game of his career so far and was utterly useless and sh*thouse for looking to get rid of the ball ASAP and never looking to go forward.

Now I've calmed down (I think we all have) I realise what the issues are. The lad is so shot of confidence that it's painful to watch and you feel a bit sorry for him because it's not really been his fault. He had a nightmare getting an awkward injury on the eve of the season and has been horrifically mis-used since he came back. Playing out on the wing where he can't drive at defenders and unleash shots, he's been badly stifled. He hasn't scored any goals, he hasn't got many assists, fans have got on his back for not coming close to matching last year's performances and as a result of all this his head has dropped and he looks like someone who doesn't even enjoy playing. Reminding me so much of Naismith during his first season.

The buck stops with Martinez, he has mis-used and mis-managed Ross since he came back and has allowed all of this to happen with his moronic tactics and stubborn ways. If I was Ross I'd march into his office and demand he stop mis-using me, otherwise I'm off. And would you honestly blame him? He's a young lad with a lot of talent and obviously a lot of ambition, would you sit back and accept playing for an awful team that's sliding downwards and a manager who is hurting your game? I know I wouldn't, Evertonian or not.

Don't agree. Playing on the wing doesn't mean he cant drive forward and get his shot off. There are many examples of players who can do this.(Lukaku for one..notably against Arsenal last year, and even McGeady. I just don't think Ross is basically, intelligent enough as a footballer to see openings.

Don't agree. Playing on the wing doesn't mean he cant drive forward and get his shot off. There are many examples of players who can do this.(Lukaku for one..notably against Arsenal last year, and even McGeady. I just don't think Ross is basically, intelligent enough as a footballer to see openings.

That's true but the fact is as you said, he's too young and inexperienced to be constantly pushed out there and expected to do well. Martinez has repeatedly put him in the line of fire and it's not fair on the lad, nobody in the stands wants him playing out there and nobody expected him to play out there at the start of the season. Why is Martinez seemingly hell-bent on him and Naismith interchanging during games between the middle and the wing? All it's doing it wrecking the team's balance and causing both players to be less effective. It has to stop.

That's true but the fact is as you said, he's too young and inexperienced to be constantly pushed out there and expected to do well. Martinez has repeatedly put him in the line of fire and it's not fair on the lad, nobody in the stands wants him playing out there and nobody expected him to play out there at the start of the season. Why is Martinez seemingly hell-bent on him and Naismith interchanging during games between the middle and the wing? All it's doing it wrecking the team's balance and causing both players to be less effective. It has to stop.

Playing RB out wide is protecting him to an extent, and quite frankly, if it were a choice between Naismith and Barkley at present, Barkley would not get much game time at all.THis 'young and inexperienced' was not a quote from me....players a lot younger or a similar age to Barkley have made a consistent impact on the Prem, which is one of the hardest leagues in the world. Rooney, and whether its popular here are not, Sterling. And others. Harry Kane is 21 for example. I currently feel, and hope I'm wrong, that Barkleys career will be more Rodwell than Rooney.

As said his confidence is shot like pretty much most of our players but its inexcusable for him to bottle challenges, put next to no effort in when not in possession. Lazy

He needs benching his confidence is shot.
short and to the point. There isn't anyone who watches /supports/ or manages football who can't see this lad is completely devoid of confidence. he did not attempt to take 1 player on last night. he needs some kind of 1 to 1 sessions and some kind of sports phycology sessions to get his no fear attitude back. I would worry about our manager if he picks him in our next game

Some of the stuff on here is cracking me up. Same as at the game aswell - people saying ‘he should run more’ & ‘he’s lazy’ & ‘he’s pulling out of tackles’. Let’s just get a team of Lee Cattermole’s in ey? Oh and Andy Johnson is on a free aswell if we want someone to chase the channels if we can’t get Stracqualursi back on loan. The younger the lad is aswell the more stick he gets. Barkley yesterday got booed by our fantastic fans for not going up for a header, then not going in for a tackle, and then it went to keeping the ball but passing the ball sideways, trying to take someone on, and eventually just got booed for even receiving a pass. Superb lads; well done. Mirallas probably never jumped for a header in his career, nothing gets said. Amount of times I saw Heitinga not go in for a 50/50, as a centre half aswell, but that’s ok as long as you throw a shoulder in on Ashley cole and fist pump the gwladys street its sound. But no you’s go and boo Barkley instead, then boo him every touch. That’ll work wonders that. Keep Goodison the fortress that it has become, thanks to you’s, for the away teams. ;)

Against a team set up the Pulis way, the way forward is to take them on and play through them, because at the very least you will earn a lot of free kicks. The way to play into their hands, and what they want you to do, is to fanny around making little 2 and 3 yard passes to each other all night, as if you haven't a clue what to do. Last night was ideal for Barkley to use the one aspect of his game that so far is genuine, and not hype...that is his ability to run at defenders at pace caussing them to back off or give away a free kick. He didn't do this at all. I don't think he's got a football brain, because I've never seen him actually use any 'flair'. He is a long way from even lacing Rooneys boots...even when Rooney is not at his best, his team contribution is immense and he is always a danger. Most Prem defences could play against Ross Barkley all day, only being stretched when he ran at them. This 'not in the right position' was actually more applicable to Bily than it ever will be to Ross..a player hyped to his level of ability should be adaptable, at least.

Barkley has the ability, no doubt about that. The difference between him and the likes of Rooney is that to Rooney, what to do comes natural, whereas Ross makes wrong choices constantly. Whether this can be coached out of him is up for question...but in a struggling team, with a baying Goodison crowd, this is not the environment to try it. I'd leave him out until the ship settles and results pick up(hopefully!)

Barkley just isn't as good as people thought. It's as simple as that tbh. People bought in to the Martinez hype about him, and both he and they are starting to look a bit foolish.

I think even Hodgson only has him in the squad because of the hype, you can tell he doesn't really trust him. Moyes obviously didn't see it either.

If, (and it's a massive 'IF' IMO) he is going to be a top player then he really needs to knuckle down on and off the pitch and work hard on his game. Massive improvements are required in almost every aspect of his football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back