Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Le Tissier didn't run about, harrying the opposition. He got slated for it in some quarters, but others just marvelled at the magic he conjured up.

Will Barkley be the next enigmatic player of Le Tissier's ilk?

And ( IF ) Le Tissier did run about he probably would have played for United all of his career rather than Southampton, won nothing in his career

I would absolutely love it if that was the case but unfortunately for Moyes to have one player like that he needs three Phil Neville's, is that too high a price to pay?

Wayne Rooney was a freak when he came through but for me he hasn't become the player I thought he could have been. I think it would help Barkley if every www.coach (myself included) stopped judging him and comparing him with, Rooney, Gerard, Fabregas, Silva or anyone else and we just let the lad play football. It's not like he hasn't got time on his side.

The reason I was using the names like Silva and Modric is because he has a lot of similarities as those but people we're asking why he's not broke through yet if he's so good, baring in mind even James Vaughan had played more for the first team at the same age, it's because his commitment to work hard and press the ball is completely none existsnt

The reason I was using the names like Silva and Modric is because he has a lot of similarities as those but people we're asking why he's not broke through yet if he's so good, baring in mind even James Vaughan had played more for the first team at the same age, it's because his commitment to work hard and press the ball is completely none existsnt

Nothing to do with a double leg break?
I know Vaughan suffered with injuries but I don't remember such a serious one when he was 16/17. I may be wrong though. Personally I don't think its a good idea comparing him with anyone, instead of being "the new" let him be the first.
As far as the commitment and work rate I haven't seen enough of him to form an opinion so I'll concede to yours.

Whether he did or not is besides the point, the position Ross plays you need to have work rate or he'll find himself playing for Blackpool or someone of that calibre

Well no not really, your point was that if Le Tissier ran more he'd of played for United, when thats not actually the reason why he didn't play for United.

You need a good mix to make a team, you can have some hard working versatile players and you can have some lazy flair players.

As long as you don;t have a team full of one or the other you can get away with it, however Everton place more importance on workrate and while that gives you a good base it only gets you so far. We're not going to go any further as a team by dropping skillful players like Barkley becuase they might not work as hard as other players.

Of course you don;t want players who stand on the spot when they lose the ball but i can't believe he's that bad, and any time he might give possession away due to poor workrate is surely balanced out by the times he creates stuff with his skill.

And its quite frankly laughable that someone like Barkley doesn't get played because he gives the ball away and his workrate isn't good enough given the players we have who give the ball away more and can't be arsed running after balls 2 metres away that get played constantly.

Ross Barkley could stop developing tommorow and still be one of our best players. There's no chance of him playing anywhere but the top Leagues in Europe, I say that with complete confidence. People like him simply don't exsist in the lower Leagues. High workrate or not, when you can manipulate the ball aswell as he can, the only way is up.

Not every top playmaker is a hardworking, defensive aware player, that's a bit of a myth to be honest, we'd all love to replicate what Spain do with and without the ball but it's not the norm. Players like Zidane and Kaka wouldn't fit into there typical pressing game yet where undoubtably outstanding players capable of playing for successful clubs. Every player has a style and Ross, for me, is very much a no10 who plays at his own pace. He comes alive on the ball, is a potential match winner, but also involves himself and takes responsbility, which is the most important thing. If he was one of those playmakers who drifted in and out of the game then he might he problems but he's always at the heart of the action. Moving, passing, dribbling, shooting - there's a hell of a lot there that balances out his lack of defensive qualities.

All the players being mentioned are small, agile and fairly quick and tenacious over those first few yards, that isn't Barkley, and it doesn't need to be either. I won't even criticise Moyes, he'll be a little annoying and cautious with him, but Barkley will come through, and when he does, we'll be in for a treat. Until he's sold that is...

Thought he done well initially when he came on today. Xavi's called it right on that he'll need to up his work level, I think that's been labelled at him in the past couple of reserve matches. He's prone to poor decision making in terms of passing but that's concentration/experience.

He's got the talent, he's fantastic footballer and he's a blue. Hope he makes it like he should. Big season for him.

Well no not really, your point was that if Le Tissier ran more he'd of played for United, when thats not actually the reason why he didn't play for United.

You need a good mix to make a team, you can have some hard working versatile players and you can have some lazy flair players.

As long as you don;t have a team full of one or the other you can get away with it, however Everton place more importance on workrate and while that gives you a good base it only gets you so far. We're not going to go any further as a team by dropping skillful players like Barkley becuase they might not work as hard as other players.

Of course you don;t want players who stand on the spot when they lose the ball but i can't believe he's that bad, and any time he might give possession away due to poor workrate is surely balanced out by the times he creates stuff with his skill.

And its quite frankly laughable that someone like Barkley doesn't get played because he gives the ball away and his workrate isn't good enough given the players we have who give the ball away more and can't be arsed running after balls 2 metres away that get played constantly.

No one wants to watch skill and flare in our side more than me believe me, if you read my previous posts I pointed out all the great flare players have good engines even dare I say it Paul Gascoine who many claimed was overweight had a great up and down engine, Ross Barkley is liable to cost you goals in the team, he completely switches off, if you ain't seen much of him you'll soon realise where I'm coming from, BTW I want him to be playing more and given a chance but my first post says if you go back and read it ...... " It's easy to see why he's not playing first team"

Drastically overrated. Will be spear heading Tranmeres league two promotion campaign with Baxter + Wallace in a few years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back