Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barkley: The Next Rodwell
munch

That's where I get a cob on.

Just because they don't run through brick walls they'll probably not be "good" enough for us.

Technical ability gets thrown out the window if you can't chase everything down.

Bah.

He won't be getting minutes at the start of the season anyway based on his pre season away from the 1st team

I've been watching Ross for about 2 years now since I was told all about him, England Und 17,19's and Everton youth and reserves, and I've commented on him a lot on here too, over the last year it's so easy to see why he's not broke into the first team, the kid has so much talent he really does, like Pienaar says he's not a typical English player because he oozes class and flare like a Spaniard, plays with his brain rather than just aggression and athleticism, BUT and it's a big but he has a real big flaw in his game which could totally halt is career, his work rate is very poor especially when the other team's got the ball, he switches off big time and is liable to cost you goals, now i'am not saying here we want him defending but all good midfield players work hard ( like Pienaar) and none more so than the Spanish, when they lose possession we've all seen them hunting in packs to win the ball back, they all graft for each other, No matter who you are, there's no point in having the ability in the first place if you don't have the heart and will to win, Ross wants to be very careful otherwise could find himself playing in the lower league's, which would be such a shame because if HE wants he could be as good as there is in the country, but it's up to him, no one else

Great Post, ive not seen much of him and hear constantly he should be on the pitch, nice to read from a poster who has watched him over a long period. do you think he is ready for the 1st team this year???

Great Post, ive not seen much of him and hear constantly he should be on the pitch, nice to read from a poster who has watched him over a long period. do you think he is ready for the 1st team this year???

I really hope so mate because he's my type of player, I'd rather watch a player of his quality to say that of a Jack Rodwell who I feel is a typical modern day English player based on size and athleticism, but like I say it's really down to the kid himself and how dedicated he can become to improve his engine on the pitch, I hope people don't mistake me for thinking I mean tough tackling and aggression because the likes of Luca Modric doesn't have an ounce of that, but what he does have in abundance is the will to not stop running and wanting the ball all the time, not just when he feels like getting involved, I say Modric because offensively Ross has everything in the locker he has, he really is that gifted, keep you're fingers crossed the penny drops with him sooner rather than later

I've been watching Ross for about 2 years now since I was told all about him, England Und 17,19's and Everton youth and reserves, and I've commented on him a lot on here too, over the last year it's so easy to see why he's not broke into the first team, the kid has so much talent he really does, like Pienaar says he's not a typical English player because he oozes class and flare like a Spaniard, plays with his brain rather than just aggression and athleticism, BUT and it's a big but he has a real big flaw in his game which could totally halt is career, his work rate is very poor especially when the other team's got the ball, he switches off big time and is liable to cost you goals, now i'am not saying here we want him defending but all good midfield players work hard ( like Pienaar) and none more so than the Spanish, when they lose possession we've all seen them hunting in packs to win the ball back, they all graft for each other, No matter who you are, there's no point in having the ability in the first place if you don't have the heart and will to win, Ross wants to be very careful otherwise could find himself playing in the lower league's, which would be such a shame because if HE wants he could be as good as there is in the country, but it's up to him, no one else

I've never watched him that closely, he's rarely been on the pitch long enough but it's obvious to see he's naturally talented. When you say his work rate is poor, how bad are we talking?
If it's just a matter of fitness it can be worked on, but if it's attitude then he may have future problems with Moyes.

I've never watched him that closely, he's rarely been on the pitch long enough but it's obvious to see he's naturally talented. When you say his work rate is poor, how bad are we talking?
If it's just a matter of fitness it can be worked on, but if it's attitude then he may have future problems with Moyes.

Nothing wrong with Barkleys fitness levels, he's in top condition and can easily lasy 90mins.

Lets just say he isn't as willing to close down, track back and get stuck in as he should be. There's nothing to be alarmed about, but it's the reason why he can't play centre mid for Everton in the Premier League at the moment, he's not disciplined enough and teams will play through him.

He'll get there in the end, another season in the U21s awaits for young Ross though.

Nothing wrong with Barkleys fitness levels, he's in top condition and can easily lasy 90mins.

Lets just say he isn't as willing to close down, track back and get stuck in as he should be. There's nothing to be alarmed about, but it's the reason why he can't play centre mid for Everton in the Premier League at the moment, he's not disciplined enough and teams will play through him.

He'll get there in the end, another season in the U21s awaits for young Ross though.

That's pretty much it apart from the "getting stuck in" bit, I'm not necessarily looking for that, neither will Moyes, he's not that type of player, David Silva doesn't get stuck in but he's like a wee Rolex watch, the whole time he's on the pitch he doesn't stop running, he changes speed but doesn't stop no matter if in or out of possession of the ball, Ross needs to watch how people like this work otherwise he'll never reach his huge potential

That's pretty much it apart from the "getting stuck in" bit, I'm not necessarilylooking for that, neither will Moyes, he's not that type of player, David Silva doesn't get stuck in but he's like a wee Rolex watch, the whole time he's on the pitch he doesn't stop running, he changes speed but doesn't stop no matter if in or out of possession of the ball, Ross needs to watch how people like this work otherwise he'll never reach his huge potential

Thanks for the info. I'm not part of group calling for him to be starting regular games just yet, I'm sure we'll see more of him this season because he could be the real deal but as you both say, the rest is up to him.
If he works hard his chance will come, I'm still happy with the way Moyes is handling him for the time being and I'll hold judgement before I write the lad off.

Cheers Xavi, I like many of us couldn't quite put our finger on what was stopping him excelling. Playing him out wide or behind the striker would solve the problem to a degree, but surely if he paired up with Pienaar for a bit in training he'd learn the value of work rate.

Cheers Xavi, I like many of us couldn't quite put our finger on what was stopping him excelling. Playing him out wide or behind the striker would solve the problem to a degree, but surely if he paired up with Pienaar for a bit in training he'd learn the value of work rate.

Yeah to a degree like you say, but in the premier league nowadays and especially at a club like ours we can't afford any passengers, He really needs to watch and learn of the top players such as Modric, Silva, Xavi, and even Pienaar who works his plumbs off, I've still got every confidence the penny will drop soon, it will have too

There is a squad of about twenty first team players.It isn't possible to give them all substantial game time against Blackpool and for this reason some of the younger players will get game time with the reserves.I expect that Barkley will be part of the squad against Blackpool and may or may not get some time on the pitch.
At the moment it is all about getting fit and making sure that every player gets a reasonable amount of game time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back