Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
I meant reaching a peak value (relative to the market) - not necessarily his peak ability. He may well improve but I'm not very confident. He's played 100 games yet his decision making if anything is poorer now than when he first burst on to the scene. He's just too selfish in my book.

He gets talked up in our media because he's young and English. I don't follow England but haven't their games recently been against absolute dross?

Would Chelsea swap Oscar for Barkley? I'd take that deal in a heartbeat. Likewise Mata from United?

Funny, I'd say the exact opposite. His decision making is clearly a weak part of his game at times but I think he's been slowly improving this season. Comparing him to two of the best playmakers in the league is a little unfair, especially considering they're very different in style to Barkley.

I meant reaching a peak value (relative to the market) - not necessarily his peak ability. He may well improve but I'm not very confident. He's played 100 games yet his decision making if anything is poorer now than when he first burst on to the scene. He's just too selfish in my book.

He gets talked up in our media because he's young and English. I don't follow England but haven't their games recently been against absolute dross?

Would Chelsea swap Oscar for Barkley? I'd take that deal in a heartbeat. Likewise Mata from United?
If you don't think his decision making has improved, I don't think you've been paying attention. He looks a world apart from the player of last year and the season before. He's really starting to look like a mature, reliable performer rather than someone who just occasionally does something special. I've been hugely impressed with his performances this year. Obviously he's still got work to do, but even if he never gets any better than he is currently, he's likely to get 100 England caps. Just think about that for a minute.

Oh and would Chelsea swap him for Oscar? Too right they would.

I don't understand the hatred towards Barkley sometimes. He's the only one in our current midfield that's trying anything different right now, teams are surrounding him three-a-man and it's allowed for a lot of space for the likes of McCarthy and Geri.

I'm not one to blindly support a player too, but Ross Barkley is still as good now as he has ever been.

That is a baffling statement and clearly isn't true.

I've noticed that our fans who have a go at Barkley just get on his case at any moment. For example if he starts playing those little one twos to build up his confidence, they're not happy. They want him to go on a run. If he goes on a run and has a shot and it gets blocked, they don't like that either.

He can't win with a section of our fanbase.

But I think you're comparing apples and oranges, in truth.

Barkley isn't a playmaker, but at the moment he is filling that role for us and is doing it adequately. Oscar and Mata are both your typical No.10 types, who are going to slip in little passes to the forwards. Barkley is, for me, a traiditional No.8 - a box-to-box player. He's showing that with his willingness to drop deeper and dictate our play, but he still offers a lot when playing nearer goal - he's just not the same type of player that Oscar or Mata are.

But I think you're comparing apples and oranges, in truth.

Barkley isn't a playmaker, but at the moment he is filling that role for us and is doing it adequately. Oscar and Mata are both your typical No.10 types, who are going to slip in little passes to the forwards. Barkley is, for me, a traiditional No.8 - a box-to-box player. He's showing that with his willingness to drop deeper and dictate our play, but he still offers a lot when playing nearer goal - he's just not the same type of player that Oscar or Mata are.
Great point mate
I'm pretty sure he played the number 8 role at youth level was never really a number 10
And the likes of mata Oscar silva coutinho
They all probably played in the 10role at a young age to learn the position as in a lot of countries it always been an important position on the pitch

That position is only really getting noticed now in the English game at youth level

Makes me laugh how Ross geri & Rom get a lot of stick off some fans
Would they rather go back to seeing the likes of kilbane, McFadden and guyue on the wing
Anichebe & beattie upfront
Or Neville and heitinga in the midfield

Great point mate
I'm pretty sure he played the number 8 role at youth level was never really a number 10
And the likes of mata Oscar silva coutinho
They all probably played in the 10role at a young age to learn the position as in a lot of countries it always been an important position on the pitch

That position is only really getting noticed now in the English game at youth level

Makes me laugh how Ross geri & Rom get a lot of stick off some fans
Would they rather go back to seeing the likes of kilbane, McFadden and guyue on the wing
Anichebe & beattie upfront
Or Neville and heitinga in the midfield

Yeh, Barkley's basically having to learn to play as a No.10 and I think we're finally seeing him really grow into the role.

I still think he'll drop deeper eventually, but there's no need for it just yet. And this isn't meant as a way to slag Moyes off at all, but I think if RM had had been in charge when he saw Barkley coming through, he may have been developed as a No.10 from a younger age.

As I said, not slating Moyes, but it'd have been interesting if he had been developed to suit a specific playmaker role.

I don't understand the hatred towards Barkley sometimes. He's the only one in our current midfield that's trying anything different right now, teams are surrounding him three-a-man and it's allowed for a lot of space for the likes of McCarthy and Geri.

I'm not one to blindly support a player too, but Ross Barkley is still as good now as he has ever been.

I don't hate Barkley at all. He plays for my team and I want him to do well. I'd love to be proved wrong and see him really develop his final ball and all-round decision making. There's nothing about the kid's personality that I like but that's not the point. There's been plenty of players I've not identified with from their interviews etc but still loved them on the pitch.

Yeh, Barkley's basically having to learn to play as a No.10 and I think we're finally seeing him really grow into the role.

I still think he'll drop deeper eventually, but there's no need for it just yet. And this isn't meant as a way to [Poor language removed] Moyes off at all, but I think if RM had had been in charge when he saw Barkley coming through, he may have been developed as a No.10 from a younger age.

As I said, not slating Moyes, but it'd have been interesting if he had been developed to suit a specific playmaker role.
This is one of the reason I'm still behind Martinez
Though he frustrates me with picking his favourites and some of his interviews when we have been poor
I think Moyes had his favourites and every manager does

I think Martinez will be really good for some of the great young talent we have coming through

This is one of the reason I'm still behind Martinez
Though he frustrates me with picking his favourites and some of his interviews when we have been poor
I think Moyes had his favourites and every manager does

I think Martinez will be really good for some of the great young talent we have coming through

And one of those f'favourites' - Barry - has proved why he should still be in the team. When he plays well, we win.

I don't hate Barkley at all. He plays for my team and I want him to do well. I'd love to be proved wrong and see him really develop his final ball and all-round decision making. There's nothing about the kid's personality that I like but that's not the point. There's been plenty of players I've not identified with from their interviews etc but still loved them on the pitch.

What is it about his personality that you don't like?

Charlie sweet you're really starting to sound like a @SteKelly / @StephenGOT multi.

Barkley was great yesterday, without really having a truly world class moment, and isn't that what we actually want? He's not going to hit a 40 yard screamer or run the ball 70 yards and score every week, so when he doesn't I'd rather he played like he did on Sunday than disappear in games.
This is actually a really great point to me. I didn't think Barkley was that great Sunday...but that was pretty much down to how amazing he's been the rest of the season. He was tidy with the ball, he moved play around and he had good vision. So i guess, looking back, its more down to my expectations of him just ruining every opposition player than it is of him having an actual good game.

Wish rep was still around, I'd give you some here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back