Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Koeman is absolutely 100% correct here...

“I had a short meeting with Bill (Kenwright) last Tuesday evening, and we spoke about the situation with Ross,” said the Everton boss.

“I think it’s his responsibility and the responsibility also of his agent to say yes or no because that’s what the club needs to know because we can’t wait until the last moment, it’s not good for the player and it’s not good for the club.

“The manager will continue even without Ross. I need to talk more with the chairman and the board of the club and I will do that after the weekend.

“We have offered him a contract, they had several meetings about a new contract and this is contract, we don’t go and go and go.

“This is what he needs to sign if he wants to stay.

“He is working well, he is training well, he is doing his best but maybe the time he still needs to give the club the right answer is in my opinion a long time and that maybe is about that he has doubts about to stay, I don’t know.

“I don’t like to make this a big issue, but we need – it’s more than like – we need to know before the end of the season.

“I’ve mentioned in the last two weeks that we need to improve in our offensive part, and that’s the main thing for the team – to have more productivity in the team,” he said.

“We have one striker who has scored 24 goals, and after that defenders and Ross on three or four goals. We need more players from midfield offensively to give us that productivity and that’s what we try to find.

“If Ross stays yes or no, we will still scout in that position.”

Anybody saying otherwise is being ridiculous.

He's handled this well, just as he did earlier in the season when Ross was 'dropped'.

Ross isn't really to blame, but now the time has come that a decision has to be made and there's nothing wrong with applying that pressure.

I like most of what Koeman does but he's not perfect and I do think he and the club could learn from this saga. Firstly, not offering him a contract last summer, when he was probably at a low ebb and surely would have signed, was a mistake. Even in January Koeman was happy to leave the contract offer until later in the year. Now we are in situation where the club is in a weak position. Secondly, I think the public criticism was a bit OTT earlier in the season, especially when everyone knows he is somewhat sensitive character. Once, to get a reaction is fine but repeatedly was too much and Ross maybe thinks Koeman has never been that keen on him.

That said I think koeman has improved him as an all round player, improved his fitness levels and Ross should think really hard whether moving elsewhere, he will continue to develop a career which has stalled on several occasions.

Assuming we have to sell to buy?

We will be selling to buy.

But we'll be selling players the manager doesn't want (by and large) to get ones he does...

i.e. - McCarthy - even though Koeman probably would like to keep him - would fetch £15-20m.

Cleverley already out for 8m. Niasse could go for 10m should Hull stay up. Kone's 50k wages off the bill. McGeady likewise. Deulofeu for 10m.

Looking at 40m alone there.

I think Koeman has made it clear that there will be no pandering to ego's here.The contract is on the table take it or leave it.Everton has a bright future and we all want Ross to be a part of that.I would be disappointed if Ross is allowing any personal issues he has with Koeman preventing him from signing the contract.If Ross isn't enthusiastic about Everton's future and doesn't want to be a part of that.Then we drive on without him.I don't like saying that but it's how i feel.Koeman is a clinical sort of man.I think that can be off putting to some but Ross should think of Everton.Put his issues with Koeman aside and sign the contract.

Don't think Ross has any issues with Koeman mate. Think he may have just had his head turned.

I'll be gutted if we lose Barkley after losing Stones, two of the most enjoyable things about watching us for years IMO.

I'll be gutted doubly if him leaving is mostly down to Koeman who then ends up leaving us in a year or two.

But what gives you this impression (not having a go at you btw mate) or is there any inclination this is the case?

He's improved a lot this year. Still has flaws but his game (all-round) has gone up a level under Koeman.

Koeman just wants the lad to be square with the club. There's nothing wrong with that.

Fine, if he wants to go, don't sign the deal - but let the club know now so we can address that early in the window.

If he wants to stay, brilliant. Sign the deal and we know.

It's got to the point now where Barkley needs to make that decision. We can't be in limbo with one of our best players heading into the off season. Not in the situation which Ross is in where he only has a year left.

With Rom, it's different. He's said he won't sign a new deal, and we've put our valuation on him. That's it - everybody knows where they are at.

You get the feeling that with Ross, all parties are in limbo. The club want to keep him and have offered a deal. Ross now needs to decide what he's going to do.

Really, stones being a tit at the back while telling the fans to calm down because he being an idiot with the ball. Barkley always making the wrong decision, English players are way over rated.

Lukaku is the one I will be gutted over

I like good technique in a footballer. We have had many many average to good to very good players down the years during this 20 year plus run of no trophies but we haven't had many with the talent on the ball Stones and Barkley sometimes showed/show and hardly any showing it at such a young age. Maybe I just got over excited about it after watching years of safety first percentage football.

I enjoyed that Stones moment. I hope there is always room in football for stuff like that.

Just my preferences.

But what gives you this impression (not having a go at you btw mate) or is there any inclination this is the case?

He's improved a lot this year. Still has flaws but his game (all-round) has gone up a level under Koeman.

Koeman just wants the lad to be square with the club. There's nothing wrong with that.

Fine, if he wants to go, don't sign the deal - but let the club know now so we can address that early in the window.

If he wants to stay, brilliant. Sign the deal and we know.

It's got to the point now where Barkley needs to make that decision. We can't be in limbo with one of our best players heading into the off season. Not in the situation which Ross is in where he only has a year left.

With Rom, it's different. He's said he won't sign a new deal, and we've put our valuation on him. That's it - everybody knows where they are at.

You get the feeling that with Ross, all parties are in limbo. The club want to keep him and have offered a deal. Ross now needs to decide what he's going to do.

I don't have that impression...I just said If. I'm open to it all being Ross's fault if it turns out that way but seeing as most of the forum seems to be banging that drum without knowing, I'm just proposing the opposite scenario.

It was a scenario I was concerned about at the start of the season for sure, that Koeman wouldn't want him, but as you say he seemed to be working hard on him to noticeable benefit so I was happy that wouldn't be the case.

Now I've no bloody clue, and just want it to be overrrrr

I don't have that impression...I just said If. I'm open to it all being Ross's fault if it turns out that way but seeing as most of the forum seems to be banging that drum without knowing, I'm just proposing the opposite scenario.

It was a scenario I was concerned about at the start of the season for sure, that Koeman wouldn't want him, but as you say he seemed to be working hard on him to noticeable benefit so I was happy that wouldn't be the case.

Now I've no bloody clue, and just want it to be overrrrr

People feel the need to attach blame mate.

TBH, I really don't think anybody is in the wrong and there's no need to blame anybody.

We (the club) should really have got it sorted this time last year. However, given the whole Martinez situation, that was clearly difficult.

Barkley has every right to negotiate, just as the club and Koeman have every right to offer a deal they believe fair.

However, now is the time when all parties need to be clear on the situation, given that Ross only has the 1 year left on his deal.

I very much want Ross to stay and be a key player in this team moving forward. If he doesn't sign this deal though, then it can only mean that he doesn't really think the same, so ultimately - while it'll be a great shame - he'll have to go.

Like Koeman said today (with a chuckle), he wants players who want to be here.

Can't really complain with koeman's comments, no player is bigger than the club, evertonian or not. We're on our way up rather than looking down and i am still miffed as to why he won't sign a contract. Put me in his boots and i'll sign any contract everton offer me, i would never voluntarily leave. I always said the same about rooney.

The problem with barkley is is that he seems to mentally fragile, if the crowd gets on his back, his head goes down and his performance starts getting worse, that for me says that he'll never make it to the top, which is where his talent should take him. I just really don'y understand him not signing a new contract, i don't believe it would be for money, but koeman is right in wanting it sorted now and recent links to players seem to positively suggest we're preparing for replacements already in the instance that he doesn't sign. Koeman's thinking fo the club first here really and that must be applauded. Look at those idiots across the park, they're letting every player and agent bullying them into any demands, i'm struggling to remember a player having to turn a contract offer of theirs down. They just chuck £100,000 a week at any old tom [Poor language removed] and harry like lovren and lallana, with no care in the world of actually making the player earn it, we're showing that no player is bigger than the club, we didn't let stones leave originally, we only accepted when man city met our terms, i don't think we'll let lukaku leave this summer despite rejecting the contract because we'll sell him on our terms and we're not cowering here into whatever terms barkley and his agent aren't seemingly wanting from us.

Don't think Ross has any issues with Koeman mate. Think he may have just had his head turned.

Apart from Rooney leaving here hasn't worked out for the players who left thinking they would go on to bigger and better things.I hope Ross works out in his head that the best place to keep on developing himself as a player for the next few years is at Everton.

Last edited:

I like most of what Koeman does but he's not perfect and I do think he and the club could learn from this saga. Firstly, not offering him a contract last summer, when he was probably at a low ebb and surely would have signed, was a mistake. Even in January Koeman was happy to leave the contract offer until later in the year. Now we are in situation where the club is in a weak position. Secondly, I think the public criticism was a bit OTT earlier in the season, especially when everyone knows he is somewhat sensitive character. Once, to get a reaction is fine but repeatedly was too much and Ross maybe thinks Koeman has never been that keen on him.

That said I think koeman has improved him as an all round player, improved his fitness levels and Ross should think really hard whether moving elsewhere, he will continue to develop a career which has stalled on several occasions.

In fairness mate, bar the Gibson debacle (arranged before Koeman's arrival by the sounds of it, although it did allow us to get a decent fee for him), no new manager should be coming in and throwing out new contracts to a bunch of players who had just finished 11th two years running.

Ross' deal could have - like you said - perhaps have been brokered sooner, though let's be fair there has been talk of negotiations since early December IIRC.

And just one more thing.

The 'criticism' of Ross wasn't any more or less than Koeman has said about any other player. Four or five times this season (including today), he's said Lukaku still needs to do more and that Mirallas must be more productive in the final third. He's questioned most of the squad tbh - including Gana and Schneiderlin also.

It's just how he is. He's very matter-of-fact and clearly, given our improved results, that's helped improve the squad. People don't like to hear it, but the truth hurts sometimes.

People feel the need to attach blame mate.

TBH, I really don't think anybody is in the wrong and there's no need to blame anybody.

We (the club) should really have got it sorted this time last year. However, given the whole Martinez situation, that was clearly difficult.

Barkley has every right to negotiate, just as the club and Koeman have every right to offer a deal they believe fair.

However, now is the time when all parties need to be clear on the situation, given that Ross only has the 1 year left on his deal.

I very much want Ross to stay and be a key player in this team moving forward. If he doesn't sign this deal though, then it can only mean that he doesn't really think the same, so ultimately - while it'll be a great shame - he'll have to go.

Like Koeman said today (with a chuckle), he wants players who want to be here.

If he doesn't sign the deal it also just mean he doesn't think it's good enough, not necessarily that he just doesn't wanna stay

If he doesn't sign the deal it also just mean he doesn't think it's good enough, not necessarily that he just doesn't wanna stay

Perhaps mate, yes. But the club clearly feel it's fair and won't be held to 'ransom' (for lack of a better word).

He's on £60k a week as it is. You can be pretty certain it's a long-term (4 yr deal at the least) offer on the table for him, and it will be at the very least the same wage (probably more).

He's a key player and if he stays will continue to be so. This is a huge contract for him though and that's why I'm personally very understanding of the time he's taken to make the decision.

But... As Koeman has said, the deadline is approaching.

Apart from Rooney leaving here hasn't worked for the players who left thinking they would go on to bigger and better things.I hope Ross works out in his head that the best place to keep on developing himself as a player for the next few years is at Everton.

And for all Wayne's success at OT he never became the player he looked like becoming when he burst on the scene for us and for England.

Ferguson turned him into a workhorse while indulging Ronaldo and giving him a pathway to superstardom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.