Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got to the stage where I don't want him any more. Go, show us all what a great player you are and get back into the England team etc. Too many hopes have been dashed by him. Join another club and get relegated. I used to like Stones then I didn't, same now with Ross. We've put too many eggs in the Barkley-Lukaku basket, time for a rethink.

Don't understand all this sympathy to him. He is basically turning his back on the club and had achieved zero in the game yet

I tend to agree with this sentiment.

Like Stones before him and probably Lukaku after him, he is entitled to make his own decisions but my one and only concern is for my club and what effect that any player leaving might have on it

I am not a big lover of Koeman and think he badly needs a filter but by 'eck I loved what he said about Barkley today.

Sign the sodding contract or ask for a move.

But we are moving on ;)

In fairness mate, bar the Gibson debacle (arranged before Koeman's arrival by the sounds of it, although it did allow us to get a decent fee for him), no new manager should be coming in and throwing out new contracts to a bunch of players who had just finished 11th two years running.

Ross' deal could have - like you said - perhaps have been brokered sooner, though let's be fair there has been talk of negotiations since early December IIRC.

And just one more thing.

The 'criticism' of Ross wasn't any more or less than Koeman has said about any other player. Four or five times this season (including today), he's said Lukaku still needs to do more and that Mirallas must be more productive in the final third. He's questioned most of the squad tbh - including Gana and Schneiderlin also.

It's just how he is. He's very matter-of-fact and clearly, given our improved results, that's helped improve the squad. People don't like to hear it, but the truth hurts sometimes.

I'm not saying it was an easy situation to come in and make decisions straight away but the fact is when players have two years left on their contract, that is the time to tie them down to a new contract. If you leave it you run the risk of them leaving on their terms and for less money. Although Barkley had a pretty catastrophic loss of form & fitness in the later part of last season he still came out of it with 8 goals & 8 assists, which stacks up well against players who go for pretty big fees, so at very least we should have seen it as good business to offer the contract then and protect his value.

Can we just wait until he's holding a spurs shirt before we get the pitchforks out, please?
All this spurs talk is purely press speculation.he s not good enough for us so he s got no chance of a game for them. I believe koeman doesnt fancy him like myself. Sigurdsen will be a massive improvement. Talent is obviously there but the application isnt. That incisive football brain just isnt there. Bye !

Can't really complain with koeman's comments, no player is bigger than the club, evertonian or not. We're on our way up rather than looking down and i am still miffed as to why he won't sign a contract. Put me in his boots and i'll sign any contract everton offer me, i would never voluntarily leave. I always said the same about rooney.

The problem with barkley is is that he seems to mentally fragile, if the crowd gets on his back, his head goes down and his performance starts getting worse, that for me says that he'll never make it to the top, which is where his talent should take him. I just really don'y understand him not signing a new contract, i don't believe it would be for money, but koeman is right in wanting it sorted now and recent links to players seem to positively suggest we're preparing for replacements already in the instance that he doesn't sign. Koeman's thinking fo the club first here really and that must be applauded. Look at those idiots across the park, they're letting every player and agent bullying them into any demands, i'm struggling to remember a player having to turn a contract offer of theirs down. They just chuck £100,000 a week at any old tom [Poor language removed] and harry like lovren and lallana, with no care in the world of actually making the player earn it, we're showing that no player is bigger than the club, we didn't let stones leave originally, we only accepted when man city met our terms, i don't think we'll let lukaku leave this summer despite rejecting the contract because we'll sell him on our terms and we're not cowering here into whatever terms barkley and his agent aren't seemingly wanting from us.
While I agree with pretty much everything you're saying. The team across the park win things. We need to keep our best players to attract better players. Ross going hardly sends out the right message going into the most important summer we have had in KY lifetime. I'm not saying bend over and give him silly money but we need to do all we realistically can to keep him. Same with lukaku.

Can't really complain with koeman's comments, no player is bigger than the club, evertonian or not. We're on our way up rather than looking down and i am still miffed as to why he won't sign a contract. Put me in his boots and i'll sign any contract everton offer me, i would never voluntarily leave. I always said the same about rooney.

The problem with barkley is is that he seems to mentally fragile, if the crowd gets on his back, his head goes down and his performance starts getting worse, that for me says that he'll never make it to the top, which is where his talent should take him. I just really don'y understand him not signing a new contract, i don't believe it would be for money, but koeman is right in wanting it sorted now and recent links to players seem to positively suggest we're preparing for replacements already in the instance that he doesn't sign. Koeman's thinking fo the club first here really and that must be applauded. Look at those idiots across the park, they're letting every player and agent bullying them into any demands, i'm struggling to remember a player having to turn a contract offer of theirs down. They just chuck £100,000 a week at any old tom [Poor language removed] and harry like lovren and lallana, with no care in the world of actually making the player earn it, we're showing that no player is bigger than the club, we didn't let stones leave originally, we only accepted when man city met our terms, i don't think we'll let lukaku leave this summer despite rejecting the contract because we'll sell him on our terms and we're not cowering here into whatever terms barkley and his agent aren't seemingly wanting from us.
While I agree with pretty much everything you're saying. The team across the park win things. We need to keep our best players to attract better players. Ross going hardly sends out the right message going into the most important summer we have had in my lifetime. I'm not saying bend over and give him silly money but we need to do all we realistically can to keep him. Same with lukaku.

Don't understand all this sympathy to him. He is basically turning his back on the club and had achieved zero in the game yet.

More ill feeling towards him then I ever had with Rooney now, I don't care what his reasons are for not signing it.

I just feel that we don't know the facts. Yes, Koeman has made his statements in the press about the situation. But we don't know ross' side of the story.

I don't think they have won owt this past decade or so.....save the EFL Cup in 2012.

Sadly, winning the Easter Championship in 2014 and the November Title in 2016 do not appear in any record books :(

It really pains me to say this, but since we last won a pot they've won everything bar the Prem, including the UEFA Cup/Europa League and the Champions League.

Last edited:
True.....but they have not won owt much this past decade.

And the Prem is the thing they covet most.....they hate the fact United have been champions more often they have :pint2:
Be great if they can win the EL and get in the CL and Arsenal pip them to 4th!

Watch them make a big deal out of Ross going if he does, try to make out we are still a selling club...etc

The problem with barkley is is that he seems to mentally fragile, if the crowd gets on his back, his head goes down and his performance starts getting worse, that for me says that he'll never make it to the top, which is where his talent should take him.

I think that's a problem for us as a club more than it is for Ross.

Most fanbases get behind their best young players rather than abusing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.