Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neither of those can get in the team. A better comparison would be Silva, De Bruyne, Sane or Sterling.

Delph played in their CL quarter-final did he not?

I know he isn't a regular. But every 'big' team needs a squad. They'd see Ross primarily to come in and play that role as back up for any of the four players you mention above - and City will have enough games to ensure that still means plenty of game time.

So, let's say hypothetically it was City who are interested. Ross would be weighing up whether he wants to go there, play (probably) in the CL and under the world's most renowned manager and double his salary

or

Stay at Everton, where he has improved a lot under Koeman, and be a first team regular and still be on a very very decent wedge and hopefully be one of the driving forces behind getting us to the CL in the next year or two.

To us, the choice may seem simple, but let's face it, it's a short career for a footballer and Ross may not be thinking the same.

Either way, he needs to let the club know before they all go away for their holidays - which is basically what Koeman said in his presser.

You would think he would see how Stones has fared at City and realise the grass isn't always greener...

He played in the champions league and part of a back 4 that is pretty poor bar an injury prone Kompany.

I think he did okay considering. So, I'm sure he'd say it's been a lot greener.

He's also got a decade of football to play (like Ross).

He played in the champions league and part of a back 4 that is pretty poor bar an injury prone Kompany.

I think he did okay considering. So, I'm sure he'd say it's been a lot greener.

He's also got a decade of football to play (like Ross).

50 million pound defender who has not in all honesty strengthened their back 4 one bit. Man City fans I know do not want him starting, I reckon he has 12-18 months to cement his place in that line up or he might find himself surplus to requirements. Some games this season he has been on the bench and they have played full backs at CB. Quite telling really.

Last edited:
50 million pound defender who has not in all honesty strengthened their back 4 one bit. Man City fans I know do not want him starting, I reckon he has 12-18 months to cement his place in that line up or he might find himself surplus to requirements. Some games this season he has been on the bench and they have played bull backs at CB. Quite telling really.
The boy is an average defender

I fear for the lad to be honest. Sounds like a take it or leave it offer has been made with a deadline. If the contract is not signed it will be withdrawn. If that happens, not convinced that someone is gonna offer us anywhere near £35M for him with just a year left - big prices usually come from bidding wars - are there that many clubs he would want to go to that actually want him and would pay that for him? If he doesn't sign and no-one comes in for him at a price we want, he could be looking at a whole season on the bench or worse if we get our targets in - and it is World Cup year, so he'll need to be playing regularly to get near the squad for Russia.

50 million pound defender who has not in all honesty strengthened their back 4 one bit. Man City fans I know do not want him starting, I reckon he has 12-18 months to cement his place in that line up or he might find himself surplus to requirements. Some games this season he has been on the bench and they have played full backs at CB. Quite telling really.

Complete opposite to City fans I know.

I thought on about what I hope to be the reason for this nonsense - that we want to tie down Barkley to a long term contract on a certain level of contract before Moshiri starts spending stupid and offering £150k+ for top talent. Barkley would then want parity.

Only thing I can think of for the 'deadline' being so rigid.

He also had midfielders as fullbacks so that's more telling of the manager and the whole defensive line rather than one player.

Defence is built on partnerships. Stones hasn't had one at City. Pep rates him but has put himself in a corner to win games now as the season hasn't panned out so has rotated.

He also had midfielders as fullbacks so that's more telling of the manager and the whole defensive line rather than one player.

Defence is built on partnerships. Stones hasn't had one at City. Pep rates him but has put himself in a corner to win games now as the season hasn't panned out so has rotated.

Regardless of defensive line, a player at 50 million should be starting ahead of Fbs in his position. There should be no doubt in the managers mind that he should start but there clearly must be. Say we bought VVd or Koulibaly for 50 million and then started games with Baines at CB, I would say that is telling of the performances of those players.

Anyway this is the Barkley thread and I'm getting off topic somewhat

I think that's a problem for us as a club more than it is for Ross.

Most fanbases get behind their best young players rather than abusing them.

yeah, i agree, but the best players stand up in the big pressure moments, he's never had a really important game in his career, like a final etc. to show if he can cope with the extra pressure of a big stage, but if what everton fans do phase him, i highly doubt he'll stand up in such games.

Regardless of defensive line, a player at 50 million should be starting ahead of Fbs in his position. There should be no doubt in the managers mind that he should start but there clearly must be. Say we bought VVd or Koulibaly for 50 million and then started games with Baines at CB, I would say that is telling of the performances of those players.

Anyway this is the Barkley thread and I'm getting off topic somewhat

If we won big games, then it would make sense. Pep's got his rep for being a forward thinking manager tactically. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

And that amount of money for City is pocket change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back