Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah this is the confusing issue for me. We've basically hung a "for sale cheap" sign on him for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

The ball was in our court to get a good fee for him if we kept things behind closed doors and didn't have the manager be a loudmouth massive hypocrite.

Like everyone else on here I don't know what's going on between Ross and the club, but to say the club has weakened there bargaining position by what the manager has said doesn't really stand up.
I presume that Ross Barkley has an agent, and I presume that agent knows what Ross wants to do about his contract. If it is that he wants to leave I would think it quite likely that said agent would approach the clubs that Ross is interested in joining and tell them that his client is not going to sign a new contract with Everton and would like to join them. All the club has done by making it public is let the fans know that they have offered Ross a contract and he has refused to sign.
What fans seem to struggle with is that clubs can't make players sign new contracts or come to clubs in the first place.

Good grief man. Putting Deleuofeu in the same bracket as Lukaku and Barkley is like saying Marcus Bent is in the same class as Latchford. Deleuofeu is irrelevant to this discussion and unsurprisingly we improved massively since he's been binned off.

As for Barkley, he's not doubt been offered a very reasonable contract. I suspect the money like is a convenient excuse for him because he hasn't the balls to tell us he fancies spurs. He needs to grow a set right now and answer the question. If he goes well miss him, but it's his loss.

Del is a more skilful footballer than Barkley and Lukaku.

And he is very "relevant" to the discussion because if Koeman cannot, or will not, try to get the best out of top talent like him and Barkley then we have little chance of moving on from where we are right now.

Great teams are built as much on inspiration as perspiration.....and Lord knows we have very few players whom can provide that inspiration.

Del and Barkley being of that ilk.

I've just said I don't buy contract length being an issue. Koeman has gone on about players 'wanting to be here' in reference to Barkley, but hasn't said a peep about Lukaku who definitely wants out given he refused a contract. That is pure hypocrisy; there's no debate to be had on that.
I don't care if you "buy" it ir not...its a fact.
2 years is 12 months longer than 1. The difference the club recieve £££ is huge. I get the fact that it looks bad management to out a player on tv but if he played it silent and Ross went, We would have to put up with the line the club pushed him out to make a quick buck. I prefer a manager to speak the truth, Might ruffle feathers but at least everyone knows where they stand. We wont see the same story with Rom, Rom has played it straight with the fans...he doesnt want to be here. Honesty see !!! I prefer it.

I've just said I don't buy contract length being an issue. Koeman has gone on about players 'wanting to be here' in reference to Barkley, but hasn't said a peep about Lukaku who definitely wants out given he refused a contract. That is pure hypocrisy; there's no debate to be had on that.

The difference is Ronald knows lukaku doesn't want to be here. He can't really keep going on about it. Lukaku has a really low opinion of Everton and ain't gonna change his mind. No amount of media pressure is gonna change that.

He suspects Barkley doesn't want to be here but Ross hasn't had the decency to actually answer the question. Personally these kids are paid astronomical amounts and don't treat the club with much respect so can't say I've one bit of sympathy with the boss challenging them in public. I hope Ross stays but I've been convinced for weeks that Poch sees him as the progression to Alli who I reckon will be at Real within 2 years. Money is a just a convenient excuse cause he doesn't have the guts to tell us he wants out. It's all about saving face for him. We don't take kindly to local kids jibbing us off and rightly so.

Del is a more skilful footballer than Barkley and Lukaku.

And he is very "relevant" to the discussion because if Koeman cannot, or will not, try to get the best out of top talent like him and Barkley then we have little chance of moving on from where we are right now.

Great teams are built as much on inspiration as perspiration.....and Lord knows we have very few players whom can provide that inspiration.

Del and Barkley being of that ilk.

Could not disagree more. This is a player who has scored one goal since end of 2015. Lukaku has scored nearly 40. And he ain't relevant to whether Ross will stay. Ross wants Spurs. He'll have his reasons but he's making a wrong decision.

Not one bit. Barkley has talent and everyone wants him to stay, but him and his agent are forcing Everton's hand, it's a simple as that.

He has a contract in front of him and he's given no indication on what he's doing, the club need to plan for the summer and if he's not giving answers then there unsure if they need to recruit for him. So it's simple, sign or get out so I can replace you

Reidy nailed it last night, bin them both off in the summer and get players who want to be here

Of course. But there's two problems for me - one is you don't have much in bargaining if you don't want something. Two, these are key players. Replacing won't be easy. Doable but not easy.

The difference is Ronald knows lukaku doesn't want to be here. He can't really keep going on about it. Lukaku has a really low opinion of Everton and ain't gonna change his mind. No amount of media pressure is gonna change that.

He suspects Barkley doesn't want to be here but Ross hasn't had the decency to actually answer the question. Personally these kids are paid astronomical amounts and don't treat the club with much respect so can't say I've one bit of sympathy with the boss challenging them in public. I hope Ross stays but I've been convinced for weeks that Poch sees him as the progression to Alli who I reckon will be at Real within 2 years. Money is a just a convenient excuse cause he doesn't have the guts to tell us he wants out. It's all about saving face for him. We don't take kindly to local kids jibbing us off and rightly so.

It's not about "decency" mate, he hires an agent for a reason. Ross is letting his agent do his job. He's a professional footballer first, a fan second - Everton is his employer. That's the modern game.

It's like saying "no comment" before you have a lawyer - it's just common sense.

You don't know if Barkley wants out. I honestly don't think he does. But that's the point - nobody knows because nobody is supposed to know because this type of business gets done behind closed doors.

That's why I'm saying Koeman has erred here, because there's nothing to be gained and everything to be lost. If he wants to keep the player, he's risked losing him by alienating him with stupid deadlines. If he wants to get rid of the player, he's knocked down his price tag by letting clubs know we need to get rid at the end of this week. Either way, he's achieved nothing.

Of course. But there's two problems for me - one is you don't have much in bargaining if you don't want something. Two, these are key players. Replacing won't be easy. Doable but not easy.

Of course they'll be hard to replace, but tis the nature of the game. Players come and players go, it's up to the management team to ensure they are not missed.

He's devalued him right now, that's the point. He's made him damaged goods. We had all this summer to get a contract signed or sell him on for a decent fee.

Oh - another pop at the manager.

Answer the question. You have 2 choices which is it to be? 'All summer to negotiate then sell' was, and I don't believe should be an option.

Sign by next week Ross or leave for free next year. If you're a director of Everton what do you do?

It's not about "decency" mate, he hires an agent for a reason. Ross is letting his agent do his job. He's a professional footballer first, a fan second - Everton is his employer. That's the modern game.

It's like saying "no comment" before you have a lawyer - it's just common sense.

You don't know if Barkley wants out. I honestly don't think he does. But that's the point - nobody knows because nobody is supposed to know because this type of business gets done behind closed doors.

That's why I'm saying Koeman has erred here, because there's nothing to be gained and everything to be lost. If he wants to keep the player, he's risked losing him by alienating him with stupid deadlines. If he wants to get rid of the player, he's knocked down his price tag by letting clubs know we need to get rid at the end of this week. Either way, he's achieved nothing.

If he was committed to play for Everton he would have signed by now.

To be fair Dave, Stones wanted out long before Moshiri and Koeman arrived......look at the saga the summer before last and the sulky performances in the latter half of last season.

Ditto Lukaku...whom had been mouthing off for yonkos and downed tools after the Chelsea cup tie.

The Barkley situation is depressing as never in a hundred years did I think he would want out.

And then there is the Deulofeou situation...sheer madness that a lid with his talent and untapped ability was shipped out on loan halfway through a season and at a time we were struggling.

Barkley and Gerald, unlike Stones and Lukaku, seemed to revel in being Evertonians yet it looks like both might be gone by August.
Add the freezing out of our best young player, Dowell,and a worrying pattern has emerged: talented creative people that require encouragement are now unwanted or are so discouraged by this turn toward a more basic athletic game that they prefer elsewhere.

We will see this time next season the Koeman Everton. It will be uninspiring and bang average.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back