Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tubey, you're talking bollocks mate. As others have said, Barkley gets the groans because he makes most misplaced passes, loses his man most often, ducks most out of tackles etc etc. And it is groaning, not abuse or booing. Any regular matchgoer who's not shown exasperation at Barkley at any time in recent seasons must have the patience of a saint.

I love the guy. Many others do. It's one reason why he's the only current player with a song dedicated to him. But I've recently sat back and tried to think objectively and fairly about his merits and deficiencies. And, sorry to say, I've concluded that we need someone better.
Last season, yes.
Not this season.
He works his arse off but as soon as he makes a mistake the groans begin. Far more than other players get.

Still annoying poor decision making, for what it's worth, and if he manages to concentrate on that - groaning will stop. It's been a few years he's a first team player and it's not improved at all. Same with Seamus' crossing and inability to use his left foot.

I'm a bit miffed he doesn't chase every ball, but I know it's not his role etc. so I don't really mind as much. It's when he has a simple pass to lay off and waits it out too long despite literally looking at the player making the run, or just chooses to scrap that idea and randomly run at people instead of passing it, or trying to run/guard the ball off 3-4 opposition players (which to his credit he actually pulls off more often than not).

Incredibly inconsistent otherwise, and with what @Tubey said it just gets shown up a lotmore.

Oh and to stay true to form - most annoying of all, he's an actual JUDAS.

Still annoying poor decision making, for what it's worth, and if he manages to concentrate on that - groaning will stop. It's been a few years he's a first team player and it's not improved at all. Same with Seamus' crossing and inability to use his left foot.

I'm a bit miffed he doesn't chase every ball, but I know it's not his role etc. so I don't really mind as much. It's when he has a simple pass to lay off and waits it out too long despite literally looking at the player making the run, or just chooses to scrap that idea and randomly run at people instead of passing it, or trying to run/guard the ball off 3-4 opposition players (which to his credit he actually pulls off more often than not).

Incredibly inconsistent otherwise, and with what @Tubey said it just gets shown up a lotmore.

Yet barely a moan from anyone!!

And players just stand still watching him.....I dont blame him for holding onto it, Others would get rid quick to one of these static players....lose the ball and ppl with moan at the stood still player.

Not enough players take responsibility, Ross does. Hence you all crying at him not bieng Mess and Zidane.

I still dont get how ppl dont see this!!!

This just isn't true.

He has improved drastically this season.
He was consistently our best player for a number of months until the Derby.
Christ, even the epitome of negativity Tony Pulis acknowledged it after the game with WBA:
He said: "That's the best I've seen Barkley play and I've been up against him a few times. Then there's Lukaku who is one of the best strikers in the Premier League.

"Those two up front are very very good and that's the difference these clubs have."
Of course he's not there yet, but he's improved on every aspect this season.

He was only 60k mate cmon we can't really expect him to be any good right?

But it annoys me to no end, that (and I said it in the thread when he broke his foot) - he absolutely couldn't use his left foot. On a few occasions this/last season he's produced a cross with his left and everyone looked shocked it reached anything. One of them was actually really good (a month or so ago?) and Lukaku didn't expect absolutely anything and just stood there, wasn't ready to attack the ball or anything like that.

He's got heart though, so we're allowed to overlook his major flaws, y'know?

It's when he has a simple pass to lay off and waits it out too long despite literally looking at the player making the run, or just chooses to scrap that idea and randomly run at people instead of passing it, or trying to run/guard the ball off 3-4 opposition players (which to his credit he actually pulls off more often than not).

In fairness to Ross, a lot of the time he does that he is looking for a different option. For example it's an easy 5 yard pass, so he's showing as if he's going to make it but really he's waiting for the defender to try and read it (move) and then he'll do something different in the new space that's opened up.

It's like when he fakes to receive the ball and turn and suddenly goes the opposite way. He's an unpredictable footballer and if he can sort out making the correct option more often than not, then he'll be quality. I personally think he's getting better and better at that and I hope he stays.

People need to remember he is on the ball a lot, he never hides, he always shows for the ball and a lot of the time he's playing with a static side. I said in an earlier post, with the likes of Jesus, Sane and Sterling in front of him, doing that 'wait it out for a different option thing' would make him look a whole lot better. Hopefully if he stays we'll get some more mobile players in advanced areas in.

I do however think he needs to tighten up his game, as sometimes cos he is looking for different options when on the ball, when nothing shows and he does make the 5 yard pass, it's not always a good one.

And players just stand still watching him.....I dont blame him for holding onto it, Others would get rid quick to one of these static players....lose the ball and ppl with moan at the stood still player.

Not enough players take responsibility, Ross does. Hence you all crying at him not bieng Mess and Zidane.

I still dont get how ppl dont see this!!!

Hahahaha. Unreal stuff.

This just isn't true.

He has improved drastically this season.
He was consistently our best player for a number of months until the Derby.
Christ, even the epitome of negativity Tony Pulis acknowledged it after the game with WBA:

Of course he's not there yet, but he's improved on every aspect this season.
Tell me it isn't true again when you see someone dart past him and make a great run only for Barkley to look at them, hold on to it, proceed to dribble and 95% of the time lose the ball or slow the attack down so the opposition regroups.

Happened last game, happens every game. It's those decisions that end up winning you games, however, and I'd like to see him visibly improve.

And I said absolutely nothing about form, thanks for bringing this up, it was, what, 3 posts maybe since this was used as a counter-argument to a point that has nothing to do with form. Cheers.

He doesn't just get more stick, he gets it more vociferously than any other player at the club. You are lying to yourself if you say otherwise - I can safely say that because I've witnessed it first hand. Yes, it's borne from frustration, but it doesn't excuse it.

As said, if, say, Gana misplaces a pass or gets caught in possession, there's a light groan or a roll of the eyes. If he does it three times in five minutes, maybe a bit of a vocal grumble. Barkley does it once and people are groaning like the world just ended.

You are entitled to your opinion on him, that's fine - but I'm certainly not "talking bollocks" about his treatment from certain segments of our fanbase, and I believe it is purely linked to his style of play. The bold line above says it all; he's not an all-action headless chicken runner of a player, and because of that he gets slated.

As for "makes most misplaced passes" - his pass completion rate is on par with anyone else in the team, and he has a higher completion rate than Dele Alli. Again, symptomatic of what people think Barkley does, and what actually is the case.

Spot on with the Alli comparison, he gives it away much more often and it's to silence from the Spurs fans and glossed over entirely by the commentators.

Tell me it isn't true again when you see someone dart past him and make a great run only for Barkley to look at them, hold on to it, proceed to dribble and 95% of the time lose the ball or slow the attack down so the opposition regroups.

Happened last game, happens every game. It's those decisions that end up winning you games, however, and I'd like to see him visibly improve.

And I said absolutely nothing about form, thanks for bringing this up, it was, what, 3 posts maybe since this was used as a counter-argument to a point that has nothing to do with form. Cheers.

Complete fabrication.

Ross Barkley has never been more productive in the last 3 years.
upload_2017-5-17_10-28-52.webp

In fairness to Ross, a lot of the time he does that he is looking for a different option. For example it's an easy 5 yard pass, so he's showing as if he's going to make it but really he's waiting for the defender to try and read it (move) and then he'll do something different in the new space that's opened up.

It's like when he fakes to receive the ball and turn and suddenly goes the opposite way. He's an unpredictable footballer and if he can sort out making the correct option more often than not, then he'll be quality. I personally think he's getting better and better at that and I hope he stays.

People need to remember he is on the ball a lot, he never hides, he always shows for the ball and a lot of the time he's playing with a static side. I said in an earlier post, with the likes of Jesus, Sane and Sterling in front of him, doing that 'wait it out for a different option thing' would make him look a whole lot better. Hopefully if he stays we'll get some more mobile players in advanced areas in.

I do however think he needs to tighten up his game, as sometimes cos he is looking for different options when on the ball, when nothing shows and he does make the 5 yard pass, it's not always a good one.
No, see, that I agree with, but especially with Mirallas/Coleman/Lookman (to an extent, like, we've not seen enough of him) and 'flair' players like that - they'd make a great run, get free/in a good position, and Barkley decides to fake it or not pass and spin around to get closed down and then pass it sideways or make the pass but too late. It's not a *massive* part of his game, but it's one of those split-second things that win games - to put a player in a great crossing/shooting position is something I'd consider 100% better than someone shooting from 30 yards out every time after the run's already ended by his teammate and he's closed down.

There's been occasions when this works and he scores, but you can't tell me there's anyone in world football who hits the long shot perfectly every time and scores (like last game, coincidentally, when this happened really).

He was only 60k mate cmon we can't really expect him to be any good right?

But it annoys me to no end, that (and I said it in the thread when he broke his foot) - he absolutely couldn't use his left foot. On a few occasions this/last season he's produced a cross with his left and everyone looked shocked it reached anything. One of them was actually really good (a month or so ago?) and Lukaku didn't expect absolutely anything and just stood there, wasn't ready to attack the ball or anything like that.

He's got heart though, so we're allowed to overlook his major flaws, y'know?

He cost £60k more than Ross, mate.

Complete fabrication.

Ross Barkley has never been more productive in the last 3 years.
View attachment 36901
Are you for real?

WHAT'S HIS FORM LIKE THOEH MAET?!?

I'm not gonna record this because I can't be arsed but next time I can actively watch games I'll just tag you when this inevitably happens 5 times a game, as you seem to be unable to understand clearly written text.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back