Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting article by Paul Jouce released just now in The Times - have pasted it below for anyone that isnt a subscriber. Nothing to revealing from Joyce but an interesting read nonetheless.

"It is the starkness to Ronald Koeman’s words whenever he speaks of Ross Barkley, and the constant insinuations that this is a talent falling short, that fuel the impression of a total disconnect between player and manager.

And yet Koeman, of course, knows exactly how the midfielder is feeling. A year ago the Dutchman himself was prevaricating over a new contract, while suggesting there was nothing unsettling about entering the final 12 months of his deal.

“The main reason [I left Southampton] was that we did not agree about my last year of contract,” he said of the events leading to his move to Everton last summer.

Koeman does not perceive him to be indispensable and Barkley, valued at £50 million, has to ask himself why
“I mentioned to the club I would like to continue and go into my last year. Then, during the season, we would have time to discuss about the future.

“They said it’s not good because we like to know the future. I said it was not a problem because I signed three times a one-year contract with Feyenoord in Holland.”

There is an obvious contradiction in Koeman’s stance then and his position now in demanding Barkley decides whether he wants to extend a contract, which has a year to run, before Sunday’s final league game against Arsenal or face being sold.

Koeman can argue he is trying to protect his club and that it does not make financial sense to allow a player to enter the final 12 months of a deal. But Southampton could point out that signing players one summer for a manager who might not be there the next would not be a sound policy.

Yet the impression lingers that if it was not this, then the Dutchman would find another reason to pick a fight with Barkley. The bottom line is that he does not perceive him to be indispensable and Barkley, valued at £50 million, has to ask himself why.

Now that relations have become somewhat strained, it is easy to forget that, in the beginning, Koeman gave Barkley a nudge forward.

Barkley was made captain for the EFL Cup tie against Yeovil Town in August and celebrated his goal on the night by paying tribute to the passing of Sid Benson, the prolific Everton scout who first spotted him.

After carrot has come stick. Time and time again.

The sight of Barkley being hauled off at half-time of the win over Sunderland in September, the first game after he had been left out of the England squad, confirmed Koeman as a man not swayed by reputation.

Koeman had been quoted on the morning of the match saying the player needed to look at himself, rather than questioning whether he had been let down by the managers in his career, and his treatment that night redrew the boundaries.

The arm-round-the-shoulder and offer of the armband was replaced by a series of verbal jabs designed to provoke a reaction from Barkley and it is nonsense for Koeman to suggest he is merely answering his inquisitor’s questions. He is all too happy to plead the Fifth Amendment when it suits him.

Initially, the digs only gnawed at confidence. In a game at Burnley, Barkley backed himself to make the difference, unleashing one shot before immediately turning to seek approval from Koeman on the touchline.

Their relationship has complicated contract talks even if the reality is that, over time, Koeman’s tough love approach has coaxed Barkley back into form and back into the England squad. Barkley deserves credit for rising to the challenge, but there is little harmony.

So much so that when Barkley was dropped for the recent defeat against Swansea City, it is likely he spied a scapegoat when he looked in the mirror rather than someone who needed to react to a poor display against Chelsea the previous week.

When he hears Koeman talking up Romelu Lukaku, who may have two years, not one, to run on his contract but who has made clear he does not want to stay at Everton, he is likely to stew on how their treatment is so different even if, deep down, he knows the answer.

Two questions have been raised throughout Barkley’s contract stand-off: Where will he go? Will he play at another club? Tottenham Hotspur have been repeatedly linked and now there are noises about the likes of Arsenal, Manchester City and Manchester United. It is hard to see Barkley featuring week in, week out ahead of Dele Alli, Mesut Özil, David Silva and Henrikh Mkhitaryan unless he produces greater consistency.

And yet, despite the swell of advice that the player should remain at an ambitious, forward-thinking club newly qualified for the Europa League, Koeman’s latest comments hardly smooth the path towards reconciliation.

He has been open in suggesting Everton will be signing attacking midfielders in Barkley’s position this summer, players who can provide more goals. By delaying a decision on his future Koeman will expect Barkley to be put up for sale. Sign a new contract and, it seems, the boyhood Evertonian is still not sure of playing.

No wonder the situation has not been sorted out swiftly."

I'm a huge fan of Joyce but can't agree with all of that.

He makes a compelling argument but I don't think it's so black-and-white.

He makes out like all season Koeman has hammered Ross. In fact he's always talked up the lad when given the chance as well (just a few weeks ago he said "We like to keep our best players" in answer to a question about both Rom and Ross).

Barkley has improved this season under Koeman. Koeman knows this, and I think Barkley knows it as well.

From Koeman's p.o.v - the short-term - it's realistic to think that he would rather have a player 100% convinced of their own future at the club than somebody who, for whatever reason, is dallying on a contract.

We need new attacking players. That is nothing groundbreaking. We've needed them for the past 3 seasons.

I'm a huge fan of Joyce but can't agree with all of that.

He makes a compelling argument but I don't think it's so black-and-white.

He makes out like all season Koeman has hammered Ross. In fact he's always talked up the lad when given the chance as well (just a few weeks ago he said "We like to keep our best players" in answer to a question about both Rom and Ross).

Barkley has improved this season under Koeman. Koeman knows this, and I think Barkley knows it as well.

From Koeman's p.o.v - the short-term - it's realistic to think that he would rather have a player 100% convinced of their own future at the club than somebody who, for whatever reason, is dallying on a contract.

We need new attacking players. That is nothing groundbreaking. We've needed them for the past 3 seasons.

Agreed - Koeman's approach on Barkley for example is Martinez-esque when comparing Mourinho's handling of Luke Shaw. I for one hope the relationship between the two is reconcilable - Ross is an important part of the new Everton project and losing him would be a massive blow to brand Everton, especially this early on in the Moshiri era - but i do see that he is a replaceable player.

Interesting article by Paul Jouce released just now in The Times - have pasted it below for anyone that isnt a subscriber. Nothing to revealing from Joyce but an interesting read nonetheless.

"It is the starkness to Ronald Koeman’s words whenever he speaks of Ross Barkley, and the constant insinuations that this is a talent falling short, that fuel the impression of a total disconnect between player and manager.

And yet Koeman, of course, knows exactly how the midfielder is feeling. A year ago the Dutchman himself was prevaricating over a new contract, while suggesting there was nothing unsettling about entering the final 12 months of his deal.

“The main reason [I left Southampton] was that we did not agree about my last year of contract,” he said of the events leading to his move to Everton last summer.

Koeman does not perceive him to be indispensable and Barkley, valued at £50 million, has to ask himself why
“I mentioned to the club I would like to continue and go into my last year. Then, during the season, we would have time to discuss about the future.

“They said it’s not good because we like to know the future. I said it was not a problem because I signed three times a one-year contract with Feyenoord in Holland.”

There is an obvious contradiction in Koeman’s stance then and his position now in demanding Barkley decides whether he wants to extend a contract, which has a year to run, before Sunday’s final league game against Arsenal or face being sold.

Koeman can argue he is trying to protect his club and that it does not make financial sense to allow a player to enter the final 12 months of a deal. But Southampton could point out that signing players one summer for a manager who might not be there the next would not be a sound policy.

Yet the impression lingers that if it was not this, then the Dutchman would find another reason to pick a fight with Barkley. The bottom line is that he does not perceive him to be indispensable and Barkley, valued at £50 million, has to ask himself why.

Now that relations have become somewhat strained, it is easy to forget that, in the beginning, Koeman gave Barkley a nudge forward.

Barkley was made captain for the EFL Cup tie against Yeovil Town in August and celebrated his goal on the night by paying tribute to the passing of Sid Benson, the prolific Everton scout who first spotted him.

After carrot has come stick. Time and time again.

The sight of Barkley being hauled off at half-time of the win over Sunderland in September, the first game after he had been left out of the England squad, confirmed Koeman as a man not swayed by reputation.

Koeman had been quoted on the morning of the match saying the player needed to look at himself, rather than questioning whether he had been let down by the managers in his career, and his treatment that night redrew the boundaries.

The arm-round-the-shoulder and offer of the armband was replaced by a series of verbal jabs designed to provoke a reaction from Barkley and it is nonsense for Koeman to suggest he is merely answering his inquisitor’s questions. He is all too happy to plead the Fifth Amendment when it suits him.

Initially, the digs only gnawed at confidence. In a game at Burnley, Barkley backed himself to make the difference, unleashing one shot before immediately turning to seek approval from Koeman on the touchline.

Their relationship has complicated contract talks even if the reality is that, over time, Koeman’s tough love approach has coaxed Barkley back into form and back into the England squad. Barkley deserves credit for rising to the challenge, but there is little harmony.

So much so that when Barkley was dropped for the recent defeat against Swansea City, it is likely he spied a scapegoat when he looked in the mirror rather than someone who needed to react to a poor display against Chelsea the previous week.

When he hears Koeman talking up Romelu Lukaku, who may have two years, not one, to run on his contract but who has made clear he does not want to stay at Everton, he is likely to stew on how their treatment is so different even if, deep down, he knows the answer.

Two questions have been raised throughout Barkley’s contract stand-off: Where will he go? Will he play at another club? Tottenham Hotspur have been repeatedly linked and now there are noises about the likes of Arsenal, Manchester City and Manchester United. It is hard to see Barkley featuring week in, week out ahead of Dele Alli, Mesut Özil, David Silva and Henrikh Mkhitaryan unless he produces greater consistency.

And yet, despite the swell of advice that the player should remain at an ambitious, forward-thinking club newly qualified for the Europa League, Koeman’s latest comments hardly smooth the path towards reconciliation.

He has been open in suggesting Everton will be signing attacking midfielders in Barkley’s position this summer, players who can provide more goals. By delaying a decision on his future Koeman will expect Barkley to be put up for sale. Sign a new contract and, it seems, the boyhood Evertonian is still not sure of playing.

No wonder the situation has not been sorted out swiftly."
That is 100% nail on the head.

Well done to Paul Joyce for stepping outside of the industry spin calling the situation spot on.

The club are definitely calling Ross and his agents bluff, mostly because as reported, Koeman isnt fussed either way. I think Koeman likes him and would happily keep him as he would be an excellent squad member, however is not that desperate to throw anything Ross wants at him.

He or his agent have put him in a sticky situation.

That is 100% nail on the head.

Well done to Paul Joyce for stepping outside of the industry spin calling the situation spot on.

I personally cant attribute the blame on Koeman here - after the years of Martinez in which we heard a utopian world in press conferences, Koeman has brought a hard but firm refreshing approach that I think the majority of blues have enjoyed. Two years of underachievement under Martinez, with horrific defensive stats - which we were not used to under Moyes - has been rectified this season by Koeman's style. From the start of the season, he has demanded more from every single player in the squad - not least from our undoubtedly best attacking players Ross and Romelu.

Has Romelu improved? Absolutely - not just in stats; 18 goals last season, 24 this season - but i think we have all seen the improvement in his all round play this season, especially on his first touch bar the odd game.

Has Ross improved? Stats wise he has dropped in goals scored in a team that has gone from bottom-half to top seven - 8 goals, 8 assists last season, 5 goals 8 assists this season, and performance-wise can we say he has improved dramatically this season?

Koeman recognises that Ross is ultimately replaceable in this team and has managed the situation accordingly.

I personally cant attribute the blame on Koeman here - after the years of Martinez in which we heard a utopian world in press conferences, Koeman has brought a hard but firm refreshing approach that I think the majority of blues have enjoyed. Two years of underachievement under Martinez, with horrific defensive stats - which we were not used to under Moyes - has been rectified this season by Koeman's style. From the start of the season, he has demanded more from every single player in the squad - not least from our undoubtedly best attacking players Ross and Romelu.

Has Romelu improved? Absolutely - not just in stats; 18 goals last season, 24 this season - but i think we have all seen the improvement in his all round play this season, especially on his first touch bar the odd game.

Has Ross improved? Stats wise he has dropped in goals scored in a team that has gone from bottom-half to top seven - 8 goals, 8 assists last season, 5 goals 8 assists this season, and performance-wise can we say he has improved dramatically this season?

Koeman recognises that Ross is ultimately replaceable in this team and has managed the situation accordingly.

I cant see the point you're making here. You state that Koeman deserves credit for Lukaku's increased scoring tally but that Barkley not kicking on dramatically is down to the player.

It's either a consistent assessment across the board or nothing, surely?

Paul Joyce has spoken the truth in his piece. Some may not like it but that's besides the point. Koeman is a hypocrite for holding Barkley to standards he himself couldn't reach.

Koeman has this Barkley situation spot on, everything I see, hear and read confirms this. Shows that Everton are in good hands going forward.

I don't think there's much blame to attribute anywhere.

It's a contract stand-off.

The club/Koeman have their reasons, and Ross/his agent will have theirs.

Let's see what happens first.

If he leaves, it'll be a blow to us as fans, but clearly, Koeman sees him as replaceable.

I do think Ross has improved though mate. Second half of the season, he's been very good.

Twelve months ago we had a similar situation with John Stones.
We were advised that he had done well with Everton but would improve greatly playing CL football and under the tutoring of Mourinho/ Guardiola/Conte. He has not improved greatly and in truth has probably gone backwards.

Barkley has had a difficult season but because of this he is a better player now than twelve months ago and although I would say that personally he may not particularly like Koeman but he probably does recognise that Koeman may represent the best chance of Barkley becoming the very best that he can be.

I think Koeman believes he can make Barkley even better than he is, but if he leaves he feels he can replace with the same or even better.
Koeman obviously back his own ability as a manager.

It leaves Ross with a decision to make , but I can't see where he will get in the team at Spurs, I don't think his style is best suited to Arsenal... maybe Utd... but I don't believe there are lots of options for him and Everton quoting the price of 50m is basically telling other clubs they are not buying the player at basement prices.

I cant see the point you're making here. You state that Koeman deserves credit for Lukaku's increased scoring tally but that Barkley not kicking on dramatically is down to the player.

It's either a consistent assessment across the board or nothing, surely?

Paul Joyce has spoken the truth in his piece. Some may not like it but that's besides the point. Koeman is a hypocrite for holding Barkley to standards he himself couldn't reach.

Not once did I say Koeman deserves credit for Lukaku's increased scoring tally or that Barkley's non-improved stats are down to the player - my point is simply that Ross has failed to increase his contribution statistically wise, and in my opinion not performance-wise either, in a team that has gone from the bottom half to the top seven.

I think if you break down the nuts and bolts, he has. He covers more distance and improved his defensive game while still creating.

Out if the players who have been the rock if the side it would be him, Gana, and Lukaku. Remove two of them and we'd struggle massively.

For me, Rom has improved, and Ross seems to have stalled - indeed at times he seems to have gone backwards - and if we paused for a moment and took off our blue-tinted spectacles we would probably, collectively agree.

I genuinely don't think that Koeman fancies him - and as the manager that is his prerogative. Take away the "local lad done good" aspect and you have a player who hasn't yet really started to fulfill his potential, and to my eyes at least, looks like he won't. We've all heard the "he doesn't have a footballing brain" rumours - what if they are true? For a smart player like Koeman was it must be frustrating.

If he goes, I will mourn for the boyhood blue but will hope that whoever we get to replace him makes me happier on the pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back