Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me, Rom has improved, and Ross seems to have stalled - indeed at times he seems to have gone backwards - and if we paused for a moment and took off our blue-tinted spectacles we would probably, collectively agree.

I genuinely don't think that Koeman fancies him - and as the manager that is his prerogative. Take away the "local lad done good" aspect and you have a player who hasn't yet really started to fulfill his potential, and to my eyes at least, looks like he won't. We've all heard the "he doesn't have a footballing brain" rumours - what if they are true? For a smart player like Koeman was it must be frustrating.

If he goes, I will mourn for the boyhood blue but will hope that whoever we get to replace him makes me happier on the pitch.

Don't think it's as much Koeman not fancying him mate as it is Koeman thinking that - if Ross is having doubts over this new deal - then we would still be able to improve without him.

If Ross does stay, he'll be a key part of the team next season - of that I have no doubt.

I don't understand this.
So while Ross and Rom are the same age'ish, Rom is still improving but, Ross has failed?
I'm pretty sure he hasn't disrespected the club and if he wants, he can see out his contract and leave for free (now that would be disrespecting the club ala Moyes!).
Maybe, RK should pipe down and stop making everything 'Ross' something that should be played out in public?
So when he doesn@t make his mind up and decides to down tools after the transfer window has closed, that will be ok then. You need to get some fresh air lad

Don't think it's as much Koeman not fancying him mate as it is Koeman thinking that - if Ross is having doubts over this new deal - then we would still be able to improve without him.

If Ross does stay, he'll be a key part of the team next season - of that I have no doubt.

Personly I think he'll be a key part of the bench next season!!

Koeman must have his eye on a replacement already, which is why they are so cool about Ross

Personly I think he'll be a key part of the bench next season!!

Koeman must have his eye on a replacement already, which is why they are so cool about Ross

I think he'll have a replacement, but he should really have had someone lined up that was/is going to help Ross before all this began. We need two players of his type, have done for seasons.

His position is important so he'll spend £30mill on a more complete player (like a Sigurdson).

I'd be very surprised if he buys an unproven young player like this Klassen for eg and expect consistency which is really the problem.

If he goes, we will struggle massively to replace him. Romelu Lukaku is leading the league in goals scored as a finisher with absolutely zero creative ability. Where do the Barkley haters believe these goals come from? Ross is our entire offense.

Even with a creative player like Alexis Sanchez; do fans/pundits truly believe he is responsible for all of his goals? No, of course not. Mesuit Ozil is a world class attacking midfielder that runs the entire offense.

I absolutely hate how often we heap praise on the goal scorer when the difficult stuff is done for them and the goal is gifted on a platter.

I seriously cannot believe so many "fans" are willing jettison a lad that loves the club like Ross; and in the same breath heap praise a media darling who fancies a move to Chelsea, and a gaffer that cares about Everton only as much as it helps him get to Camp Nou.

As fans we are suppose to understand and appreciate the game, so why are we acting like a bunch of Old Trafford card board cut-outs? We are Everton fans; we are suppose to be better than this.

So when he doesn@t make his mind up and decides to down tools after the transfer window has closed, that will be ok then. You need to get some fresh air lad

No, I said he could stay, leave for free and that it would be disrespecting the club. You need to chill out lad.

Barkley and his agent obviously believe he's worth more than the contract he's currently being offered. Koeman and Everton are not so sure. This kind of thing happens all the time in sports. It just stinks because Barkley is a local lad and lifelong Blue. On one hand, I'm glad that Everton are trying to look at things logically and not emotionally but another part of me is willing to pay extra to keep Barkley around and hope he finally fulfills his potential at his boyhood club. I'm praying that both sides can get together and come to a compromise.

Joyce's comparison of Koeman's last year at Southampton and Barkley's last year aren't quite the same. Southampton would only lose the manager if Koeman had ran out his contract. Everton would not only lose Barkley but we would also lose a massive amount of money. It would be idiotic to allow that to happen. We simply have to sell him this summer if he doesn't sign so Koeman's stance isn't unusual in any way. It just sounds harsh.

A £50m price tag for Barkley is ridiculous. But then again, £100m for Lukaku is silly as well. I'd expect we'd get £30m for Barkley since he's a young England international but no more.

If he goes, we will struggle massively to replace him. Romelu Lukaku is leading the league in goals scored as a finisher with absolutely zero creative ability. Where do the Barkley haters believe these goals come from? Ross is our entire offense.

Even with a creative player like Alexis Sanchez; do fans/pundits truly believe he is responsible for all of his goals? No, of course not. Mesuit Ozil is a world class attacking midfielder that runs the entire offense.

I absolutely hate how often we heap praise on the goal scorer when the difficult stuff is done for them and the goal is gifted on a platter.

I seriously cannot believe so many "fans" are willing jettison a lad that loves the club like Ross; and in the same breath heap praise a media darling who fancies a move to Chelsea, and a gaffer that cares about Everton only as much as it helps him get to Camp Nou.

As fans we are suppose to understand and appreciate the game, so why are we acting like a bunch of Old Trafford card board cut-outs? We are Everton fans; we are suppose to be better than this.

It seems if he doesn't get the actual assist, he isn't given the credit. But often times, he is always the driving force in our attacks.
I think it'd be a disaster if we don't get a contract worked out. He's a local player who looks really at home there on those new kit photo-shoots with the other young players coming through. This is his home.

He may not be perfect, but he still has many years to develop. Before last season, we were all frustrated with Lukaku and his horrendous first touch... and now it doesn't even seem to be an issue? I think Barkley / Davies could be a very strong partnership for many years to come & be great ambassadors for the club but we're all prepared to ship Barkley out the door because Koeman doesn't rate him or believes we can easily replace and have somebody who provides more goals?

I think we all know Koeman isn't going to be here for the long term, yet when he decides to ship our young talent out of the door, we're all going to back his decision as Sigurdson could score more goals?

As far as i'm concerned, i'd rather have Barkley all day everyday instead of Sigurdson even if he provides a greater output. Why? Because local & community should stand for something. The great success of the united era is admirable with what they achieved with their academy talent, as is the current spine of the spurs line up. I wouldn't want to move to our new stadium, only to be the next Manchester City, a team built purely on finance & not a local lad in the team.

There are too many on here who are far too happy to sell Ross, a 35m caliber player? An Evertonian, a local lad, without knowing / hearing his side of the story & let's bring in a foreign player because his name sounds refreshing.
When did we become so successful that we become determined to sell players like Ross Barkley and not fight to keep him? Even IF his head has been turned (which we don't know the truth), why not fight to keep him, convince him.

Sign the contract Ross. The futures bright at Everton.

It seems if he doesn't get the actual assist, he isn't given the credit. But often times, he is always the driving force in our attacks.
I think it'd be a disaster if we don't get a contract worked out. He's a local player who looks really at home there on those new kit photo-shoots with the other young players coming through. This is his home.

He may not be perfect, but he still has many years to develop. Before last season, we were all frustrated with Lukaku and his horrendous first touch... and now it doesn't even seem to be an issue? I think Barkley / Davies could be a very strong partnership for many years to come & be great ambassadors for the club but we're all prepared to ship Barkley out the door because Koeman doesn't rate him or believes we can easily replace and have somebody who provides more goals?

I think we all know Koeman isn't going to be here for the long term, yet when he decides to ship our young talent out of the door, we're all going to back his decision as Sigurdson could score more goals?

As far as i'm concerned, i'd rather have Barkley all day everyday instead of Sigurdson even if he provides a greater output. Why? Because local & community should stand for something. The great success of the united era is admirable with what they achieved with their academy talent, as is the current spine of the spurs line up. I wouldn't want to move to our new stadium, only to be the next Manchester City, a team built purely on finance & not a local lad in the team.

There are too many on here who are far too happy to sell Ross, a 35m caliber player? An Evertonian, a local lad, without knowing / hearing his side of the story & let's bring in a foreign player because his name sounds refreshing.
When did we become so successful that we become determined to sell players like Ross Barkley and not fight to keep him? Even IF his head has been turned (which we don't know the truth), why not fight to keep him, convince him.

Sign the contract Ross. The futures bright at Everton.

Then there's two camps of thought.

One is longevity and nurturing talent to build on and a manager in for the long haul.

The other is a manager who has 3 season to win stuff, will buy ready made talent, use academy kids as squad players.

We honestly think Davies, DCL, Lookman, Holgate, Williams, Kenny etc will be first on the sheet? I like the idea, but even I know he'll want ready made players in order to give them a shot.

He's already said he's looking at players at 28 while Walsh is looking long term

Then there's two camps of thought.

One is longevity and nurturing talent to build on and a manager in for the long haul.

The other is a manager who has 3 season to win stuff, will buy ready made talent, use academy kids as squad players.

We honestly think Davies, DCL, Lookman, Holgate, Williams, Kenny etc will be first on the sheet? I like the idea, but even I know he'll want ready made players in order to give them a shot.

He's already said he's looking at players at 28 while Walsh is looking long term
Just finding a balance. I'm not looking for / expecting a team of only home grown players. But Ross Barkely is hardly at the level of DCL.
Barkley is quality. Yes he has flaws and lots to improve on, but overall, he is a quality player & we'd be foolish not to do everything in our power to keep him. All because Koeman (who'll be off whenever he gets a better offer) wants immediate success to improve his CV.

Interesting article by Paul Jouce released just now in The Times - have pasted it below for anyone that isnt a subscriber. Nothing to revealing from Joyce but an interesting read nonetheless.

"It is the starkness to Ronald Koeman’s words whenever he speaks of Ross Barkley, and the constant insinuations that this is a talent falling short, that fuel the impression of a total disconnect between player and manager.

And yet Koeman, of course, knows exactly how the midfielder is feeling. A year ago the Dutchman himself was prevaricating over a new contract, while suggesting there was nothing unsettling about entering the final 12 months of his deal.

“The main reason [I left Southampton] was that we did not agree about my last year of contract,” he said of the events leading to his move to Everton last summer.

Koeman does not perceive him to be indispensable and Barkley, valued at £50 million, has to ask himself why
“I mentioned to the club I would like to continue and go into my last year. Then, during the season, we would have time to discuss about the future.

“They said it’s not good because we like to know the future. I said it was not a problem because I signed three times a one-year contract with Feyenoord in Holland.”

There is an obvious contradiction in Koeman’s stance then and his position now in demanding Barkley decides whether he wants to extend a contract, which has a year to run, before Sunday’s final league game against Arsenal or face being sold.

Koeman can argue he is trying to protect his club and that it does not make financial sense to allow a player to enter the final 12 months of a deal. But Southampton could point out that signing players one summer for a manager who might not be there the next would not be a sound policy.

Yet the impression lingers that if it was not this, then the Dutchman would find another reason to pick a fight with Barkley. The bottom line is that he does not perceive him to be indispensable and Barkley, valued at £50 million, has to ask himself why.

Now that relations have become somewhat strained, it is easy to forget that, in the beginning, Koeman gave Barkley a nudge forward.

Barkley was made captain for the EFL Cup tie against Yeovil Town in August and celebrated his goal on the night by paying tribute to the passing of Sid Benson, the prolific Everton scout who first spotted him.

After carrot has come stick. Time and time again.

The sight of Barkley being hauled off at half-time of the win over Sunderland in September, the first game after he had been left out of the England squad, confirmed Koeman as a man not swayed by reputation.

Koeman had been quoted on the morning of the match saying the player needed to look at himself, rather than questioning whether he had been let down by the managers in his career, and his treatment that night redrew the boundaries.

The arm-round-the-shoulder and offer of the armband was replaced by a series of verbal jabs designed to provoke a reaction from Barkley and it is nonsense for Koeman to suggest he is merely answering his inquisitor’s questions. He is all too happy to plead the Fifth Amendment when it suits him.

Initially, the digs only gnawed at confidence. In a game at Burnley, Barkley backed himself to make the difference, unleashing one shot before immediately turning to seek approval from Koeman on the touchline.

Their relationship has complicated contract talks even if the reality is that, over time, Koeman’s tough love approach has coaxed Barkley back into form and back into the England squad. Barkley deserves credit for rising to the challenge, but there is little harmony.

So much so that when Barkley was dropped for the recent defeat against Swansea City, it is likely he spied a scapegoat when he looked in the mirror rather than someone who needed to react to a poor display against Chelsea the previous week.

When he hears Koeman talking up Romelu Lukaku, who may have two years, not one, to run on his contract but who has made clear he does not want to stay at Everton, he is likely to stew on how their treatment is so different even if, deep down, he knows the answer.

Two questions have been raised throughout Barkley’s contract stand-off: Where will he go? Will he play at another club? Tottenham Hotspur have been repeatedly linked and now there are noises about the likes of Arsenal, Manchester City and Manchester United. It is hard to see Barkley featuring week in, week out ahead of Dele Alli, Mesut Özil, David Silva and Henrikh Mkhitaryan unless he produces greater consistency.

And yet, despite the swell of advice that the player should remain at an ambitious, forward-thinking club newly qualified for the Europa League, Koeman’s latest comments hardly smooth the path towards reconciliation.

He has been open in suggesting Everton will be signing attacking midfielders in Barkley’s position this summer, players who can provide more goals. By delaying a decision on his future Koeman will expect Barkley to be put up for sale. Sign a new contract and, it seems, the boyhood Evertonian is still not sure of playing.

No wonder the situation has not been sorted out swiftly."
@MorgsGoat what are your thoughts on that ^^^ Paul Joyce piece?

Just finding a balance. I'm not looking for / expecting a team of only home grown players. But Ross Barkely is hardly at the level of DCL.
Barkley is quality. Yes he has flaws and lots to improve on, but overall, he is a quality player & we'd be foolish not to do everything in our power to keep him. All because Koeman (who'll be off whenever he gets a better offer) wants immediate success to improve his CV.

Which leads back to why I don't like how he's dealt with the situation.

He needs a GK, CB, LB, RB, LW, S, RW. Now he needs 2 creative midfielders.

I hope Barkley stays. Sigurdson aside, there's no-one to replace him (and I'm not even very keen on the Icelander...he's OK for Swansea but we should aspire for higher)

We could replace him easily

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back