Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Barkley its a case of him being able to live up to the hype created by others, and its a big weight on his shoulders. Lallana was awful last night, and Sterlings international reputation is nosediving now that his inability to beat a man fairly other than through pace is being recognised. I wonder if sometimes Barkley can cope with the expectancy placed upon him, mainly by Evertonians in need of a local hero, and latterly, due to injuries to his favourites, by Roy Hodgson. Maybe Barkley is better than some people think, but not as good as others think. Maybe he is another potential that will not be fully realised, maybe within three years he will be 'world class', but it is a fact that currently he is more miss than hit in an England shirt, although he's had a better season so far with Everton(although he's been far from exceptional...more frustrating than anything.). Rooney in ten minutes was more prominent than Barkley, Lallana, Sterling and others had been in the previous 80 minutes...but then Rooney IS 'world class' and has proved it many times.
Rooney being 'world class' is far from certain. Barkley has had a better season than him so far. A few minutes for England doesn't change that.

No offence like but lots of people will say its not an excellent album, i.e.: people who don't like Beatles tribute acts and british indie music... of which there are many millions.

Haha, I quite like this Barkley/Album analogy. Without purposely straying way too far off topic...

And really, Oasis were far from indie, they were in it for the money and the lifestyle and to be the biggest in the world - give me 'Live Forever' over 'Creep' any day. They were rock n roll and they made sure everyone knew it (agree or disagree) and the comparisons to the Beatles were lazy at the time and even lazier now. If you're gonna try and be anything, might as well be the best - and as a debut you don't get many better than that.

The same applies for Barkley, in a way. He's a rock n roll player - he has that arrogance and presence on the pitch but unfortunately at times (either due to a certain overconfidence or manager's tactics or poor form or a combination of all of them) he fails to show it.

But he's had a good start to the season and he'd get into most midfield's in the Premier League. And some of us are moaning. We deserve all we get, sometimes.

He was poor last night but lallana and sterling were absolutely atrocious, especially lallana who constantly passed to a Spanish player.

I hate seeing our English lads play for the senior team

Haha, I quite like this Barkley/Album analogy. Without purposely straying way too far off topic...

And really, Oasis were far from indie, they were in it for the money and the lifestyle and to be the biggest in the world - give me 'Live Forever' over 'Creep' any day. They were rock n roll and they made sure everyone knew it (agree or disagree) and the comparisons to the Beatles were lazy at the time and even lazier now. If you're gonna try and be anything, might as well be the best - and as a debut you don't get many better than that.

The same applies for Barkley, in a way. He's a rock n roll player - he has that arrogance and presence on the pitch but unfortunately at times (either due to a certain overconfidence or manager's tactics or poor form or a combination of all of them) he fails to show it.

But he's had a good start to the season and he'd get into most midfield's in the Premier League. And some of us are moaning. We deserve all we get, sometimes.

I think Oais is a good comparison with Barkley.

He'd be Wonderwall one game, then some god awful generic half arsed crap the next.

When he's good, he's one of the best. When he's bad, he's bloody awful.

He's not gonna be Wonderwall in every game, he just needs to try and be somewhat better when he's having bad games. No harm in being anonymous or quite in a game when you're his age. But he doesn't even reach that standard sometimes, he still makes the same mistakes and has the same problems he did when he first came into the team 4 years ago.

It might come, it might not. Even if it doesn't we've still got a damn good player. Just not one as good as he could be.

I think Oais is a good comparison with Barkley.

He'd be Wonderwall one game, then some god awful generic half arsed crap the next.

When he's good, he's one of the best. When he's bad, he's bloody awful.

He's not gonna be Wonderwall in every game, he just needs to try and be somewhat better when he's having bad games. No harm in being anonymous or quite in a game when you're his age. But he doesn't even reach that standard sometimes, he still makes the same mistakes and has the same problems he did when he first came into the team 4 years ago.

It might come, it might not. Even if it doesn't we've still got a damn good player. Just not one as good as he could be.

Hahah yeh. What you see is what you get.

Really don't see the point in slating the lad. He's going to get better with time, but it's probably the nature of his game that he will always frustrate some fans as he may not play a perfect pass, or go on a blistering run etc...

Rooney being 'world class' is far from certain. Barkley has had a better season than him so far. A few minutes for England doesn't change that.
Even when Rooney is 'out of form' he takes up positions, thinks the game, contributes tackles and makes himself available...Barkley just seems to shy away from any involvement, and makes this pretty obvious.

With Barkley its a case of him being able to live up to the hype created by others, and its a big weight on his shoulders. Lallana was awful last night, and Sterlings international reputation is nosediving now that his inability to beat a man fairly other than through pace is being recognised. I wonder if sometimes Barkley can cope with the expectancy placed upon him, mainly by Evertonians in need of a local hero, and latterly, due to injuries to his favourites, by Roy Hodgson. Maybe Barkley is better than some people think, but not as good as others think. Maybe he is another potential that will not be fully realised, maybe within three years he will be 'world class', but it is a fact that currently he is more miss than hit in an England shirt, although he's had a better season so far with Everton(although he's been far from exceptional...more frustrating than anything.). Rooney in ten minutes was more prominent than Barkley, Lallana, Sterling and others had been in the previous 80 minutes...but then Rooney IS 'world class' and has proved it many times.

You are dead right there (bolded). The expectancy level on Barkley has become unrealistic....a saviour he is not a good player he is. Last night he was starved of the ball and he was even dropping back to try and collect it, but when he did get the ball he lay of some neat passes and of course a couple of snatched shots (the shots will be what everyone will remember, unfairly). He still possesses the unknown quantity when he is on the ball and considering his age it is not a bad thing. Expectation levels need to be dropped on Barkley or he will never be allowed (by the public) to reach a level that will satisfy all, because for what level he reaches fans will expect that little bit more and that is when (as now) negatives are unfairly found in him and concentrated on.
Have a read of this and this is what I see in Barkley

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...at-home-on-same-pitch-as-Spanish-masters.html

I do disagree with the Rooney comment on being World Class....he was a good few years back in the PL and I honestly do not remember any memoriable game from him in an England shirt in a tournament since he was an Everton player.

Just feel that unless Barkley puts in motm performances week in week out then he will be slaughtered by our own fans. We have to let him get on with things without dissection

Experience has a big bearing on games like this, which Rooneyhas and BArkley doesn't, hence why Rooney is able to slot into a game like that off the bench. Games like this are a learning curve, this will be the first game Barkley has played for England against superior opposition if I'm not mistaken, the experience will do him good in the long run.

He was poor last night but lallana and sterling were absolutely atrocious, especially lallana who constantly passed to a Spanish player.

I hate seeing our English lads play for the senior team

I can be a bit critical of ross at times ,but I thought he was very neat and tidy yesterday, without being spectacular. I make you right on the other 2 though, lallana is a joke of a player at the minute and sterling needs 3 touches to control a ball(steal at 50 m) ha ha

Experience has a big bearing on games like this, which Rooneyhas and BArkley doesn't, hence why Rooney is able to slot into a game like that off the bench. Games like this are a learning curve, this will be the first game Barkley has played for England against superior opposition if I'm not mistaken, the experience will do him good in the long run.
some of his one touch passing was a joy yesterday ,when the rest of the side plus the captain Hart just choked.

It was always going to be difficult for Barkley to shine last night anyway. England were starved of the ball, and when they did gain possession, gave it away again with alarming regularity.

Barkley wasn't spectacular, but he was neat and tidy, kept possession and found his team mates with his passes, unlike the rest of the team, apart from Rooney.

People being overly critical of him yet again.

Sterling, Lallana and Delph were all notably worse in a side that was not up for the job from the outset.

People being overly critical of him yet again.

Sterling, Lallana and Delph were all notably worse in a side that was not up for the job from the outset.

FWIW McNulty rated Delph and Barkley 6...he rated Sterling and Lallana both 5. Carrick was given a 4.

I wasn't able to watch the match, but was Smalling deserving of MOTM? McNulty gave it to him.

Even when Rooney is 'out of form' he takes up positions, thinks the game, contributes tackles and makes himself available...Barkley just seems to shy away from any involvement, and makes this pretty obvious.
It was not always this way though. In the Young England sides, especially when he played for the U21s (though at an age well below 20) he used to run the show from box to box. He'd demand and get the ball from the back 4, he'd invariably go striding forward, and when it came to end product he invariably made the right decisions with delicious weighting in his passing. No wonder at that stage of his development the likes of Trevor Brooking were drooling over him. He has undoubtedly gone backwards since then, particularly in his lack of central involvement, with big chunks of matches passing him by.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back