Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW McNulty rated Delph and Barkley 6...he rated Sterling and Lallana both 5. Carrick was given a 4.

I wasn't able to watch the match, but was Smalling deserving of MOTM? McNulty gave it to him.

Yeah seems fair to me - Delph rating is generous, I'd have given him a 4. Smalling was OK.

without being biased, the 3 of stones, baines and barkley should be in England's best XI right now without a second's thoughy. Smalling's been brilliant so i think he deserves to be ahead of jagielka right now, but the other 3 should be shoe ins.

I don't think hodgson has done bad at England, he hasn't had a great squad of players in his whole tenure, not compared to the previous bosses for sure, but they're never going to do anything of note with them because he's reminiscent of moyes' final years here - plays it too safe. I said it before the WC, England need to look to the future because they won't even get out of their group - but he still picks players like gary cahill.

They haven't had one test in qualifying, so they arrange friendlies against some top class teams - this is the perfect time to get the youngsters to form partnerships, you're looking at smalling with stones; kane, barkley, oxlade-chamberlain and sterling as an attacking quartet. The future's not dreadful, but they should be heading to the next WC as a fully gelled unit coming into their prime years. They won't be. You'll still have phil jones' and james milner's knocking around the place.

I'm at a loss why he would pick Jones above Stones? It makes absolutely no logical sense to me at all. The only thing would be if he wanted to make sure we were solid at the back and went for the two who had game time together...but then why do that when you have the chance to bring Stones in next to Smalling?

Its just totally bizarre.

without being biased, the 3 of stones, baines and barkley should be in England's best XI right now without a second's thoughy. Smalling's been brilliant so i think he deserves to be ahead of jagielka right now, but the other 3 should be shoe ins.

I don't think hodgson has done bad at England, he hasn't had a great squad of players in his whole tenure, not compared to the previous bosses for sure, but they're never going to do anything of note with them because he's reminiscent of moyes' final years here - plays it too safe. I said it before the WC, England need to look to the future because they won't even get out of their group - but he still picks players like gary cahill.

They haven't had one test in qualifying, so they arrange friendlies against some top class teams - this is the perfect time to get the youngsters to form partnerships, you're looking at smalling with stones; kane, barkley, oxlade-chamberlain and sterling as an attacking quartet. The future's not dreadful, but they should be heading to the next WC as a fully gelled unit coming into their prime years. They won't be. You'll still have phil jones' and james milner's knocking around the place.

Starved of the ball Ross was still the only creative outlet. Ok Jones and Smalling were solid ,however their distribution was hoofball.
Disappointed though not surprised that the commentators did not pick up on the fact that Stones would've provided a superior offensive basis for the midfield to be able to flourish, ie.by being able to pass

Barkleys through ball to Sterling was sublime, as was that turn, some other neat play as well, but overall an average gaem.. so far beyond most of the England performance yesterday.

He played very well again, good defensive work, kept the ball well. Very deep to get the ball of stones and car crash, showed another part to his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back