Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it was common knowledge that since he switched agents a few years back that they've been angling for a move to City for time?

City were deffo interested prior to Pep joining, don't know where that stands now. I presume, and I'm not weaseling here, that City say in the next 18 months will move to a younger, more homegrown influenced side that Pep can really build into something.
There was lots of talk at one time about City doing detailed checks into his off-field character - the bar fight might have been a black eye in that respect but they hired Sterling who had far more problems so doubt it would pit them off much and as you say fits with Pep's supposed philosophy.

Have I missed something....? Is he gone???

I'm going to assume he is staying til the club says otherwise. I know Rom is going, but I think Ross may well stay.

He doesn't have to move (ala McManaman or Owen from the shi..), so the stance might be wrong because if he is still one of our players, do we just not play him?

How can it be wrong? If he's not moved on, his sits out his contract, and in 12 months time we get sod all, while he negotiates withhis new club a lot more weekly wage, because they are not shelling out around £25 million on a transfer fee. Given his refusal to sign a new contract, we move him on, otherwise he shafts us good-style...

Somebody else posted this, sorry, I missed who and in what thread, but it makes for very interesting reading.

You can see Barkley there trying more vertical passes from deeper central positions while Sigurdsson is all about putting the ball in the box from out wide.

This is where Sigurdsson’s game falls down. He’s well below average at making the more difficult passes stick. Evertonians will be interested to note that Sigurdsson profiles like a poor man’s Rooney here or a very poor man’s Coutinho/Silva/Ozil/Firmino.

Barkley on the other hand is above average at making more difficult passes stick and profiles as a poor man’s Yaya Toure, or a very poor man’s Fabregas.

On top of this, over the last two years Sigurdsson’s involvement has dropped to the point where Barkley is passing the ball twice as much as the Icelander during a game.

Neither comes out as anything like the man to take Everton onwards and upwards but Barkley is a clear winner in the general passing stakes.

I was surprised by how poorly my model rates Sigurdsson’s passing. It’s one you’d want further opinions on from the video guys and the scouts in the stand.

https://differentgame.wordpress.com...out-gylfi-sigurdsson-v-ross-barkley-part-one/

@LinekersLegs @Connor @Brownie
Just getting a chance to read this properly, as you say interesting reading.

Quick question as haven't seen this k-means clusting before. He says that the data has been taken from the last two years but in that time we haven't really had anyone who is a natural #10 in the squad, so wonder how much of an influence that was in this assessment "Nominally, Sigurdsson is more of a 10 than Barkley. Actually, however, the difference between the two is pretty small with both lying on the edge of their clusters about to overlap. Do they play in the same position? Most of the time, yes".

Wonder if Ross felt he had to move up higher on the pitch than he would naturally prefer, both to avoid stepping on the toes of more defensive minded players like Barry and because otherwise we'd have a gap. Just wondering how that would affect the results, especially as he already seems to win back the ball in deeper areas anyway so a deeper role might well suit him better anyway.

Just getting a chance to read this properly, as you say interesting reading.

Quick question as haven't seen this k-means clusting before. He says that the data has been taken from the last two years but in that time we haven't really had anyone who is a natural #10 in the squad, so wonder how much of an influence that was in this assessment "Nominally, Sigurdsson is more of a 10 than Barkley. Actually, however, the difference between the two is pretty small with both lying on the edge of their clusters about to overlap. Do they play in the same position? Most of the time, yes".

Wonder if Ross felt he had to move up higher on the pitch than he would naturally prefer, both to avoid stepping on the toes of more defensive minded players like Barry and because otherwise we'd have a gap. Just wondering how that would affect the results, especially as he already seems to win back the ball in deeper areas anyway so a deeper role might well suit him better anyway.

No idea Sis.

But Ross hasnt really had a nailed down spot, hes been played in the hole, on the wing as a 3, deeper, but players will always try and go to the part of the pitch they are most comfortable on.

How can it be wrong? If he's not moved on, his sits out his contract, and in 12 months time we get sod all, while he negotiates withhis new club a lot more weekly wage, because they are not shelling out around £25 million on a transfer fee. Given his refusal to sign a new contract, we move him on, otherwise he shafts us good-style...

We can't actually make him move!

I like barkley and sad to see him go but the Icelandic bloke and klaasen are both way better in my view. Certainly they score more than Barkley.

Translation: People want to see new players in the Everton strip, whatever the cost... Even if it does mean losing a quality homegrown player... Even if Klaasen does flop & can't hack the premier league & just has a fancy name.

Koff the lot of yas :)

There was lots of talk at one time about City doing detailed checks into his off-field character - the bar fight might have been a black eye in that respect but they hired Sterling who had far more problems so doubt it would pit them off much and as you say fits with Pep's supposed philosophy.
I think he loses the ball a little too much for Guardiola. His midfielders typically have it glued to their feet :)

I think he loses the ball a little too much for Guardiola. His midfielders typically have it glued to their feet :)

He doesn't though - his dispossession rate is not far off Ozil etc.

Barkley often has no intelligent movement ahead of him, so on occasion he'll be stuck for options, turn and get smothered - when that happens, they catch the eye and linger in the mind, but they're not as common as people make out.

He doesn't though - his dispossession rate is not far off Ozil etc.

Barkley often has no intelligent movement ahead of him, so on occasion he'll be stuck for options, turn and get smothered - when that happens, they catch the eye and linger in the mind, but they're not as common as people make out.
But Guardiola didn't apparently show much sign of being interested in Ozil either
http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...s-move-to-barcelona-to-collapse-a3480491.html
Ozil added: “Before I travelled to Barcelona, I was convinced that was my next club. I was leaning toward joining Barcelona. There was no team in the world that played more beautiful football.

“But Guardiola did not attend talks and he did not call me either the days after. He did not even send me a text. He did not show me that he wanted to sign me as well. My interest in a move to Barcelona quickly decreased.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back