Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
See, I don't see it that way. It's like people have it stuck in their FIFA/FM brains that playing Kone and Clev out wide is immediately narrowing the play. I've watched the games, and it's simply not the case. Everyone wants to see Del and Mirallas starting on the wings...fair enough if we try it, but for me Del is an impact sub...that's his role.

I won't disagree with you that Barkley should be deeper...Bobby also sees it IMO. His subs in the Watford match show that. People want to slate him for being stubborn, but he completely changed the shape for the Watford match and did the same for Barnsley. Maybe he's gun shy away vs a PL side.

My gut feeling is that Bobby hoped Ross would be his #10 to bring help him to CL football. He's realized that while Ross offers loads, he's not the locksmith we need to unlock those parked buses.
Again, your salient points are noted. Where we disagree is that I feel that Martinez is inherently (nowadays) a very conservative manager. He sets up our team in a fashion that, personnel-wise, does not play best to Barkley's talents. It is for this reason that I maintain my contention that he is not good for developing Ross's talent. We agree to disagree to on this...that's ok

Again, your salient points are noted. Where we disagree is that I feel that Martinez is inherently (nowadays) a very conservative manager. He sets up our team in a fashion that, personnel-wise, does not play best to Barkley's talents. It is for this reason that I maintain my contention that he is not good for developing Ross's talent. We agree to disagree to on this...that's ok

Well I am going to say I win because I got you posting sound :P

I understand your view...let's see how TDD goes.

Well I am going to say I win because I got you posting sound :p

I understand your view...let's see how TDD goes.
I just want to see Martinez circa 2013/14 again. His newfound negative, conservative set up mentality angers me. We have some talent in this club, and his set up inhibits it...it does not propagate creativity, expression of that talent. Frustrated is what I am mate

I just want to see Martinez circa 2013/14 again. His newfound negative, conservative set up mentality angers me. We have some talent in this club, and his set up inhibits it...it does not propagate creativity, expression of that talent. Frustrated is what I am mate
That for me is 100% correct. Can you see him changing his ways though? I can't. His change completely baffles me.

vs. Spurs didn't Barkley play in essentially the same position in the same set-up as vs. Southampton ?
Yep he did but Spurs defence countered this by pushing a high back line which left Ross floundering in the middle surrounded by opposing players. This same tactic helped cancel out Seamus because Kone cannot read his runs, Seamus burst forward many times only to find Kone heading across the park having ignored his burst and then passing to Ross who was as beset as the Alamo. Basically unless you can get a player who will create then negative results are the outcome normal via an over worked defence as we found on Saturday/

Yep he did but Spurs defence countered this by pushing a high back line which left Ross floundering in the middle surrounded by opposing players. This same tactic helped cancel out Seamus because Kone cannot read his runs, Seamus burst forward many times only to find Kone heading across the park having ignored his burst and then passing to Ross who was as beset as the Alamo. Basically unless you can get a player who will create then negative results are the outcome normal via an over worked defence as we found on Saturday/

evertonians! very very wind

If he'd have played deep, we would have won. Instead for the second season running we allowed Ryan Mason and Bebtsleb, a pairing other teams regularly bulldoze, to have the run of the park because Barry and McCarthy weren't good enough to touch them. Besic and Barkley would have absolutely destroyed them and allowed us to unleash Mirallas Lukaku and Deulofeu in advanced positions against a dodgy back line. Barkley barely got into the game because he didn't get the ball of the axis of evil.

If he'd have played deep, we would have won. Instead for the second season running we allowed Ryan Mason and Bebtsleb, a pairing other teams regularly bulldoze, to have the run of the park because Barry and McCarthy weren't good enough to touch them. Besic and Barkley would have absolutely destroyed them and allowed us to unleash Mirallas Lukaku and Deulofeu in advanced positions against a dodgy back line. Barkley barely got into the game because he didn't get the ball of the axis of evil.

I'd have liked to have seen the Besic / Barkley combo too. Basically as we finished against Barnsley with Seamus at RB.

I still remain unconvinced by McCarthy and / or his best role.

big season now, will almost certainly play most games behind rom...started well, lets see if he can become a more intelligent footballer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back