Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
As has been pointed out - why on earth would England 'build a midfield' around Barkley. The distance between the hype this lad gets and what he actually does on a football pitch is just light years.
Pretty sure Shelvey will have more assists than Ross in the last year for a start.
'Most talented player in the national side'? What nonsense.
I think the people who are saying he would need a team built around him aren't saying it because they believe the hype but rather because it's a way of saying there's no room for him in the team.

They're basically saying he's another Le Tissier.

I think yesterday was another perfect example of where barkley should be playing, stuck in the middle in a 3 he seemed pretty lost for half the game but once kane came on and rooney dropped back, his game just totally changed once sitting in the centre with a partner, his confidence totally changed and it just showed why we been calling out for a no10 all this time, just hope bobby was watching. ross needs to be sitting in the centre of the pitch with the game ahead of him
I wouldn't count on it and if he does it will be Kone.

I think the people who are saying he would need a team built around him aren't saying it because they believe the hype but rather because it's a way of saying there's no room for him in the team.

They're basically saying he's another Le Tissier.
He will (sadly) never be fit to wipe le Tissers hairy crack!

I've said it before, Ross has two major problems, he lacks a strong self- confidence and he lacks stamina! Both these flaws will prevent him becoming the next anybody, never mind another Ballack, Gascoyne or anyone else. It is a great shame, but I think this lad will be a good player at best, I cannot see him ever being the world leading talent a lot of people are touting hi to become. don't get me wrong, I would absolutely love to be proved wrong, but I can't see that I will be!

I think this season he's looking sharp to be honest .. upto now he's scoring , back driving forward and more encouraging I've seen him throw a few tackles in

But a part of me thinks he will drop off mid-season after such a strong start

Based on his current England and Everton form why would he build a team around him?

I agree with what your saying mate, why should he? But I would counter that with the fact that in form Barkley's best football has come from that role. He has the physical and technical attributes to play that role very well but anchoring him in midfield isn't going to improve what everyone knows is his major floor. Sheltering him from the situations he needs to learn from is not going to improve his decision making. I know they are slightly different players but when Liverpool had Gerrard coming through they played to his strengths, he learned the role and flourished into a world class player because of it. Gerrard dropped back into a deeper role later in his career as his legs went but you don't do that now while he's a young, explosive talent. I think another problem we have mate is he's pretty unique in his array of talents and what that means in terms of the position we all think is his best. It's not like we have a raft of similar older pros to teach him that driving creative role we all want him to be

Last edited:
Cleverly could have been a natural partner for Barkley in situations where we really shouldn't be playing with 2 CM anchors. Maybe we'll see some of that when he's healthy again.

In the meantime, push him up higher into the attack and let him build chemistry with Rom.

I agree with what your saying mate, why should he? But I would counter that with the fact that in form Barkley's best football has come from that role. He has the physical and technical attributes to play that role very well but anchoring him in midfield isn't going to improve what everyone knows is his major floor. Sheltering him from the situations he needs to learn from is not going to improve his decision making. I know they are slightly different players but when Liverpool had Gerrard coming through they played to his strengths, he learned the role and flourished into a world class player because of it. Gerrard dropped back into a deeper role later in his career as his legs went but you don't do that now while he's a young, explosive talent. I think another problem we have mate is he's pretty unique in his array of talents and what that means in terms of the position we all think is his best. It's not like we have a raft of similar older pros to teach him that driving creative role we all want him to be
If there's one person I'd want to mentor him it'd be Lampard. He didn't have the technical ability Ross has but his in game intelligence was fantastic. I think we have a wonderful prospect and potentially a superstar if managed right on our hands. But he doesn't merit a team being built round him yet.

I've said it before, Ross has two major problems, he lacks a strong self- confidence and he lacks stamina! Both these flaws will prevent him becoming the next anybody, never mind another Ballack, Gascoyne or anyone else. It is a great shame, but I think this lad will be a good player at best, I cannot see him ever being the world leading talent a lot of people are touting hi to become. don't get me wrong, I would absolutely love to be proved wrong, but I can't see that I will be!

Ross's only two major problems are called Martinez and Hodgson. Ross is an unbelievable player and could be England's answer to Ya Ya Toure turning out better than Gerrard or Lampard but he has a club manager that prefers slow defensive midfielders over him, and an international one that thinks Milner Henderson Delph snd Lalkana are better on the ball than Barkley.

If Fergie was still at United he would have paid a huge sum for him, ran him through the middle in a 442 playing him every game and he'd be one of the best players in the league without doubt.

Ross's only two major problems are called Martinez and Hodgson. Ross is an unbelievable player and could be England's answer to Ya Ya Toure turning out better than Gerrard or Lampard but he has a club manager that prefers slow defensive midfielders over him, and an international one that thinks Milner Henderson Delph snd Lalkana are better on the ball than Barkley.

If Fergie was still at United he would have paid a huge sum for him, ran him through the middle in a 442 playing him every game and he'd be one of the best players in the league without doubt.

Wow...why aren't you managing a club? You clearly know more that Martinez and owl face.

With the confidence you maybe right especially with England

But I'm not having the stamina one
At times it does look like he's not working hard for the team

But I saw stats last season after after a few games where he was up in the top 3/4 of km covered
And also saw stats from one of this seasons game and he was near the top again
And not far behind the player in 1st

I know it's a small sample size so it could be just coincidence on the games I have seen

It just says to me that he is working hard in different areas like the final 3rd and not the middle of the pitch
Because he doesn't sprint 20yards and fly into a tackle like McCarthy & Naismith doesn't mean he's not working for the team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back