Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't see all of the English game last night but the first half seemed fairly dull and uninspiring.
The second half was different and this was in no small part due to the introduction of Barkley. He was bright and I thought his movement was good. I didn't think he got the praise his performance deserved.

England have qualified from a second rate group, maximum points will tell you what the opposition is like.

If Roy Hodgson thinks that England will win anything with the team he started against Switzerland then the dementia has really taken hold.

I didn't see all of the English game last night but the first half seemed fairly dull and uninspiring.
The second half was different and this was in no small part due to the introduction of Barkley. He was bright and I thought his movement was good. I didn't think he got the praise his performance deserved.

England have qualified from a second rate group, maximum points will tell you what the opposition is like.

If Roy Hodgson thinks that England will win anything with the team he started against Switzerland then the dementia has really taken hold.

Barkley came on about 20 seconds into the first half, mate.

As has been pointed out - why on earth would England 'build a midfield' around Barkley. The distance between the hype this lad gets and what he actually does on a football pitch is just light years.
Pretty sure Shelvey will have more assists than Ross in the last year for a start.
'Most talented player in the national side'? What nonsense.
By the same token, I think he is an immensely talented player who, as the article from the Indy says, isn't utilising his talents or being utilised well by managers.

If you want to win international tournaments you have to put your faith in players like Barkley Wilshere and Oxlade Chamberlain. No matter how many 5/10s they give you, they have the ability to give you a 9/10, the ability at any point to hurt the best teams in the world. Play them in these Euros and we may go down in flames but they'll be even better for the World Cup. Playing Henderson Milner Lallana Shelvey Welbeck just guarantees you a 6 or 7/10 every time. They'll give you effort and industry and ensure you qualify for every tournament but it is not good enough to win any knock out rounds. Roy picking them is guaranteeing we won't win anything. He should gamble with the talented creative players no matter how raw he thinks they are.

As has been pointed out - why on earth would England 'build a midfield' around Barkley. The distance between the hype this lad gets and what he actually does on a football pitch is just light years.
Pretty sure Shelvey will have more assists than Ross in the last year for a start.
He wasn't great last night and looked like he was scared to make a mistake
Which is understandable from the criticism he has had
I also think this has filtered down to the media
Read a couple of journalists today say he's not ready and done nothing in 15 caps though he's only started 3 and San Marino was his first start since the World Cup

And has a lot of sub appearances for 15/20 minutes
And he's had some really good cameo performances which people forget once he has a average game

He also probably feels on trial
As he's not one of Roy's favourites
Sterling and the Ox have started more games especially in sterlings case
Both were also poor last night
But sterling could have 5 poor performances on the bounce and Roy will say nothing. And sterling knows he will be in the team come the euros

Also Henderson and delpth have been bang average
Henderson been a regular for 3yrs can anyone remember a great game
He was that poor in his last game he was moved to right back
Again both will probably start at the Euro's

And Barkley will-be/is better than shelvey and over the next 6/7 yrs will prove it

Negged2.gif

everyone was rubbish in the first half, literally everyone. He made less mistakes than both Shelvey and Milner that half as well.

I am not sure how many of you remember Colin Bell ?
He played for Man City at a time when they were a top club by having a good manager and money was not the determining factor about everything.

Colin Bell was a top quality midfielder at club level, but he struggled at international level for a long time. But , the manager/managers stuck with him and in time he justified their faith and turned into a very good international player.

I think Barkley may be a bit like Colin Bell, he doesn't seem to be the most vocal or even the most confident of young players. He needs a manager to believe in him , to stick with him and to have confidence in him.
I think that RM is the perfect manager for him at present, so enthusiastic , so supportive , so "phenomenal" in his belief in Barkley.
I think Barkley is beginning to feel at home in the Everton midfield and will continue to get better.

Roy Hodgson clearly has doubts about aspects of Barkleys game and is not prepared to gamble or take undue risks. When England gets to play the better European and world teams it is the best players that can help you win matches. If you play safe then you will always be the bridesmaid and never the bride.

If Hodgson does believe in Barkley , or Stones , or Kane , or Chamberlain or any other youngster then they need to play every available minute, they need to know they have the managers confidence and it will take time but they will prove themselves as good players at that level.

Roy Hodgson clearly has doubts about aspects of Barkleys game and is not prepared to gamble or take undue risks. When England gets to play the better European and world teams it is the best players that can help you win matches. If you play safe then you will always be the bridesmaid and never the bride.

If Hodgson does believe in Barkley , or Stones , or Kane , or Chamberlain or any other youngster then they need to play every available minute, they need to know they have the managers confidence and it will take time but they will prove themselves as good players at that level.

By the same token, I think it's time Ross started taking responsibility on the pitch by proving that he deserves to be there, through showing his talent and not just because he has potential.

I think it's great that he's getting a game for the national side, but taking the blue spectacles off, honestly I think he's a bit of a passenger. He needs to step up and grab the position by the balls and announce to the world that he is ready.

Didn't have a great game last night and his control was a bit loose but saying that I really don't think anyone played well. Barkley looked a little scared of trying his usual things and this just made him look an average safe player. His thinking when receiving the ball is a little slow also. He needs to thing [Poor language removed] it and play his usual game because that is what got him in the team in the first place. I hope his flamboyance and bravery is not being coached out of him or he will not become the player we expect. English players do not seem to be able to express themselves anymore as its deemed as risky and that's why England will win nothing. By the way Sterling was total dross but think Shaw played well even though he lost possession a few times. Baines England future looks bleak now.

I think yesterday was another perfect example of where barkley should be playing, stuck in the middle in a 3 he seemed pretty lost for half the game but once kane came on and rooney dropped back, his game just totally changed once sitting in the centre with a partner, his confidence totally changed and it just showed why we been calling out for a no10 all this time, just hope bobby was watching. ross needs to be sitting in the centre of the pitch with the game ahead of him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back