Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prob good to stick this in here too.

Not many people seem to have noticed the standard of expectation for a midfielder have now changed.

Its Gerrard and Lampard that have changed this, but ironically see the stats tell a different story.

Looking at the first 100 senior games, this is over approx 3/4 season.

Lampard
Games - 101
Goals -16
Ratio - 1 in 6
England caps at this point - 0

Gerrard
Games - 96
Goals - 9
Ratio - 1 in 11
England caps at this point - 2

Barkley
Games - 114
Goals - 14
Ratio - 1 in 8
England caps at this point - 14 and 1 goal

Problem is, they compare Ross now with how others were at 28, that's completely unfair. It should be compared as above.

Any chance you could do minutes instead of games and get assists as well? Although tbf I don't know if they recorded those things at the starts of their careers...

Any chance you could do minutes instead of games and get assists as well? Although tbf I don't know if they recorded those things at the starts of their careers...

Not to hand at the moment mate, they are the stats that would really paint a true picture of a true midfielder, not goals.

Im not sure why so much emphasis is put on goals from a midfielder, assist, goal scoring chances, completed dribbles, possession turnover & interceptions sats are more true.

I mainly used the goals, as that looks to be what ppl are using to have a pop at him.

Sometimes, people will see a goal, or a shot on MOTD, or even a rash tackle, maybe a confrontation, a free kick, a good corner, or even that 1 player celebrating the most, and use this to judge how good a player was in that game.

This is evident with Gerrard & Lampard in many games, Rio was a big one for this....had a terrible game but run 100 yards to celebrate the loudest onfront of the camera...the resulting opinion..."Great spirit & leadership...."

For me this is the main difference with England V Europe on how we watch a player, they look at all-round game and technique, we don't prioritise this as high.....resulting is us rating our own players differently to how Europe view them.

Sometimes, people will see a goal, or a shot on MOTD, or even a rash tackle, maybe a confrontation, a free kick, a good corner, or even that 1 player celebrating the most, and use this to judge how good a player was in that game.

This is evident with Gerrard & Lampard in many games, Rio was a big one for this....had a terrible game but run 100 yards to celebrate the loudest onfront of the camera...the resulting opinion..."Great spirit & leadership...."

For me this is the main difference with England V Europe on how we watch a player, they look at all-round game and technique, we don't prioritise this as high.....resulting is us rating our own players differently to how Europe view them.
We play a slow, laboured, and awkward style for England but I think its a bit of a stretch suggesting player performance is ignored by the manager in place of celebration style.

We play a slow, laboured, and awkward style for England but I think its a bit of a stretch suggesting player performance is ignored by the manager in place of celebration style.

Not Managers as such, its just what we look for in players as a nation, and what impresses us all from an early level.

Not Managers as such, its just what we look for in players as a nation, and what impresses us all from an early level.

Ah I see.. Yeah maybe right then mate..

Always remember Stuart Pearce going nuts at scoring a pen for England... but then he was also ace so I dunno if it influences anything, but it does stand out.

Or Gerrard sliding half the pitch whilst we laughed at him because it wasn't allowed and he hadn't realised. Off topic I know.. but any excuse to mention it lol

Well I'd still wish Barkley would grab the/a game by the scruff on the neck ! looks lost out there ! think Roy "he lost the ball 8 times " Hogdson really dented his confidence with that quote ! wasnt the same after that until this season ! now away with England again lets hope roy doesnt damage him some more !

Still think he looks a bit nervous for England and scared to make a mistake
I'm a huge fan Barkley and think he will be a fantastic player in time
Had a few poor 1st touches too
Sometime wish he would be more aggressive

Still think he looks a bit nervous for England and scared to make a mistake
I'm a huge fan Barkley and think he will be a fantastic player in time
Had a few poor 1st touches too
Sometime wish he would be more aggressive

Theyre all scared to make mistakes, they'd be labelled luxury players if they tried stuff.
the media cant wait to drag a young talented English player down as soon as he commits the cardinal sin of being le tissier esq

really hope martinez plays him deeper this year

even if in his mind he has to have barry and mccarthy on the pitch i'd still like to see ross breaking from a deeper position and then have two of mirallas, lennon and deulofeu more advanced alongside rom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back