Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
England really need to start playing him regularly to have a chance at the tournament. There's no one who has his technical ability on that team and against the better sides that will be the difference.

I don't think you've seen much of Smalling in that case then.
As for Barkley vs. Shelvey so far, thats open for debate. They've had a draw and a win vs. Chelsea and united and are unbeaten so far, whilst Ross has had two good games and two poor ones. Shelvey is so far the more consistent player.
What are you on about. He scored against Watford and was our MOM and scored again against Southampton and was our best outfield player against City and best attacking player against Spurs. Barkley has become this player that if Everton play well everyone says he played well and when the team play badly he gets blamed.

It's just not fair. He's not that kind of player yet, a player that can carry a whole team on his shoulders and we have to stop judging him like that. In time definitely he might become that but for now he needs better players around him - playing Deulofeu and Besic would be a start.

England really need to start playing him regularly to have a chance at the tournament. There's no one who has his technical ability on that team and against the better sides that will be the difference.
But Roy likes rigidity and no player movement or flair, from what I've seen, so he definitely won't be starting many games against good opposition or in the tournament.

Prob good to stick this in here too.

Not many people seem to have noticed the standard of expectation for a midfielder have now changed.

Its Gerrard and Lampard that have changed this, but ironically see the stats tell a different story.

Looking at the first 100 senior games, this is over approx 3/4 season.

Lampard
Games - 101
Goals -16
Ratio - 1 in 6
England caps at this point - 0

Gerrard
Games - 96
Goals - 9
Ratio - 1 in 11
England caps at this point - 2

Barkley
Games - 114
Goals - 14
Ratio - 1 in 8
England caps at this point - 14 and 1 goal

Problem is, they compare Ross now with how others were at 28, that's completely unfair. It should be compared as above.

Last edited:

Not many people seem to have noticed the standard of expectation for a midfielder have now changed.

Its Gerrard and Lampard that have changed this, but ironically see the stats tell a different story.

Lampard
Games - 101
Goals -16
Ratio - 1 in 6

Gerrard
Games - 96
Goals - 9
Ratio - 1 in 11

Barkley
Games - 114
Goals - 8
Ratio - 1 in 8

Problem is, they compare Ross now with how others were at 28, that's completely unfair. It should be compared as above.

I'm confused, Gerrard played less games, scored more goals and has a worse ratio?

Lampard
Games - 101
Goals -16
Ratio - 1 in 6

Gerrard
Games - 96
Goals - 9
Ratio - 1 in 11

Barkley
Games - 114
Goals - 14
Ratio - 1 in 8

Great post mate
Though I didn't know the exact stats like yourself
I would have had a bet just on memory

That Gerard lampard and even scholes weren't scoring 15/20 goals a season early in their careers

You will probably find as well Barkley has less minutes on the pitch
Though you have him on 114 games how many has he stated 70? And also he was getting substituted quite a lot

But Roy likes rigidity and no player movement or flair, from what I've seen, so he definitely won't be starting many games against good opposition or in the tournament.
That just a convenient narrative. Roy has been pretty good selecting promising youngsters and incorporating them in the set up. The players ready for the step up have been given the game time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back