Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Capable of the best and of the worst today, obviously the goal, the cross for Lukaku and also that shot in the first half being the very good, and missing a few 5 yard passes and breaking up several attacks being the awful.

I don't think he is a number 10, and playing in central midfield could keep bringing the best out of him and reduce the amount of silly mistakes, by giving him more time to control the ball, space to run into etc.

It seems many people feel the same, and if we do get a playmaker in I would expect Martinez to at least try playing Barkley next to McCarthy, particularly against weaker sides at home.
Every player misplaces passes. Ever since Roy has focused on that Barkley has become far too safe and it has killed the Barkley we saw in his first season.

I thought this was a very good performance for Ross and hopefully he builds off of this. His style of play and position will always lead to a few turnovers but you have to look at the positives.

-He looked strong on the ball and was able to shield off defenders.

-When played deeper, he did his job defensively as well.

-Two very good shops from deep. When the bus is parked those shots make the difference. If his first one was on either side of the goalie then he'd have 2 today.

-Played several key passes that lead to breaks for Everton.

I hope Martinez gets more confidence in playing a more box to box role. His positioning is not good enough when he is playing off the striker.

I am reading some comments and wondering which game you were all attending? Until the goal, Ross was utter terrible. He gave countless amounts of passes away, rarely looked forward and was very weak.

The goal will give him confidence - lets hope he kicks on.

But no way did he have a good game today (other than the goal, some nice little touches and after it).

What an elitist [Poor language removed] comment that is. You're king of opinions because you sat on a wooden seat with 20% of the pitch obstructed are you?

Pfft.

I love going to Goodison, but I never come away thinking I got a better view of the game.

Unless you have a photographic memory and the eyes of an eagle, the addition of replays, slow mo and different camera angles make it easier to analyse the game.

I watched a different game then - he lost possession constantly, messed up five yard passes and dallied on the ball and was dispossessed or killed momentum time and time again.

And I'm usually a massive advocate of him on here. I guess what you see as "trying to make stuff happen" is my "disrupting the flow of play by screwing up over and over again" really.

He made a couple of sloppy errors, I'll agree. But sometimes, you've just got to give credit to the opposition. I thought Watford looked decent today. They played well and looked solid. If that's what we can expect from this season, then they'll easily stay up.

I am reading some comments and wondering which game you were all attending? Until the goal, Ross was utter terrible. He gave countless amounts of passes away, rarely looked forward and was very weak.

The goal will give him confidence - lets hope he kicks on.

But no way did he have a good game today (other than the goal, some nice little touches and after it).

Got to just let him play his way out of it though.

The more he plays without fear and is allowed to make mistakes, the better the player he'll be.

He doesn't score rubbish goals either. Which is good.

Was in the Gwladys today for that strike and what a goal it was, and I felt Ross has a good second half all round.

I've just re-watched it and he played even better than first thought IMO, he created a lot and was unlucky not to score in the first half with that save from Gomes.

If he played like that every game and we took our chances we'd score plenty.

Thought he was absolutely abysmal first half (like many,it should be noted), same mistakes as always, head down.

Second half looked an entirely different player, quicker on the ball, keeping the play up. Not brilliant but better, much better.

Thought he was absolutely abysmal first half (like many,it should be noted), same mistakes as always, head down.

Second half looked an entirely different player, quicker on the ball, keeping the play up. Not brilliant but better, much better.
Maybe I just saw it differently but I totally disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back