Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon he'll improve if he gets a bit of encouragement, some players respond to boos and some are destroyed by them.

I reckon he's the latter. Needs a bit of TLC as it were.

Very much a confidence player, you can visibly see if his head's gone down or if he's riding high.

I reckon he'll improve if he gets a bit of encouragement, some players respond to boos and some are destroyed by them.

I reckon he's the latter. Needs a bit of TLC as it were.

Very much a confidence player, you can visibly see if his head's gone down or if he's riding high.

He is very much that player. He had some moments today (that through ball in the box to McCarthy was class) that shows me he's learning.

The goal he scored can only help.

He's not the finished article. He's also been playing in a team that's struggled for 12 months, under a manager who rightly or wrongly is using tactics and styles different to the norm.

Playing various different roles and never bar once or twice played his natural position which is a cm.

Being judged far to harshly by some blues. He should be treasured and spured on by the crowd. He's one of us and very gifted....

Give him reason's to want to stay not be open to leaving when the big clubs come knocking eh! (Which they will)

He's another player who isn't suited to the way we play... Feel a bit sorry for him really

Give him time, he will come good.

He has the ability, it seems to me he is thinking about everything too much. Centre midfield is the hardest position to play in my view.

He needs to relax and play from instinct, it's a crazy idea but I'd get Gazza to talk to him. He reminds me of a young Gazza but fear is holding him back.

I said this at the back end of last season
Barkley needs more options infront of him

The manager is doing him no favours playing a defensive system especially at home when teams set up to sit back and counter attack

Someone on Twitter said he needs to watch shelvey, who I think is a good player
But every time he got the ball yesterday
He's look up and see gomis, a quality number 10 in sigurdsson
And 2 fast players trying to make runs in behind in ayew & montero

Barkley had McCarthy and cleverly probably 5yards away most of the game and Barry behind him
Lukaku seems to play with his back to goal

So mirralas is the only player looking to make runs in behind
Against a packed defence

Hopefuly with this new number 10 coming in and geri in the team
Things will improve

If you look at Gerrards career he was made to look good by the quality of players ahead of him, Fowler, Owen, Torres, Suarez, Sturridge & Stirling. These players could stretch the game and make his Hollywood passes look great.
Compare this with Lukaku who cant stay onside when playing on the shoulder of the last defender, Naismith & Kone and you can understand why he is often forced to play a 5 yard pass as there is no other option.

I think this goes for the bulk of our side. They all seem so affected by the atmosphere in the ground.

I hate how quickly the crowd are turning on the team at the moment. It's literally minutes after kick-off. We're all frustrated by slow play, but Martinez's whole philosophy is built on patience.

The players try and play with it, but half the crowd are yelling at them if they have the temerity not to play a forward pass. It's no wonder we look slow - the players are having to weigh up opposing philosophies from the manager and the stands every time they touch the ball.

Ross seems to be the most affected of all by this.

Good video:

The bit at 2:25 infuriated me as if he'd released Lukaku then there was a good chance of him getting a shot away. I think a 7-7.5/10 would be fair for Ross's performance yesterday. He was probably our most dangerous player and made some brilliant passes. Some went astray and he dithered on the ball a bit but a good improvement all round I think.

If you look at Gerrards career he was made to look good by the quality of players ahead of him, Fowler, Owen, Torres, Suarez, Sturridge & Stirling. These players could stretch the game and make his Hollywood passes look great.
Compare this with Lukaku who cant stay onside when playing on the shoulder of the last defender, Naismith & Kone and you can understand why he is often forced to play a 5 yard pass as there is no other option.

Gerrard was a quality player, behave.

Maybe I just saw it differently but I totally disagree.

Are you going to say why?

The bit at 2:25 infuriated me as if he'd released Lukaku then there was a good chance of him getting a shot away. I think a 7-7.5/10 would be fair for Ross's performance yesterday. He was probably our most dangerous player and made some brilliant passes. Some went astray and he dithered on the ball a bit but a good improvement all round I think.

Guy next to me was like " he did the right thing there"

But, if he did what he doesn't do and gets his head up quicker, he would have seen Lukaku was through, and Ross has a good left foot, could have played him in.

Are you going to say why?

Guy next to me was like " he did the right thing there"

But, if he did what he doesn't do and gets his head up quicker, he would have seen Lukaku was through, and Ross has a good left foot, could have played him in.
Agreed. I think mostly yesterday he tried to do the right thing, with varying degrees of success. That moment was typical of Barkley of last season though.

That's the biggest difference between going and watching on TV for me. TV is great for close-ups and replays etc, but the camera obviously follows the ball and therefore the play. At the game you can watch the shape and formation of the team so much better than you ever can on telly.
You can also see what work players are doing off the ball that you might miss on tv I think. Can give you a totally different impression of a player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back